PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

modern_muslimah
06-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Everyone has been talking about Gone Girl. I must place a hold at the library for that one. I'm currently reading Tell the Wolves I'm Home (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13446569-tell-the-wolves-i-m-home). I got through a Goodreads giveaway. I haven't been able to get through it as quickly as I like because I'm out of town visiting family at the moment. However, I've read about a third of it so far and I love it. It is so moving. It's the first book I've read this year that has actually made me cry. I'm also reading The Garden of Truth which is a primer about Sufism. That book is a little dense so I'm going through it very slowly.

oleada
06-18-2012, 07:06 PM
I can totally see the criticism on the ending of Gone Girl. The ending does drag a bit, and it was the reason I was unsure of whether to give it 4 or 5 stars on Goodreads. But I liked the finale quite a bit.

Modern_muslimah, I've heard a lot of good things about that book as well. I can't wait to read it.

IceAlisa
06-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Finished La Cousine Bette--pure awesomeness, especially the ending.

I can't help but wonder about the poison used in the book--I don't recognize it at all and wonder if Balzac had invented it. But then I am no toxicologist. I do think that the baronness Hulot had Parkinson's.

Now I need to read something that doesn't require Google Translate.

Spinner
06-18-2012, 10:59 PM
It's the first book I've read this year that has actually made me cry.

I've never cried while reading until I recently finished M.L. Stedman's upcoming debut (pub date is July 31 in the US), The Light Between the Oceans (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13158800-the-light-between-oceans), set in late 1920's southwestern Australia. The book is full of emotional sway, but have tissues ready at the end. My response took me totally by surprise.

dinakt
06-19-2012, 05:42 AM
I just finished "The Marriage Plot" by Eugenides and loved it, with no reservations. I am sad I'm done with it- the book is a great combination of "easy reading" and yet a deep, compassionate portrayal of very familiar people. I definitely recommend it. Somewhere I read it called "pretentious", and did not see it at all; it's quite simple, and the characters are believable.

Marge_Simpson
06-19-2012, 06:41 AM
IMo the foreshadowing starts much much earlier than that. Read it again and see if you can't spot something Guy does verrrry earlier on. Not the obvious-it's a very subtle "oh hey now!!!" moment very early on that IMO can't be seen/realized/felt til after you've read the book once through.

It IS an excellent read, and way scarier than the movie! IMO of course:)

It's all over the place, yes! Are you talking about the leering vampire face? Or when it's mentioned that his eyes are brown, just as Rosemary puts on a yellow dress that zips up the back? Or when he says "whoever she locked in got out" ?

zaphyre14
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I misplaced "Unnatural Issue" and picked up "The Dark Monk" by Oliver Potzch and I really like it. My only complaint would be that I'm not getting a real Bavarian vibe from the test; it reads like any generic medieval setting with only the place names thrown in to set the location. But it could be the translation, too.

modern_muslimah
06-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Modern_muslimah, I've heard a lot of good things about that book as well. I can't wait to read it.

I hope you enjoy it! I love it so far.

I've never cried while reading until I recently finished M.L. Stedman's upcoming debut (pub date is July 31 in the US), The Light Between the Oceans (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13158800-the-light-between-oceans), set in late 1920's southwestern Australia. The book is full of emotional sway, but have tissues ready at the end. My response took me totally by surprise.

I added it to my 'to read' list on GR. I read the plot summary and it definitely looks interesting. I can't wait until it comes out.

I just finished "The Marriage Plot" by Eugenides and loved it, with no reservations. I am sad I'm done with it- the book is a great combination of "easy reading" and yet a deep, compassionate portrayal of very familiar people. I definitely recommend it. Somewhere I read it called "pretentious", and did not see it at all; it's quite simple, and the characters are believable.

I think The Marriage Plot is one of those books you either love or hate. I haven't read any reviews that have been in between. I think I might have been the one to call it pretentious. However, I know it's received lots of love too.

CDANN1013
06-20-2012, 04:15 AM
Help - I think I saw a book title on here that was about Anne Frank's friends at school that were sent to the camps. Does anyone rember the title of the book. I think it had a flower's name in the title.

Thanks

Carol

IceAlisa
06-20-2012, 06:04 AM
I enhaled Provincial lady in Russia in a night and a lunch. It was quite funny and accurate, although it did have a slow start at the collective farm. I am also puzzled at the assertion that the Soviet Union didn't have the days of the week in the 1930's. I wonder if anyone can provide a clarification. :confused: I've never heard of this before. Aside from a few other things that made me raise my eyebrows, the book is great fun. I may look up other Provincial Lady travel logs.

So now, not sure why I picked up Little Women that had been sitting on my shelf for many years. And I have to say, I am ready to set it aside and even donate it to the library. I find it unbearably cloying. The sisters are the so perfect and kind that even their flaws are there just to give them something to overcome. I flipped ahead to Beth's death scene and didn't find it an improvement. Seems like there's little depth in this book. So sugary, pass the insulin, please.

Am I wrong? Should I keep reading? It just seems so not my cup of tea. I like a little (or a lot) of bite, realism, snark in my literature. Or gloom, if you have it. I am Russian, after all.

modern_muslimah
06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
I read Little Women when I started high school. I remember liking it at the time but then again, I was also 14. I'm not sure I would like it as a grown woman. I think the novel is probably meant more for children and adolescents as opposed to adults. Now that I think about it, the sisters do all seem very "perfect". I don't think it would be wrong not to finish it. Life is too short to keep reading books that do nothing for you.

rfisher
06-20-2012, 03:15 PM
I read Little Women when I started high school. I remember liking it at the time but then again, I was also 14. I'm not sure I would like it as a grown woman. I think the novel is probably meant more for children and adolescents as opposed to adults. Now that I think about it, the sisters do all seem very "perfect". I don't think it would be wrong not to finish it. Life is too short to keep reading books that do nothing for you.

I'm PML that anybody would think they had to finish any book they aren't reading for a grade if they don't like it. Or read heavy literature, or anything they don't do for pleasure. Who cares if it is a best seller or among the top 100 pieces of literature.

IceAlisa
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I got suckered on this one. To the library donation bin it goes. But I do like reading what you call "heavy" literature. Just not this one, it's not even heavy just annoying.

Artemis@BC
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I got suckered on this one. To the library donation bin it goes. But I do like reading what you call "heavy" literature. Just not this one, it's not even heavy just annoying.

Just because it's "old" doesn't make it "heavy literature" or "classic" or even "worth reading." :P

I do think Little Women isn't bad for young adult lit, and I'd certainly rather have Jo and her sisters as role models for young girls than a lot of the simpering moony girls in some modern examples of the genre. But no, don't feel bad for not finishing Little Women. (And I'll take Anne Shirley over Jo March any ol' day.)

The movie (the 1994 one with Winnona Ryder, Susan Sarandon, Claire Danes et al.) was pretty good though.

dinakt
06-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I think The Marriage Plot is one of those books you either love or hate. I haven't read any reviews that have been in between. I think I might have been the one to call it pretentious. However, I know it's received lots of love too.
Interesting. The review I referred to was elsewhere, but I'll try to see what you wrote 'cause I am curious:) I felt like I easily could be friends with any of those people, and sometime around graduation knew people just like them. The visceral description of onset of manic- depression was also right-on, to my limited experience. I am definitely in the "loved it" category.

I am getting through my mostrously long Van Gogh biography ( interesting, though extremely detailed read). And in the meantime, when I want to relax I reread Conan Doyle, due to my currect "Sherlock" obsession.