PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Spinner
06-26-2012, 03:42 AM
For you Jasper Fforde fans, his next "Thursday" book, The Woman Who Died A Lot (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13589159-the-woman-who-died-a-lot) comes out October 9th in the US (July 12th in the UK).

Wyliefan
06-26-2012, 03:59 AM
I saw that. Very excited! :)

TygerLily
06-26-2012, 04:52 AM
Almost finished with A Trick of the Light, part of the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penney. I'd never read one before my sister gave it to me, and am really liking it. If you end up liking it, consider reading the rest of the books in the series. With that one, my recommendation would be to read them in order since the characters develop over time, but, erm, too late! :)

For you Jasper Fforde fans, his next "Thursday" book, The Woman Who Died A Lot (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13589159-the-woman-who-died-a-lot) comes out October 9th in the US (July 12th in the UK).I've been devoted to Fforde, but couldn't finish his last Thursday Next. :( Should I go back and try again or do you think it's skippable? (i.e., Is it necessary to read it before the new one?)

Spinner
06-26-2012, 05:00 AM
I've been devoted to Fforde, but couldn't finish his last Thursday Next. :( Should I go back and try again or do you think it's skippable? (i.e., Is it necessary to read it before the new one?)

I've not read them, but I'm sure someone here can let you know.

TygerLily
06-26-2012, 05:07 AM
I've not read them, but I'm sure someone here can let you know.Oops. I thought you read everything. :o But thanks!

Wyliefan
06-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Hard to say when we don't know very much yet about the next book. But it's always seemed to me that each one builds at least a little on the one before it, so there might be things you won't understand without reading the last one.

Spinner
06-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Oops. I thought you read everything. :o But thanks!I try to read a lot, but everything? I wish! ;)

zaphyre14
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
On a flying trip through B&N last week, I picked up two books by Carol K. Carr because the covers promised mysteries about a Victorian madam. I opened the first one, "India Black" last night and could not put it down. The first line is "My name is India Black. I am a whore." :) She goes on to say that if you've bought the book looking for secrets of the trade, you should return it. By then end of the first 10 pages, I was hooked. I only wish I had the time this week to curl up and devour the story, which concerns the sudden death of a VIP in one of India's upstairs rooms and a mysterious gentleman charged with finding VIP's briefcase that vanished when he died.

There's a second volume published, "India Black and the Widow of Windsor" and a third due in December. Great literature it isn't but so far, it's pretty decent entertaiment.

rfisher
06-26-2012, 02:23 PM
There's a second volume published, "India Black and the Widow of Windsor" and a third due in December. Great literature it isn't but so far, it's pretty decent entertaiment.

The best type of reading material. If it's not entertainment, it's work.

zaphyre14
06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
The best type of reading material. If it's not entertainment, it's work.

I confess that as I sat giggling over the first chapter, I thought "I have to post this on FSU. Rfisher might like it. I wonder if Prancer has read it yet?"

Ajax
06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
For you Jasper Fforde fans, his next "Thursday" book, The Woman Who Died A Lot (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13589159-the-woman-who-died-a-lot) comes out October 9th in the US (July 12th in the UK).

He has fans? :shuffle: I read The Eyre Affair and thought it was terrible!

Prancer
06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
I confess that as I sat giggling over the first chapter, I thought "I have to post this on FSU. Rfisher might like it. I wonder if Prancer has read it yet?"

I have not, but it is on a to-be-read list I have.:D

He has fans? :shuffle: I read The Eyre Affair and thought it was terrible!

Ajax, what are some books you have liked? If you can name, say, five books that you have really enjoyed, I might be able to recommend something for you.

I also don't like Jasper fforde. I think I am about the only English major on the planet who doesn't, but I just don't care for the Thursday Next books at all.

PrincessLeppard
06-26-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't like the Thursday Next books at all. His other series I enjoyed.

Ajax
06-26-2012, 07:08 PM
I have not, but it is on a to-be-read list I have.:D
Ajax, what are some books you have liked? If you can name, say, five books that you have really enjoyed, I might be able to recommend something for you.

OK, off the top of my head:
Harry Potter
His Dark Materials
Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
American Gods (fave book ever)
Three Musketeers

I like a lot of fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction and detective fiction. Some of my favorite authors are Neil Gaiman, Diana Wynn Jones, Graham Greene, P.G. Wodehouse (though his books do tend to get somewhat repetitive)... I'm not much for overly angsty, depressing or philosophical books.

Thanks in advance for the recs, I really need to break my bad book streak :)

I'm surprised you say there are English majors who enjoy Fforde's books. I thought they needed to be better edited and the characters were weak. Some interesting ideas, for sure, but very badly written/edited.

zaphyre14
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I didn't care for the Thursday Next books myself. I thought the concept of the first one was interesting and I wanted to like them but after two or three, I just gave up. So there's another English major's thumbs down.

I don't really care for Neil Gaiman either.