PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rjblue
04-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I've read and re-read The Lord of the Rings. I've never been able to finish any kind of genre mystery book, and I've tried dozens. ZZZZzzz- just tell me who done it. From Nancy Drew, to Agatha Christie, to Lee Child- I read a few chapters and skip to the end.
I like reading the posts on this thread, because it enables me to talk books with a co-worker who mainly reads mysteries.

topaz
04-09-2012, 04:21 AM
Does anyone read paranormal romance or urban fantasy?

I never see any of these books discussed. I'm currently listening to the audio book for Lover Reborn by JR Ward. Ward's writing is so special.

Zemgirl
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM

I never see any of these books discussed. I'm currently listening to the audio book for Lover Reborn by JR Ward. Ward's writing is so special.
I do read paranormal romances occasionally, but it's not my favorite romance sub-genre, and urban fantasy isn't my thing at all.

I haven't read any of Ward's BDB - can't get past those silly names - but I'm planning to try Nalini Singh when I'm next in the mood for PNR.

zaphyre14
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm apparently on a James Patterson kick: I whipped through "Witch & Wizard" and "W&W: The Gift" over the weekend and started "The 6th Target" this morning. I read the first five of the Women's Murder Club last year but the library didn't have #6. I skipped to #7 and realized that I didn't like missing a piece. So now I can fill in the gap and move on to 8, 9 and 10.

I have Karen Slaughter's "Kisscut" going in the car. The abridgement is terrible - it's painfully obvious where they've chopped out sections - but I like the narrator's voice It caught my interest since the opening crime is set in a skating rink - roller, not ice but still a rink.

kwanatic
04-10-2012, 01:50 PM

I'm a big fan of paranormal romance but it's been a long time since I found one that really pulled me in. I got over my vampire phase back in high school with help from Buffy, Angel, Silver Kiss and Companions of the Night. Twilight turned me completely off to it; it kinda killed the whole genre for me. I know I shouldn't judge a genre by that book (especially a book that doesn't really fit the vampire genre in any way), but the whole vampire/werewolf thing is so played out to me that I just don't even want to bother. It's going to take some time before I can pick up a vampire novel without rolling my eyes.

The last few books I've ready had to do with people with different special powers (Body Finder, the Wake triology) and recently here I've picked up books dealing with angels (Fallen, Hush Hush). I thought Body Finder and the Wake books were pretty interesting. Fallen was okay (didn't like it, didn't hate it) and I'm only 1/3 through Hush, Hush and it's okay so far.

Nomad
04-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm currently reading La Boîte en os by Antoinette Peské. Love, obsession, insanity, and possibly murder. the first two chapters have been almost all exposition. Chapter three looks like more of the same. Something had better happen in chapter four.

Ajax
04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm currently reading The Princess Bride. I had watched the movie so long ago that I don't remember it. The book is brilliant: an utterly modern satire of fairy tales. I recommend it to everyone.

Prior to this I read the Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Zafon which was recommended here I think... I'm afraid I hated it. It was overblown soap operatic melodrama, and as a feminist, the author's treatment of all the female characters solely as subservient sex objects did not sit well with me at all. The author comes up with this fantastic concept of a cemetery of abandoned books... and instead of centering the novel on this concept, makes it a tale about boring, barely developed characters who have no redeeming traits.

Stefanie
04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm reading One Day by David Nicholls. So witty and engaging. I actually found myself laughing out loud at some of the humor. :)

Christina
04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
rfisher will be happy to know that I am reading The Affair :D. I almost quit when I got to a part where he said he approached a railroad crossing sign that consisted of two rectangular slabs of wood nailed together in an X, with one saying RAILROAD and the other CROSSING.

It seems like he's coming out with a Reacher book every eight months or so. Weren't there two last year in addition to the short story?

Since I've had my Nook I've read much more than before. Even when I had the Kindle, I couldn't read in bed at night or early in the morning. With the Tablet's backlight, I can read all the time now. Which may or may not be a good thing.

Work is a little boring at times, and I probably read a book or two a week while at work. I guess there are worse things I could have to do!

flyingsit
04-10-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm reading One Day by David Nicholls. So witty and engaging. I actually found myself laughing out loud at some of the humor. :)

I read it a few months ago. And was so glad I didn't see the movie because as a major non-fan of Anne Hathaway I just couldn't imagine her in the part.

Prancer
04-10-2012, 09:21 PM
It seems like he's coming out with a Reacher book every eight months or so. Weren't there two last year in addition to the short story?

And it shows. He annoys me more with each book.

Yet I know I will not be able to resist the next one. They're like bonbons that don't taste very good but are sitting there demanding to be eaten.

But I REFUSE to pay for them. :soapbox:

Since I've had my Nook I've read much more than before. Even when I had the Kindle, I couldn't read in bed at night or early in the morning. With the Tablet's backlight, I can read all the time now. Which may or may not be a good thing.

Work is a little boring at times, and I probably read a book or two a week while at work. I guess there are worse things I could have to do!

I used to have a job where I could read books at work. God, I miss that job.

Stefanie
04-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I read it a few months ago. And was so glad I didn't see the movie because as a major non-fan of Anne Hathaway I just couldn't imagine her in the part.

I would like to see the movie. From what I've read, it has gotten mixed reviews. I'm just curious to see how they interpreted the book.

modern_muslimah
04-10-2012, 09:45 PM

I read it about a year ago. I loved it and got through it very quickly!

I saw the movie but she isn't who I had in mind when I read the book. Even after watching the movie, I still had a different picture of Emma than the writers of the screenplay. She wasn't a bad Emma (well, she didn't really try to speak with a Yorkshire accent at the beginning of the movie when they're at university...but that's nitpicking). She was just...different.

Artemis@BC
04-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I saw the movie but she isn't who I had in mind when I read the book. Even after watching the movie, I still had a different picture of Emma than the writers of the screenplay. She wasn't a bad Emma (well, she didn't really try to speak with a Yorkshire accent at the beginning of the movie when they're at university...but that's nitpicking). She was just...different.

But she did try a Yorkshire accent ... and failed. Not on an epic Kevin-Costner-in-Robin-Hood scale, but it was still pretty bad. However that part lasted such a short time, it didn't detract from the movie too much. The book is still 10x better, but the movie didn't suck as much as I thought it might.

I just started Elizabeth George's latest and I suspect I'll have the same reaction when I finally finish. Deborah is being a whiny pain, why can't the author have someone shoot her, too? ... after I finish "Believing the Lie", which I borrowed from the library. (Or after I give up on it in disgust)

I'm sorry to tell you that it doesn't get better on the Deborah front. Decidedly worse. However if you do give up in disgust (and I wouldn't blame you one bit), do yourself a favour and skim through to find the Barbara bits (the only parts worth reading). Then read the last couple of chapters. There's a nice resolution of one storyline ... and an even better "cliffhanger" setup of what I assume will be the focus of the next book.

TygerLily
04-11-2012, 01:28 AM

I never see any of these books discussed. I'm currently listening to the audio book for Lover Reborn by JR Ward. Ward's writing is so special.I'm hooked on Jayne Ann Krantz, though I recognize that most of her heroines are the same person.

What paranormal romance have you liked?

Urban fantasy isn't really my thing, but what would you recommend trying?

I don't know which category Kelley Armstrong falls under, but I enjoy her non werewolf books. (Something happens in the werewolf plotline makes me too uncomfortable to enjoy them.)