PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Artemis@BC
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't like a lot of violence in either books and film but if it's not too much and not too graphic AND the book itself is good, I will try to deal.

I have a much higher tolerance level for violence in books than I do in films. Something about not actually seeing it I guess. Plus it's a lot easier to skip/skim over in a book without really "missing" anything important.

But what I have an extremely low tolerance for in both books and movies is scenes of animals being hurt. :(

Wyliefan
05-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Finally, the sequel to Wolf Hall is out (http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-world-hilary-mantels-bring-up-the-bodies/2012/05/07/gIQAlVF08T_story.html)!

. . . And I've just gotten to the point where I want to backhand King Henry. He usually has this effect on me. And yet I keep reading about him. Go figure.

galaxygirl
05-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I have a much higher tolerance level for violence in books than I do in films. Something about not actually seeing it I guess. Plus it's a lot easier to skip/skim over in a book without really "missing" anything important.

But what I have an extremely low tolerance for in both books and movies is scenes of animals being hurt. :(

Me too. That's why I'm never going to watch the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or read the book. I haven't even seen March of the Penguins. :shuffle:

IceAlisa
05-11-2012, 09:45 PM

True. I am just a whimp, although IRL I can handle blood and guts and all. But not on film or in books.

Anyway, I started in on the Devil and I am really surprised how interested I am in all these architectural and building details! Good writing goes a long way. Thanks for the recommendation, you all! :)

Me too. That's why I'm never going to watch the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or read the book. I haven't even seen March of the Penguins. :shuffle:TGWTDT is very violent and disturbing, no doubt. But it's also life-reaffirming with a huge helping of girl power. The violence is not there for its own sake.

March of the Penguins disturbed me more because it wasn't a work of fiction. I stopped watching after a certain scene.

galaxygirl
05-11-2012, 10:54 PM
TGWTDT is very violent and disturbing, no doubt. But it's also life-reaffirming with a huge helping of girl power. The violence is not there for its own sake.

It's not the violence that bothers me--I've seen and enjoyed the Swedish version--it's the killing of the cat that bothers me.

I'm not sure which scene in March you're refering to (and I don't want to know :lol:) but you've just reaffirmed my decision to not see it.

IceAlisa
05-11-2012, 10:56 PM
It's not the violence that bothers me--I've seen and enjoyed the Swedish version--it's the killing of the cat that bothers me.

That bothers me immensely too. It was not shown in the US movie, mercifully.

Someone mentioned Fifty Shades of Grey to me today. I looked it up on amazon and had fun reading all the reader reviews that rip it a new one. :lol:

galaxygirl
05-12-2012, 05:14 AM
That bothers me immensely too. It was not shown in the US movie, mercifully.

Really? I could have sworn that somebody here said it was in the US version. Hmmm... Maybe I'll stick it in my Netflix queue after all.

IceAlisa
05-12-2012, 05:26 AM
It was in the Swedish version but not the US. I will double check the GWTDT thread, but I am pretty certain.

oleada
05-12-2012, 06:05 AM
The cat killing was definitely in the US version. The Swedish one does not have it.

IceAlisa
05-12-2012, 06:18 AM
The cat killing was definitely in the US version. The Swedish one does not have it.

:mad: You are right. I am losing my marbles. Sorry to mislead you, galaxygirl. I just found my own post when I talk about the scene in the US movie.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3420327&postcount=157

I'd be alarmed if I weren't always so forgetful.

Marge_Simpson
05-12-2012, 07:05 AM
I saw both versions. But luckily I knew where the cat killing occurred and I closed my eyes when he opened the door. (American version) I did not watch the rape scene in either film, my eyes went straight to the floor as soon as Lisbeth walked into the apartment.

Spinner
05-12-2012, 05:12 PM
The most awesome thing on Goodreads right now: Patrick Rothfuss, author of the extremely popular Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy (book 1 The Name of the Wind (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/186074.The_Name_of_the_Wind), book 2 The Wise Man's Fear (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1215032.The_Wise_Man_s_Fear)), smacks down those who've rated his unfinished book 3 The Doors of Stone (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2495565.The_Doors_of_Stone)-- http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/327213074

galaxygirl
05-13-2012, 04:03 AM
*takes US version out of Netflix queue*

:lol:

TygerLily
05-13-2012, 04:07 AM
That's priceless!

(and makes me want to read his books. but maybe also wait to read his books once he's happy with #3 ;) )

Spinner
05-13-2012, 05:46 AM
That's priceless!

(and makes me want to read his books. but maybe also wait to read his books once he's happy with #3 ;) )

His books are fantasy fiction, but garner the same universal respect and fandom as the Game of Thrones series--many who aren't fantasy fic fans really respect how well they're written. I, too, am waiting until book 3 is done so I can read them straight through.