PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Cachoo
06-24-2012, 06:01 PM
While waiting on a mystery to arrive I've been reading out of Carol Shields Collected Stories. I love her writing and feel like she was taken from us far too soon. I reread her novel Unless and was amazed that she could write so beautifully while so ill.
I do love that book as a love for life and for the stuff that really matters is an undercurrent from beginning to end in the story. She could also be funny and quirky and I think funny/quirky can be difficult to write. Some writers lose it as they age--she seemed to get better with age.

my little pony
06-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I couldn't get past about chapter 3 on that one. Bleaurgh.

Really, why punish yourself? Life's to short to waste time on books you're not enjoying.

took your advice, started and finished mistress of the art of death since then. 1000 times better.

IceAlisa
06-24-2012, 11:38 PM
The book, though, that deals with manic- depressive side of many creative people and that really helped me in my college years when I tried to understand close friends who had manic- depression, is "Touched with Fire" by Kay Jamison. I know it's been brought up in this thread before and IceAlisa and I are loved it ( right, IceAlisa?)

Yup! :)

I stopped reading Peony in love as soon as I reached the foot binding scene. As soon as it began (rather by ambush) I skimmed it and found it takes several pages and is play-by-play prolonged torture of a small child. A PERFECT POOLSIDE READ???? FOR WHOM??????? :mad:

I was ready to drown this book in the ocean I was so mad. And am now happily into a JCO.

cygnus
06-24-2012, 11:49 PM
I heard a fascinating interview on CBC today with Edmund de Waal- author of "The Hare with Amber Eyes"- A family memoir. I'm going to have to pick it up- it sounds really interesting.

rjblue
06-25-2012, 12:59 AM
While waiting on a mystery to arrive I've been reading out of Carol Shields Collected Stories. I love her writing and feel like she was taken from us far too soon. I reread her novel Unless and was amazed that she could write so beautifully while so ill.I love Unless too, and I keep trying to get my daughters to read it. The Stone Diaries is also a favourite.

I'm reading Larry Niven's Ringworld right now. I'd thought I'd read it years ago, but it's not familiar at all, and I'm really enjoying it.

Wyliefan
06-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Has anyone read The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones? I read a couple of good reviews and am thinking of picking it up.

my little pony
06-25-2012, 03:08 AM
I heard a fascinating interview on CBC today with Edmund de Waal- author of "The Hare with Amber Eyes"- A family memoir. I'm going to have to pick it up- it sounds really interesting.

i just read that, i recommend it. there are 2 parts the paris chapter and the vienna chapter. once they got to vienna, i couldnt put it down.

i will have to look for the interview.

flyingsit
06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I finished Defending Jacob yesterday morning and it was definitely not what I expected.

cygnus
06-25-2012, 03:08 PM
i just read that, i recommend it. there are 2 parts the paris chapter and the vienna chapter. once they got to vienna, i couldnt put it down.

i will have to look for the interview.

It was on "Writers and Company" with Eleanore Wachtel. Link here, but not sure if it's works outside Canada. (it's long, but really interesting- she's a good interviewer)

http://www.cbc.ca/writersandcompany/listen/

PrincessLeppard
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer and thought the concept was interesting, and the story was good, but it needed a better writer. There are parts in the story that drag a bit.

Ajax
06-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Now I absolutely have to watch Doctor Who. I've never seen it, but now that I developed a bit of an artistic crush on Mark Gatiss ( due to "Sherlock"), and the presence of Van Gogh in it, I'll just have to. Thanks for the tip!
...snip...
... and I can't wait to see Doctor Who! Would you remember what year Van Gogh episode was?

Yes, it's series 5 episode 10. If you have Netflix, here's the link:
https://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Doctor_Who/70142441?trkid=2361637

I feel it can be watched stand alone even if you've never seen Doctor Who - the rest of the series is also great though :) All you need to know is that the Doctor is a time traveling alien who has a human companion.

ETA: I just finished the Chaos Walking Trilogy (Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer and Monsters of Men) by Patrick Ness. Continuing my tradition of not picking any good books this year, it was only meh. The first book is fun with some good ideas but the last two become repetitive and boring. The last book in particular was a looooong slog (600 pages!) that I could barely get through. The main villain's motivations were all muddled. And the writer uses some weird techniques that really, really grated. For example, he switches perspective between characters very frequently in a super clumsy fashion - not only do you get a heading announcing whose perspective you are seeing, but also the font changes for each character. I found it very amateurish and it was especially egregious because the perspective would change once every two pages, even during scenes. Another thing I didn't like was that the two main characters were 13/14 but we are supposed to believe that grown adults will let them lead the war and the peace talks... yeah right!

Sigh... when will I finally read a good book this year? Every thing I've picked has been a big disappointment!

Spinner
06-25-2012, 04:26 PM
I finished Defending Jacob yesterday morning and it was definitely not what I expected.

Care to expand on that a bit? ;)

Spinner
06-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Sigh... when will I finally read a good book this year? Every thing I've picked has been a big disappointment!

Try Ayad Akhtar's American Dervish (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11080141-american-dervish) or Stephen Dau's The Book of Jonas (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12528627-the-book-of-jonas) for books new this year, both were amazing. I also really enjoyed Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/410428.The_Thirteenth_Tale), pubbed in 2006.

Prancer
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
ETA: I just finished the Chaos Walking Trilogy (Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer and Monsters of Men) by Patrick Ness. Continuing my tradition of not picking any good books this year, it was only meh. The first book is fun with some good ideas but the last two become repetitive and boring.

PrincessLeppard and my son had the same review of those books.

What are some books you have really enjoyed reading over the years?

l'etoile
06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Flowers for Algernon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon) by Daniel Keyes. One of my tutees recommended a while ago and recently had a chance to finish reading it. It was absolutely a thinker, very interesting one. The theme and language are really well-set and I'm sure most of you guys would burst in tears turning over the last page:(