PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Evilynn
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I've started my reread of The Wheel of Time, but since I need to break up the 11k+ pages with other things, I'm reading Throne of the Crescent Moon (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11487807-throne-of-the-crescent-moon) by Saladin Ahmed, between WOT#1 and #2. I'm only two chapters in, but so far I'm happy to read a fantasy novel that isn't set in a pseudo medieval European setting. I might've also bought China Miéville's Railsea and an Ursula LeGuin omnibus. Ooops. :shuffle:

flyingsit
06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
I started The Kite Runner and it's already breaking my heart.

zaphyre14
06-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I've started Amanda Quick's "Crystal Gardens" last night. It's historical paranormal romantic suspunse, I guess, and part of "The Ladies of Lantern Street" series. It's decent summer reading and ties into Quick's alter ego's series. Jayne Ann Krentz has a new one out as well, which I have in line.

All the other books I have on tap are sagas about varous queens. I'm not ready for something heavy at the moment but I'll get to them.

emason
06-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I've started my reread of The Wheel of Time, but since I need to break up the 11k+ pages with other things, I'm reading Throne of the Crescent Moon (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11487807-throne-of-the-crescent-moon) by Saladin Ahmed, between WOT#1 and #2. I'm only two chapters in, but so far I'm happy to read a fantasy novel that isn't set in a pseudo medieval European setting. I might've also bought China Miéville's Railsea and an Ursula LeGuin omnibus. Ooops. :shuffle:

I'm reading Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven, set in a pseudo ancient China, and so far am enjoying it very much. Throne of the Crescent Moon sounds great; I'm putting it on my list.

Last week I read The Hunger Games, but not Catching Fire or Mockingjay. Sorry fans of the series, but book one was meh, to say the least. I'll read the others eventually, I think, but have not the slightest desire to do so now. (Or maybe ever.)

Zemgirl
06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
I've started Amanda Quick's "Crystal Gardens" last night. It's historical paranormal romantic suspunse, I guess, and part of "The Ladies of Lantern Street" series. It's decent summer reading and ties into Quick's alter ego's series. Jayne Ann Krentz has a new one out as well, which I have in line.

All the other books I have on tap are sagas about varous queens. I'm not ready for something heavy at the moment but I'll get to them.
I've tried her once as Quick and once or twice as Jayne Ann Krentz; neither was my cup of tea. The Arcane Society stuff in particular just didn't interest me at all.

Which sagas and which queens?

michiruwater
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Finished Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children last night, and other than the fact that I had to sleep with a light on for the past few days :shuffle: I really liked it. Super easy read but super fun.

Spinner
06-06-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm reading Throne of the Crescent Moon (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11487807-throne-of-the-crescent-moon) by Saladin Ahmed, between WOT#1 and #2. I'm only two chapters in, but so far I'm happy to read a fantasy novel that isn't set in a pseudo medieval European setting.
You'll have to compare notes with Orable on this one. She read it and really liked it. It's in my TBR list too.

Glide2
06-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Finished Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children last night, and other than the fact that I had to sleep with a light on for the past few days :shuffle: I really liked it. Super easy read but super fun.

This looks really interesting. And I like the concept of having found photographs as part of the story.

There was a ghost story in one of the Garrison Keillor books that left me the same way. Lights on!

Marge_Simpson
06-06-2012, 05:40 AM
I read Miss Peregine awhile back but didn't care for it at all, too contrived. I got the impression that the author had started with the photos and then tried to make a plot that fit. Not very well, IMO.
Does anyone have any ghost stories to suggest for me?

galaxygirl
06-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Ray Bradbury has died. :( Mobile link only. Sorry... (http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/blogs/science-fiction-author-ray-bradbury-dies-144137431.html?.b=index&.ts=1338995096&.intl=US&.lang=en)

I think I'm finally going to read The Martian Chronicles to honor him.

I read Miss Peregine awhile back but didn't care for it at all, too contrived. I got the impression that the author had started with the photos and then tried to make a plot that fit. Not very well, IMO.
Does anyone have any ghost stories to suggest for me?

Besides Turn of The Screw and The Little Stranger, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I enjoyed it when I was younger and my tastes where questionable, so no guarantees. :lol:

ETA: I felt the same way about Miss Peregrine as you did, Marge.

michiruwater
06-06-2012, 04:20 PM
The author did start with the photos, but I felt the plot fit just fine.

Artemis@BC
06-06-2012, 06:54 PM

For a waaay better treatment of the idea of found photographs telling a story: have you ever seen the mini-series Shooting the Past? (I think it ran on Masterpiece a few years ago, and it's avail. on DVD). It's about a private collection of photographs that's being threatened. Completely compelling and one of my favourite mini-series ever.

LilJen
06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I started The Kite Runner and it's already breaking my heart.

It's a heartbreaking story. (((flyingsit)))

Wyliefan
06-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Audible.com has released a new audiobook of The End of the Affair with Colin Firth reading. I'm two chapters in and it's WONDERFUL. I know Greene isn't to everyone's taste, but personally, this is one of my favorite novels, so that plus Firth is :swoon: for me.

oleada
06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
I finished Pandemonium, which is the sequel to Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I was meh on Delirium, but I thought the sequel was so much better! I liked the way she weaved the "then" and "now" parts of the story. I've liked Oliver's writing since Before I Fall, and I think she shines here too. It's really evocative and emotional. In the barrage of YA dystopian novels, this is definitely above average.

And I know the "delirium" is love, but I am going to be really fecking annoyed if the third book is all about the love triangle :P