PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

LilJen
06-18-2012, 01:39 AM
I've been holding on to a copy of Sarah Blake's The Postmistress and finally started reading it. It has my attention so far.

Read that for our book group last year. A great story.

rfisher
06-18-2012, 01:45 AM
I am hooked on Craig Johnson's Longmire series. I've read the first four books over the last three days. A&E is doing a series based on the characters (stories are different). Johnson writes about a Wyoming sheriff and his family, friends and staff. Well plotted, well written and great characters. I'm going to be sad when I've finsihed the other 4 books in the series. I should pace them out, but I'll miss hanging out with Walt, Vic, Dog and Henry Standing Bear.

Spinner
06-18-2012, 06:00 AM
SOLD! I keep running into articles and folks talking about this book and now I'm going to buy it. Thanks oleada---Recommendations from folks here will put a book over-the-top for me and I cannot wait to read this one. It's also near the top of my TBR pile. All the book bloggers I follow loved it and now that Oleada has stamped it as awesome, can't lose! ;)

Cachoo
06-18-2012, 06:25 AM
LilJen---I find myself envying anyone who was able to work with Murrow even if this is fiction. I am enjoying the book so far.

Spinner--I don't read a lot of blogs but to have so many people agree tells me that this book must be something special (especially Oleada!)

Re Longmire: I have not read the books but sure do enjoy the show that just premiered. I'll have to add them to the list. I don't know if they are filming in Wyoming but the setting is both stark and gorgeous.

emason
06-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Dissenting opinion on Gone Girl. I read it last week, based on Oleada's rave, and I can see why it's getting the great buzz it has, BUT, for me, it went on too long. Toward the end I was just muttering to myself "Get this over with already". Once I realized who was truly doing what to whom, I wanted to get to the end and it seemed like such a slog to me to get there. IMHO it just ran out of steam at a certain point. I'd give it a B, but the not the A rave everyone else is giving.

Rex
06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Getting in touch with my maritime history geek by purchasing a out-of-print book called Damned by Destiny, a UK book about ocean liner projects that have been proposed, planned, even built, but never sailed for commercial service. A must for ship lovers. You do get some interesting historical perspective - the book talks about how much FDR loved ships and things like that, and why the US was never really a strong commercial maritime presence. I just love the pictures of some of the proposed ships of the 20s, 30s and beyond. Many of them look quite contemporary.

I don't have the patience or state of mind right now to get into a novel of any kind - I just want pics and blurbs :lol:.

flyingsit
06-18-2012, 02:23 PM
I read Learning to Swim last week and LOVED it. Really strong characterizations, it felt like you were dropped right into the middle of the main character's life without a lot of exposition. And I thought the emotions were spot-on.

Now I'm almost finished with The Leftovers and am enjoying it as well, but in a very different way... much more detached.

Cachoo
06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Dissenting opinion on Gone Girl. I read it last week, based on Oleada's rave, and I can see why it's getting the great buzz it has, BUT, for me, it went on too long. Toward the end I was just muttering to myself "Get this over with already". Once I realized who was truly doing what to whom, I wanted to get to the end and it seemed like such a slog to me to get there. IMHO it just ran out of steam at a certain point. I'd give it a B, but the not the A rave everyone else is giving.

Now I'm really curious: The book is on the way.

michiruwater
06-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm going to go pick up Gone Girl today to read as soon as I finish In Defense of Food. Also, I love Michael Pollan so much. I wish I could find my copy of Omnivore's Dilemma though. It seems to have disappeared entirely :(

immoimeme
06-18-2012, 04:35 PM
I finally re-read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" ....in about a minute. were we really so, so, je ne sais quoi.... giddy? silly? hopeful? spaced out? New Agey? back then? I guess we were....

So, now I'm waiting for my interlibrary loans of "God's Little Acre" and "Living Downtown: The History of Residential Hotels" to arrive. "the Help" is "in stock" but I canna read large print for shite and I'm not paying a dollar to buy the copy on the sale table, sorry so much but I NEEEED that dollar for something else!

immoimeme
06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Someone left a box of old paperbacks in our laundry room, and I found "Rosemary's Baby" in there. I've seen the film at least 10 times but had never read the book. Of course I knew the ending, but it was very eerie all the same. There's lots of foreshadowing in it, for instance at one point a pregnant Rosemary feels the baby "kicking like a demon" :eek: An excellent read.IMo the foreshadowing starts much much earlier than that. Read it again and see if you can't spot something Guy does verrrry earlier on. Not the obvious-it's a very subtle "oh hey now!!!" moment very early on that IMO can't be seen/realized/felt til after you've read the book once through.

It IS an excellent read, and way scarier than the movie! IMO of course:)

Artemis@BC
06-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Another "sold" on Gone Girl. #7 in the library queue, hoping the folks ahead of me are fast readers.

immoimeme
06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Ken Follet's part 2 of his Fall of Giants series "Winter of the World" will be released in September. Anyone else looking forward to it?

NO.

couldn't be bothered to finish part one. am re-reading "The Pillars of the Eatrth" and thinking "WHYYYYY isn't the new series written like this one???!"

aftershocks
06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Love Natasha Trethewey's Pulitzer Prize winning book of poetry, Native Guard. Congrats to her for being named the next Poet Laureate of the U.S. (concurrent with being Poet Laureate of her home state).

On my current to read list: A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar, by Suzanne Joinson

and: Salvage the Bones, by Jesmyn Ward

I also love everything by Luanne Rice and Kristin Hannah.

zaphyre14
06-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm reading Mercedes Lackey's "Unnatural Issue", the latest in her Elemental Masters series. It's okay - there's enough angst and OTT drama in the first coule chapets to plot a soap opera, but I like Lackey's writing enough to forge ahead. The WWI setting isn't my favorite, either; it kind of breaks the fairy-tale atmosphere Lackey spins so well, but the intertwining with actual history makes it ineteresting.