PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Grannyfan
04-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Reading Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/864034.The_Thirteenth_Tale) right now.

I loved that book!

Evilynn
04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Besides The Hunger games. I recently read the Jungle. OMG the last five chapters were just torture to read. Naive politics at its worst. Jurgis just gets deeper and deeper into trouble and then it ends with two chapters of politics being lectured at you. Just bizarre. Also o.o the meat industry might be cleaner and more ethical but they're still pumping water into our foods and processed foods are becoming ever more processed.

Next book I'm reading is Iron Council by China Mieville.

Err, get ready for some more politics! :lol: (hopefully you've read other Mievilles before IC, I think it'd scare most first timers off pretty badly)

I have an advanced copy of his new book, Railsea (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/railsea-china-mieville/1104882675?ean=9780345524522). It's a young adult novel that's a re-imagining of Moby Dick.

I was looking forward to Railsea until I read the Moby Dick-thing. :shuffle: I never bothered reading Moby Dick, I suppose it's not mandatory to read it before Railsea since Railsea is YA, but still...

I've read through half of Lilith Saintcrows Dante Valentine series (bought #3 on sale and realized I had to read #1 and #2 first), and I've still got 175 pages to go in Guy Gavriel Key's Under Heaven, but I don't want that book to end, so I'm reading it slowly. :)

NinjaTurtles
04-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Has anyone read David Foster Wallace's Everything and more: a compact history of infinity?

I ask because my relationship with math is tricky--I am awful at arithmetics, tend to transpose numbers and frequently have trouble with simplest of calculations but really enjoyed calculus because of its applicability to real life. Maths as it is always seemed dead and dry to me. So I didn't get past calculus and am wondering how much I would be able to get out of the book. Seems like something for MIT graduates.

I haven't read this, but I have heard that many a scholar criticize its mathematical accuracy.

What about Infinite Jest?

I :swoon: Infinite Jest

Have you read anything by David Foster Wallace before? Infinite Jest is surely his quintessential and ultimate work, if you appreciate his style you should enjoy it; however, he is definitely not an author for everyone. Infinite Jest is a non-linear narrative and has something like ~400 endnotes. Personally, I love David Foster Wallace as a stylist and for his satire, but I can see the erudition and inventiveness (i.e., long multi-clause sentences and acronym use) rubbing some readers the wrong way.

Infinite Jest is very large and almost a project to take on, if you haven't read some of his other work I'd start off with some of his essays as a litmus test. If you like those, definitely read Infinite Jest. Brief Interviews with Hideous Men is a good set of short stories.

Prancer
04-16-2012, 06:46 PM
IHave you read anything by David Foster Wallace before? Infinite Jest is surely his quintessential and ultimate work, if you appreciate his style you should enjoy it; however, he is definitely not an author for everyone. Infinite Jest is a non-linear narrative and has something like ~400 endnotes. Personally, I love David Foster Wallace as a stylist and for his satire, but I can see the erudition and inventiveness (i.e., long multi-clause sentences and acronym use) rubbing some readers the wrong way.

There are three main schools of thought on DFW:

1. He is a genius.
2. He is a pretentious twat.
3. He is a genius AND a pretentious twat.

So, yeah, he is definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

NinjaTurtles
04-16-2012, 07:24 PM
There are three main schools of thought on DFW:

1. He is a genius.
2. He is a pretentious twat.
3. He is a genius AND a pretentious twat.

So, yeah, he is definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

PML! I'd say No. 3 is probably the closest to the truth.

IceAlisa
04-16-2012, 08:03 PM
I haven't read this, but I have heard that many a scholar criticize its mathematical accuracy.

That's what I've heard too. It would be devastating to try to understand all this math only to find out it's wrong. I did look up limits online--seemed pretty straightforward but the books seems way beyond basic calculus.

I :swoon: Infinite Jest

Have you read anything by David Foster Wallace before? Infinite Jest is surely his quintessential and ultimate work, if you appreciate his style you should enjoy it; however, he is definitely not an author for everyone. Infinite Jest is a non-linear narrative and has something like ~400 endnotes. Personally, I love David Foster Wallace as a stylist and for his satire, but I can see the erudition and inventiveness (i.e., long multi-clause sentences and acronym use) rubbing some readers the wrong way.

Infinite Jest is very large and almost a project to take on, if you haven't read some of his other work I'd start off with some of his essays as a litmus test. If you like those, definitely read Infinite Jest. Brief Interviews with Hideous Men is a good set of short stories. I don't mind challenging books but perhaps should check this one out from the library.

Also, DFW was either a genius or a pretentious twat or both. He committed suicide and was reported to be severely depressed. So there's mental disorder in the mix as well.

star_gazer11
04-17-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm listening to Josh Bazell's newest book Wild Things. It's even funnier than Grim Reaper...

I'm pretty sure you mean Beat the Reaper. I didn't know there was a sequel out, thanks for the heads up.

The latest Gallagher Girls book by Ally Carter, Out of Sight, Out of Time - okay for me. I think the series is getting too Alias-y (and while I enjoyed that show, that's actually not a compliment in this case).

mkats
04-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Finally got my hands on Massie's Catherine the Great. :swoon:

IceAlisa
04-17-2012, 01:17 AM

Enjoy! Great read.

zaphyre14
04-17-2012, 02:00 PM
I gulped C.S. Harris' latest Sebastien St. Cyr Regency mystery "When Maidens Mourn" over the weekend. I really like this series.

I then started Naomi Novik's newest Temeraire novel "Crucible of Gold" and couldn't get into it; I'll try again later but I've skipped over to Nevada Barr's "The Rope" and was disconcerted to find that it's a pre-quel to all the other Anna Pidgeon books. I don't know if I can get my head around a non-middle-aged Anna. If I can't, at least at the moment, I have J.D. Robb's "Celebrity in Death" waiting as well as Chadwick's "The Scarlet Lion" so I should be able to find something to read. :)

dinakt
04-18-2012, 12:15 AM
What about Infinite Jest?

I have not read "Infinite Jest", but my husband did, and he absolutely LOVED it, though it was a very slow going. He says he often read it just for observations on human nature, but at the end the plot did tie up together as well. He recommends it ( that is, he says I should read it, but only in a "right frame of mind and not in a hurry"). Members of his family loved it ( they are a literary sort), but a couple of his friends quit saying that it was too irritating. I might attempt it in summer, when I have more time; it is rather intimidating.

flyingsit
04-18-2012, 06:02 PM

I finished it over the weekend.

Prancer
04-20-2012, 02:34 AM
I have finally gotten around to reading My Korean Deli (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/my-korean-deli-ben-ryder-howe/1100151126?ean=9780805093438), and I am sorry I put it off so long. I actually LOL from time to time and there's a smile on nearly every page.

I have to warn you all, though, that if you read it, you will be desperately sorry that you can't work for the Paris Review under George Plimpton. :lol:

IceAlisa
04-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Sounds like fun! On my wish list it goes.

Artemis@BC
04-20-2012, 05:39 PM
I have finally gotten around to reading My Korean Deli (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/my-korean-deli-ben-ryder-howe/1100151126?ean=9780805093438), and I am sorry I put it off so long. I actually LOL from time to time and there's a smile on nearly every page.

That one was on the shortlist for our book club earlier but we ended up changing it just because it was going to be hard for everyone to get ahold of. I have been meaning to read it anyway though ... so thanks for the reminder.