PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

puglover
04-25-2012, 10:51 PM
I am listening on audible to "Defending Jacob" by William Landay. Well written and quite troubling. I didn't read or watch the "Something about Kevin" (not too sure on the exact title) but this sounds a bit similar - troubled child with shell-shocked parents - both loving the kid but holding very different takes on how serious their son's problems are.

Prancer
04-25-2012, 11:57 PM
ETA: What did everyone love so much about The Shadow of the Wind? I'm genuinely curious. I hated, among other things: the 16 year old narrator who sounded not remotely 16 and more like he swallowed a dictionary, the too-flowery language, the fact that none of the women in the story had any function or personality aside from being penis receptacles for men to obsess over, the clumsy "repeated history" motif with the out-of-wedlock pregnancies, the accidental incest that was straight out of a telenovela, the lovely depictions of cops urinating and defecating all over everyone and everything, the fact that this awesome concept of book cemetery is brought up but never explained or developed (how is it different from a 2nd hand bookshop again?)...

I haven't read Shadow of the Wind, but some parts of your critique sound very similar to my response to The Kite Runner. :slinkaway A lot of people think I am nuts, too, but I still think that if the book had not been set in Afghanistan, people would have been :rolleyes:.

On another note, does anyone like to read cookbooks? Both for recipes and for food writing I mean... I'd love any cookbook recommendations.

If she doesnt show up soon, send Jenny a PM and tell her you asked the question here. I think she's just the person to answer that one.

Zemgirl
04-26-2012, 08:03 AM
I didn't hate The Shadow of the Wind, but I felt that in terms of writing craft, it could have been better. My main issue with it was that it was a story told via info dumps - the narrator (forgot his name) would find someone who would fill him in on one piece, then on to the next. The one near the end was just endless! I also agree that the Cemetery of Books was underutilized.

While I don't always want to see books adapted into films, I think that The Shadow of the Wind would work much better as a movie - because then all these things could be shown instead of told. At times I felt like Carlos Ruiz Zafon had written it with a film adaptation in mind. How come it hasn't happened (yet)?

zaphyre14
04-26-2012, 01:48 PM
I have Ann Tyler's "The Amateur Marriage" going in the car now (as an antidote to the blood-and-gore mysteries I'd been mainlining after LOTR) and I can't decide if I like it or not. The time jumps are annoying - I've lost track of how old the the main characters are and I'm not really crazy about either of the two main ones. But the post-WWII atmosphere is interesting and I do wonder where the author is going with the characters enough to keep listening. And the despictions of the Polish-American community in Baltimore are eerily reminiscent of my mother's family. :)

I'm finishing up Robb's "Celebrity in Death" and liking it better than I expected to. Eve's nightmares are getting tiring though and I skim through the (mercifully-brief) sex scenes. They are repetitive and add nothing to the story. But the background of a killer stalking a movie set based on Dallas and Peabody is entertaining.

Ajax
04-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I didn't hate The Shadow of the Wind, but I felt that in terms of writing craft, it could have been better. My main issue with it was that it was a story told via info dumps - the narrator (forgot his name) would find someone who would fill him in on one piece, then on to the next. The one near the end was just endless!

Yeah that was one of my problems with the book too - that's just poor writing technique.

Buzz
04-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Frank Pereti Illustion - Sounds like my kind of book! :D

pair mom
04-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah that was one of my problems with the book too - that's just poor writing technique.

Well I can see how this might be aggrevating to some, but I was just enjoying the story and the adventure...not analyzing technique...silly me. :) If this is the writer's technique that bugs you, might I suggest you NEVER read a Jodi Picoult book...I read "My Sister's Keeper" and will never choose one of her's again!:shuffle:

Zemgirl
04-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Well I can see how this might be aggrevating to some, but I was just enjoying the story and the adventure...not analyzing technique...silly me. :) If this is the writer's technique that bugs you, might I suggest you NEVER read a Jodi Picoult book...I read "My Sister's Keeper" and will never choose one of her's again!:shuffle:
I was trying to enjoy the story and the adventure, but found the way it was told distracting. Having so much told to the narrator rather than happen on the page just didn't make for a very compelling reading experience for me. As a movie, with more flashbacks in place of the infodumps, and with some great locations to really make it creepy and atmospheric where needed - it could have been fantastic.

But I can certainly understand the appeal, even if it didn't work for me personally.

I haven't read Picoult and don't intend to start anytime soon.

Spinner
05-03-2012, 06:49 AM
I just did a cartwheel. :D Scored an advanced copy of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's sequel to The Shadow of the Wind, called The Prisoner of Heaven (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13623012-the-prisoner-of-heaven). Say goodbye to sleep tonight!

zaphyre14
05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
I have Ridley Pearson's "The First Victim" going in the car; the story is intriguing but the abridgement is painful and the reader is terrible. He uses different accents for each speaker and none of them are good. The main female character sounds like a drunk Michael Jackson! - really hard to believe that she's a star televison reporter.

I'm almost done with Chadwick's "The Scarlet Lion" and dreading the part where William dies. I'd much rather think of him and Isabelle still living happily together somewhere in the Irish countryside. :)

My library is loaning Kindles so I put my name on the list, just to see if I can adapt. They also have "playaway" audio books - plug in a headset to a little box and listen. I'm trying one of those for my next plane trip, since I bring my Bose headset anyway.

Nan
05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm almost done with Chadwick's "The Scarlet Lion" and dreading the part where William dies. I'd much rather think of him and Isabelle still living happily together somewhere in the Irish countryside. :)

I cried...a lot. :wuzrobbed

I'm such a wussy.

Ajax
05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Has anyone read Bulgakov's Master and the Margarita? I wanted to read a Russian novel and somebody recommended this to me, but I'm finding it hard to get through. The style is not like anything I'm used to (haven't read any Russian literature) and there are so many characters, each being referred to with one name, their full names or their nicknames interchangeably which makes it hard to keep track of who everyone is. On page 70 so far and not sure if I should continue. Anybody wanna tell me if it gets better? :)

Wyliefan
05-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm really not much for Russian literature in general. :shuffle: I've tried hard to like it, because I know it's genuinely great, but it just doesn't appeal to me that strongly. The only Russian writer I've really, thoroughly enjoyed so far, without any reservations, is Chekhov. But I haven't read any Bulgakov yet, so I don't know about that.

emason
05-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Has anyone read Bulgakov's Master and the Margarita? I wanted to read a Russian novel and somebody recommended this to me, but I'm finding it hard to get through. The style is not like anything I'm used to (haven't read any Russian literature) and there are so many characters, each being referred to with one name, their full names or their nicknames interchangeably which makes it hard to keep track of who everyone is. On page 70 so far and not sure if I should continue. Anybody wanna tell me if it gets better? :)

This is the only Russian novel I've ever been able to finish and I have read it more than once. I absolutely adore it, but I don't think it's for everyone. I'm not an expert though, especially in Russian literature, so I'm not sure what I can tell you other than I loved it.

rfisher
05-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Just started CH's newest Sookie Stackhouse: Deadlocked. As I always do, I read the last page and my predictions books and books ago about who I think Sookie will ultimately end up with still stands. :D To me, there was only one conclusion. I am surprised that CH left the book open for another. I thought she was wrapping things up, but apparently she's not finished milking the series since the HBO popularity spike with Sookie yet.