PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rjblue
05-26-2012, 11:58 PM
I headed into the mall this afternoon and as I drove in I saw signs for a book sale hosted by the University Women's Federation. OMG- there were over a dozen 40 ft tables covered in boxes of books, all sorted by genre. I got Margaret Atwood, Stephen King, Stephen Donaldson, Ray Bradbury, Robert Silverberg, Andre Norton, and some more. I'm working my way through the list of 100 greatest SF novels.

And on that note- I'll have to pick up a copy of Leviathan Wakes. It sounds like the kind of space opera I enjoy.

emason
05-27-2012, 12:28 AM
And on that note- I'll have to pick up a copy of Leviathan Wakes. It sounds like the kind of space opera I enjoy.

For anyone who is a George RR Martin fan, he was raving about this book at his signing last summer.

galaxygirl
05-27-2012, 02:27 AM

I hope you enjoy it. It's the first book in a series, though it doesn't end on a cliff-hanger so you don't need to continue with the series if you don't want to.

LilJen
05-27-2012, 03:26 AM
So about 10 days ago I had surgery and in my post-surgical painkiller-induced haze put in my DVD of Pride and Prejudice (1995 BBC version, to reference another popular thread). Had received the DVD in a package with "The Making of Pride and Prejudice." Lots of pretty pictures which are not too demanding on the Vicodin-affected.

Marge_Simpson
05-28-2012, 06:59 AM
I borrowed those P&P DVD's from the library so often I finally broke down and bought the set for myself.

A coworker just lent me "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters and I am enchanted with the story and the writing. Why did I never check out this author before? And which of her books should I read next?

galaxygirl
05-28-2012, 07:09 PM
I borrowed those P&P DVD's from the library so often I finally broke down and bought the set for myself.

A coworker just lent me "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters and I am enchanted with the story and the writing. Why did I never check out this author before? And which of her books should I read next?

I haven't read any of her other books, but I did enjoy The Little Stranger (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594484465?ie=UTF8&ref=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1). It's a haunted house story set after WWII.

PrincessLeppard
05-29-2012, 01:51 AM
i[/URL], as well as Jennifer Armintrout's chapter by chapter recap (start here (http://jenniferarmintrout.blogspot.com/2012/04/50-shades-of-grey-chapter-one-or-why.html))

I spent entirely too much time just reading her entire recap (up through Chapter 15, I believe) and it's hilarious. :rofl:

zaphyre14
05-29-2012, 01:36 PM
I gulped Charlaine Harris' "Dealocked" over the weekend - I'm glad the fae crisis is resolved and am looking forward to the next volume, which I didn't really after the previous couple.

I'm now reading Nora Roberts' "The Witness" - the main character sounds like Star Trek's Data in my head, but I really like the wacky small-town characters that surround her. The "instant" romance is a little hard to swallow, though.

attyfan
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM
After binging on Victorian histories of some Tudors (Strickland on Henry's last four queens and Mary I; Mumby's "Girlhood of Queen Elizabeth"), I started on Victorian histories of Richard III ... Gairdner, Markham and (currently) Halsted. The writing style is almost comic, but the usage of documents is interesting.

TygerLily
05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm now reading Nora Roberts' "The Witness" - the main character sounds like Star Trek's Data in my head, but I really like the wacky small-town characters that surround her. The "instant" romance is a little hard to swallow, though.I just finished this and thought she sounded a lot like like Bones (TV version). In my head, Emily Deschenel was saying her lines.

I go into a Nora Roberts book expecting an instant romance, so that didn't bother me as much. I did enjoy this book significantly more than Chasing Fire. That concept had so much promise but was utterly boring. I also only read half of the second Boonsboro Inn (sp?) book because of boredom as well. It's rare that I don't bother finishing a book, especially a new release I nab from the library.

modern_muslimah
05-30-2012, 01:53 AM

That's what happened with me and P&P, North and South and Jane Eyre (2006). I kept putting them in my Netflix queue. I figure it was just better to own them in the end.

zaphyre14
05-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I just finished this and thought she sounded a lot like like Bones (TV version). In my head, Emily Deschenel was saying her lines.

You're right, Abigail does fit the Bones character pretty well. :) I don't tend to read Robert's "skinny" books, the romances she seems to toss out every three months, just because they're so formulaic (like the Harlequin romances she started her career with) but I expect more from the bigger stand-alone hardcovers.

But I like it enough to keep reading so that's that's something.

Speaking of Harlequin Romance, when I was cleaning my basement, I found a whole box of old Harlequin and Sillhouette romances from the early 1980s. I posted them on the swap site and people are actually taking them!

rfisher
05-30-2012, 02:51 PM
zaphyre14 keep posting some summer reading selections. We usually read the same stuff (no War and Peace nonsense here :D ) and I need new stuff.

Sadly, many of the books I bought during my panic as Borders was closing are BORING and turning out to be one chapter then toss books. I don't waste my time unless the book grabs my interest in the first 5 pages. Good for the library I guess as I donate them (and get a nice little tax deduction. )

zaphyre14
05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
zaphyre14 keep posting some summer reading selections. We usually read the same stuff (no War and Peace nonsense here :D ) and I need new stuff.

I just found a B&N gift card I'd forgotten I had so I'll be stocking up mayself pretty soon. :)

I found a mystery series by Margaret Grace with a main character who builds dollhouses (another hobby of mine) and have been scoping used book sites for them all. The first one is "Muder In Miniature" and it actually gives the main character a decent reason for sticking her nose into a murder investigation - and gives a pretty accurate dscription of the activity at a dolhouse show besides.

I ran out of reading on my vacation and borrowed an old Clive Cussler "Sahara" for the plane trip home. It's okay, yet another "Dirk Pitt saves the world from ecological disaster" but I've decided these are easier to listen to in the car than to read.

dinakt
05-31-2012, 02:09 AM
All that "Pride and Prejudice" talk made me want to read more books set in the era- but nothing new came to mind- so I started re- reading ( or, rather, re-listening) Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey- Maturin series. The books are set in very early 19th Century England and deal with Naval battles, politics, social customs etc etc. Are there any fans of the series here? I adore the books. Granted, they can get slow and overly technical ( My comprehension of naval terms stops at larboard/ starboard, unfortunately, though there is much to learn if I apply myself, and I LOVE the sea and Naval history, so some day I must), but they are also witty, insightful and full of true history.