PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
06-10-2012, 08:07 AM
In part. I know what you are referring to though. :) I just think some babies do kick like demons, even if they turn out not to be :EVILLE:

oleada
06-11-2012, 03:03 AM
I started up Gone Girl (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8442457-gone-girl?auto_login_attempted=true) by Gillian Flynn, since it's gotten so many positive reviews. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do so far - I read half of it in one sitting. It's quite dark; the characters are layered and human. It's a great example of an author using an unlikeable narrator yet managing to make him sympathetic. He's quite the unreliable narrator, which I also enjoy...

I'm hooked; can't wait to see what happens next...

ChelleC
06-11-2012, 03:27 AM
In a change of genre, I started Phillipa Gregory's "Changeling." It reads like YA - or maybe early Ellis Peters - to me, but I do like the main characters so I'll continue onward. My only quibble is that it's set in Italy and I'm not getting any of that feel in the reading. I keep thinking it's England/Wales until I see the mention of Rome.

I believe "Changeling" is considered YA.

Evilynn
06-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm reading Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven, set in a pseudo ancient China, and so far am enjoying it very much. Throne of the Crescent Moon sounds great; I'm putting it on my list.

Under Heaven was brilliant. Throne of the Crescent Moon isn't really in the same league, but I really liked the setting and the fact that 3 out of 5 protagonists were decidedly past their prime. The language was a bit repetitive and I'm not sure if I'll read the rest of the series.

You'll have to compare notes with Orable on this one. She read it and really liked it. It's in my TBR list too.

I wasn't over the moon (err, no bad pun intended!), but it was a quick read and well worth the time spent. :)

I'm almost done with Ian McEwan's Amsterdam, and then I'll continue with my WOT re-read.

zaphyre14
06-11-2012, 02:06 PM
I believe "Changeling" is considered YA.

Yes, I noted the YA on the price sticker after I'd finished it. :slinkaway It was okay, and I'm interested enough to read the expected sequels.

I'm now into Elizabeth Lowell's "Beautiful Sacrifice" about stolen Mayan artifacts and the whole End of the World theory. I'm not wild about either of the main characters and the POV shifting when the two of them are together is jolting. I also don't care for the font the book is printed in, which is really wierd because I generally don't notice fonts other than size. But this one is odd enough to be irritating and I find myself misreading words because the letters look funny. A sign of age, I guess. :(

flyingsit
06-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I finished Divergent. It was a very quick read and OK, not fantastic but good. Then I tried to get into A Short History of Nearly Everything but realized it's not going to work at the moment.

Trying Last Night in Twisted River and if that doesn't click I'll move on to The Leftovers. And I also have Defending Jacob on tap.

Spinner
06-11-2012, 04:12 PM
And I also have Defending Jacob on tap.
It's very good, but has one "flaw" (if you will)--once you finish it you'll know why it's difficult to talk about without spoiling anything! We hosted the author in my store for a book signing and he was so delightful. The staff had great fun chatting with him about the book after the event.

oleada
06-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Finished Gone Girl. It was great, one of my favorite books this year so far. Can't talk too much about it without giving stuff away, but it's dark, witty and very layered. It's a fun twist on the thriller/mystery genre. The narrators are unreliable, and there's so many twists and turns that you don't know who to trust at all. It's hard to put down and deserves all the praise it's been getting.

zaphyre14
06-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm now reading Jayne Anne Krentz' "Copper Beach" and about 50 pages in, it's already holding my interest better than Lowell's "Beautiful Sacrifice." I think it's because Lowell spent too much time espousing the poor misunderstood Maya culture and it's impact on Mexico. And it seemed as if every character in the book was some kind of obsessive psycho, including the main characters. Not a fun crowd to hang out, even in a book.

Krentz is much more to my taste. What is it with petite, curly-red-haired heroines, though lately? I seem to be running across a lot of them. I guess they've replaced the buxom blondes that were standard fare a while back. Anyway, this one is on a quest to find a certain book that a lot of people want and that a couple people don't want found.

In the car, I'm skipping around through the Kinsey Millhone A'pha bet mysteries in not particular ordore: I'd read a few way back when, but they go much better in audio. I've done D, F, L and am on O now. I have to give the narrator credit; I don't get the sense that she's reading the text; it's more like Kinsey sitting across the kitchen table recounting her case over coffee. Not a bad way to pass a commute.

Cachoo
06-16-2012, 12:45 AM
I've been holding on to a copy of Sarah Blake's The Postmistress and finally started reading it. It has my attention so far.

Wyliefan
06-17-2012, 12:50 AM
Plug for a friend: My friend Lori wrote this new book about Jane Austen (http://www.amazon.com/The-Jane-Austen-Guide-Life/dp/0762773812). I've started reading it and it's really good so far!

ChelleC
06-17-2012, 02:19 AM
Plug for a friend: My friend Lori wrote this new book about Jane Austen (http://www.amazon.com/The-Jane-Austen-Guide-Life/dp/0762773812). I've started reading it and it's really good so far!

Thanks, just added it to my wishlist.

Artemis@BC
06-17-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm a few chapters into Insurgent. Y'know, it's always hard for 2nd/3rd/etc. books in a series, how much recap to give -- striking the right balance of giving enough reminder (or enough info for folks who didn't read the first one), without turning off readers with too much repetition. But Insurgent gives zero, zip, nada in the way of recap. Begins pretty much the very next sentence from the ending of Divergent. It was only about 2 months ago that I read Divergent, and I was still "wait, what?"

Buzz
06-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Ken Follet's part 2 of his Fall of Giants series "Winter of the World" will be released in September. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Cachoo
06-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Finished Gone Girl. It was great, one of my favorite books this year so far. Can't talk too much about it without giving stuff away, but it's dark, witty and very layered. It's a fun twist on the thriller/mystery genre. The narrators are unreliable, and there's so many twists and turns that you don't know who to trust at all. It's hard to put down and deserves all the praise it's been getting.

SOLD! I keep running into articles and folks talking about this book and now I'm going to buy it. Thanks oleada---Recommendations from folks here will put a book over-the-top for me and I cannot wait to read this one.