PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Artemis@BC
06-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh! You must get her To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77773.To_Say_Nothing_of_the_Dog?auto_login_attempt ed=true) I loved it. My non-sf reading daughter loved it (I left it lying on a table at her house). I want everyone to read it! It's a charming, funny, feel-good romp of a tale- perfect summer reading. It's got 4 1/2 stars on Goodreads!

Oh, I'd heard of that one, and she likes SF, so will do. Thanks.

I thought about adding Three Men and a Boat to her list, but it's more dog-adjacent than dog-themed. Maybe next year she'll do boats. :D

rfisher
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
The list is all over the place in terms of genre, though!
But I am dying of curiosity- what did you have against Jonathan Strange? Genre, plot, language?

I didn't like Jonathan Strange or the Historian either. Strange was so boring, I only made it through the first two chapters before it went in the library donation pile. The Historian had some moments, but overall, it too was pedantic and boring. I read it by skipping huge sections of angst and self-rumination. In fact, that was the dullest Dracula novel I've ever read. I would never read another book by either author.

Zemgirl
06-29-2012, 08:53 PM
I polled the well-read book bloggers I follow on Twitter for their favorite book to recommend to someone who gives them no restrictions. Thought it'd be interesting summer reading fodder. Here's what I got:

Happy reading! :)
This was definitely a nice idea and I hope people will find some good suggestions on either list... for me personally, I think it's best to have some idea of what the person one is recommending for likes. Or, in this case, to be familiar with the reading preferences of the person making the recs (I'm not, so I can't say whose tastes are likely to align with mine).

Anyway, the only one from either list that I've both read and liked is Fatherland; "what if Germany won WW2" has been done many times, but I really liked Harris's version.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog was awful. It actually made me hostile and I was hoping for a tragic end for all of them. It was also the first time everyone in my book club agreed about a book, though we did use it as an excuse to make French food, so it wasn't a total loss. ;)

jamesy
06-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I didn't like Jonathan Strange or the Historian either. Strange was so boring, I only made it through the first two chapters before it went in the library donation pile. The Historian had some moments, but overall, it too was pedantic and boring. I read it by skipping huge sections of angst and self-rumination. In fact, that was the dullest Dracula novel I've ever read. I would never read another book by either author.
I tried reading Jonathan Strange years ago and stopped. I kept meaning to get back into it but it's been so long now that I would have to start over at the beginning. So for now it sits on the shelf and mocks me.

Spinner
06-30-2012, 06:44 AM
This was definitely a nice idea and I hope people will find some good suggestions on either list... for me personally, I think it's best to have some idea of what the person one is recommending for likes. Or, in this case, to be familiar with the reading preferences of the person making the recs (I'm not, so I can't say whose tastes are likely to align with mine).

Oh I 100% agree, but I couldn't fit that into a tweet (only 140 characters). So this was a roundabout way of asking them what their personal favorite books are, and knowing they've read TONS I'd hope they're pretty good. Either way, I hope you all get some ideas from the list! I know I added 4 to my ridiculous TBR pile.

LilJen
06-30-2012, 10:56 PM
The Elegance of the Hedgehog was awful. It actually made me hostile and I was hoping for a tragic end for all of them. It was also the first time everyone in my book club agreed about a book, though we did use it as an excuse to make French food, so it wasn't a total loss. ;)
Really? I enjoyed it, although I wasn't thrilled about the ending. My only complaint was that it took some effort to get into it.

jl22aries
06-30-2012, 11:02 PM
http://www.upworthy.com/101-books-to-read-this-summer-instead-of-50-shades-of-grey

Cachoo
06-30-2012, 11:39 PM
I couldn't find this book at Target or any Half Price in DFW. I want to read it so bad.

I hope you found it.

Oleada good luck with your studies (and thanks for mentioning the book) and mirchu--tell us what you think after you finish it.

smurfy
07-01-2012, 03:45 AM

Sounds like a great bookclub!!

Spinner
07-01-2012, 06:24 AM
http://www.upworthy.com/101-books-to-read-this-summer-instead-of-50-shades-of-grey

This is freakin' awesome!

But...if you're really still intrigued by the 50 Shades phenomenon, here are some books of that same genre that are actually well-written and you know, are good.

The Siren (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10970532-the-siren) by Tiffany Reisz (the first of a trilogy). Ebook available now, paperback July 24.
With My Body (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13036048-with-my-body) by Nikki Gemmell. I know several readers really impressed with this one. She also wrote The Bride Stripped Bare several years ago as 'Anonymous' if anyone's familiar with the title.
Bared To You (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13451045-bared-to-you) by Sylvia Day. Fun fact about this book: Penguin wanted to capitalize on the 50 Shades wave and gave the book a new cover, here (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13572249-bared-to-you).
The Perfect Play (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8341567-the-perfect-play) by Jaci Burton. First in a series, these all have a sports figure bad-boy and have SMOKIN' hot covers ;)

Zemgirl
07-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Really? I enjoyed it, although I wasn't thrilled about the ending. My only complaint was that it took some effort to get into it.
I agree that it was more readable after a while; at the beginning I thought I wouldn't even finish it.

Sounds like a great bookclub!!
It is! We've been doing themed stuff for a while now, it's a lot more fun that way.

rfisher
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I tried reading Jonathan Strange years ago and stopped. I kept meaning to get back into it but it's been so long now that I would have to start over at the beginning. So for now it sits on the shelf and mocks me.

That's why you smack those books and donate them to the library. They get lost in all the other mocking books and cry like little girls.

immoimeme
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
It's all over the place, yes! Are you talking about the leering vampire face? Or when it's mentioned that his eyes are brown, just as Rosemary puts on a yellow dress that zips up the back? Or when he says "whoever she locked in got out" ?Nope. VERY early on, when they are at the restaraunt talking about the dakota apt, and some one they sorta know comes over to put in plug for the dakota apt and she turns to guy and says-something to the effect of- "Oh please guy! Tell them something!! You're a maaaaarvelous liar!" that's when I started having serrrrious doubts about ol' "nice" Guy,LOL

LilJen
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
It is! We've been doing themed stuff for a while now, it's a lot more fun that way.
Yes, we always have something to eat, and often it's related to the story somehow. One woman actually made potato peel pie when we discussed The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (kind of bland). We made Persian stuff (ranginak, a type of date cake, and a fruit salad) when we discussed Reading Lolita in Tehran. Just two examples of many of the things we've eaten over the years. Food is an essential part of the book group experience, you know. :P

immoimeme
07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
I liked the book "the Help" v v much, a wee bit more than the movie.

Now I hope I can find something else satisfying to read! Where the bloody hell are my interlibrary loans?!?!? It's not like they had to arrive from the other side of the world, eh. SIGH.