PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

galaxygirl
05-23-2012, 08:12 PM
I just finished Leviathan Wakes, which is a space opera that takes place entirely within the solar system. I enjoyed it because it's science fictiony without being too weird. Probably the weirdest part of the book are the vomit zombies. :)

immoimeme
05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
i picked up "the children's blizzard" last nite & read 226 pages before i knew it. compelling account of the 1888 blizzard that came up from nowhere & hit the dakotas right when schools were letting out.

Artemis@BC
05-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Argh, I can't remember the name of a book I read a year or so ago. Usually I keep a record, esp. of the good ones, but this one slipped through the cracks.

It was about a guy, 30 or so and recently separated from his cheating wife, who goes home after the death of his father to spend a week sitting shiva with his dysfunctional family. He has 2 sisters (I think) and a younger lovable screwup brother. Dark humour, similar in style to Nick Hornby but a bit edgier and with a lot more sex.

I remember several others here had also read it, so I'm hoping someone can help. TIA.

Prancer
05-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Argh, I can't remember the name of a book I read a year or so ago. Usually I keep a record, esp. of the good ones, but this one slipped through the cracks.

It was about a guy, 30 or so and recently separated from his cheating wife, who goes home after the death of his father to spend a week sitting shiva with his dysfunctional family. He has 2 sisters (I think) and a younger lovable screwup brother. Dark humour, similar in style to Nick Hornby but a bit edgier and with a lot more sex.

I remember several others here had also read it, so I'm hoping someone can help. TIA.

Jonathan Tropper: This is Where I Leave You.

flyingsit
05-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Jonathan Tropper: This is Where I Leave You.

Yes. I loved it.

Artemis@BC
05-25-2012, 07:05 PM
^ That's it. Thank you -- knew I'd be able to get the answer here!

Spinner
05-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Jonathan Tropper: This is Where I Leave You.Yup, great book. If you like his work he has a new one coming out in August called One Last Thing Before I Go (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13586743-one-last-thing-before-i-go).

oleada
05-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Yup, great book. If you like his work he has a new one coming out in August called One Last Thing Before I Go (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13586743-one-last-thing-before-i-go).

:cheer:

Can't wait. This Is Where I Leave You had me busting a gut on the train and looking like a complete fool because I was laughing SO HARD.

I'm still working on Schiaparelli's book. I'm about 2/3 in. I have a bunch of books that I could tackle, but I'm not sure what to pick:

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt(been meaning to read this forever, picked it up for $.25 at a stoop sale)
Into the Wild by John Krakauer
The Invisible Bridge by Julie Oringer
The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende (I actually read this in high school, and remember loving it but some friends are reading it for a book club)

Spinner
05-26-2012, 08:46 AM
:cheer:

Can't wait. This Is Where I Leave You had me busting a gut on the train and looking like a complete fool because I was laughing SO HARD.

I'm still working on Schiaparelli's book. I'm about 2/3 in. I have a bunch of books that I could tackle, but I'm not sure what to pick:

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt(been meaning to read this forever, picked it up for $.25 at a stoop sale)
Into the Wild by John Krakauer
The Invisible Bridge by Julie Oringer
The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende (I actually read this in high school, and remember loving it but some friends are reading it for a book club)
If you're looking for a good engrossing read, try Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40440.The_Thirteenth_Tale). Wow was this a great book. I zoomed through it!

Wyliefan
05-26-2012, 02:18 PM
as well as Jennifer Armintrout's chapter by chapter recap (start here (http://jenniferarmintrout.blogspot.com/2012/04/50-shades-of-grey-chapter-one-or-why.html)).

Just read the chapter one recap -- hilarious! The part about the tie . . . :rofl:

PrincessLeppard
05-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Into the Wild is a good book, but I liked Into Thin Air better. Hard to believe it looks like the events in 1996 on Everest are about to be repeated this weekend...

TygerLily
05-26-2012, 06:04 PM
I know, PL. :( A climber who died last weekend was from Canada, so that story has made unusually big news here and this weekend sounds like the conditions will be worse: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/05/25/f-everest-risks.html

I, too, thought Into thin Air was better than Into the Wild, but that was probably because it really upset me that Chris McCandless stopped communicating with his parents for two years before going up north. It just seemed so inconsiderate, and I was unable to empathize with him as much as Krakauer clearly did.

I actually quite loved Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman, also by Krakauer, which surprised me because I didn't think I'd be interested in the subject matter and I don't follow football.

Zemgirl
05-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Just read the chapter one recap -- hilarious! The part about the tie . . . :rofl:
And her wish was answered! Wait until you get to the naming contest... the winner was perfection.

Into the Wild is a good book, but I liked Into Thin Air better. Hard to believe it looks like the events in 1996 on Everest are about to be repeated this weekend...
I liked both, but I agree that Into Thin Air is the more compelling of the two. As for the events of the past weekend and this one, it does seem like a repeat - too many people on the mountain, quite a few of them with very little experience, guides being ignored, etc. I understand the Canadian woman died while descending, very near the body of the late Scott Fischer... I hope there will be no more deaths there, but the sheer number of people makes that unlikely, unfortunately.

ETA: my 1,000th post! Well, if it's not about skating, it should be about books.

immoimeme
05-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I read "Jaws" yesterday. You know what, it was a pretty good book! Now I have "Love Story" and "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" to go. Then I can start my best seller! About a possessed seagull who falls in love with a gull who dies and he like, really freaks out and flies back home to the Gulf to battle a huuuuuuuge shark, eys! Wheee!:lol:

smurfy
05-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Both are good, but yes 'Into Thin Air' was just amazing. Also read a book by another climber in that 1996 event - Boukreev, called 'The Climb'. I loved reading about the same events from another person. There was also an article in Vanity Fair about it.

Another interesting Everest book 'High Crimes - The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed' by Michael Kodas (local Harford, CT reporter) - very intersting on the business/greedy side of Everest.

To change topics,
I am in the middle of 'The Passage of Power (Years of Lyndon Johnson)' by Robert Caro - 4th of 5th books, just came out. Caro did amazing, detailed research. The books are long, but so engrossing, entertaining and educational. It is not just about Johnson, but the times. I saw the author at a reading at the JFK Library in Boston last week. Very fun. Also interesting hearing the discussion about the hate between LBJ an RFK in a Kennedy setting. This book covers late 1950s til 64.