PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

zaphyre14
04-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I finished The Return of the King - and now I can cross Tolkein off my list of "Books I Never Got Around To Reading." The books have also killed any small interest I might have had in sitting through the movies.

OTOH, Chadwick's "The Greatest Knight" is leaving me anxious to get my hands on the sequel "The Scarlet Lion" ASAP. William Marshal was a medieval Rock Star! :)

PrincessLeppard
04-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm reading Birth Marked. I like the plot, but the lead character is kind of dim. Now, there's nothing wrong with dim protagonists, but I feel like the author made her dim so that she would have to spell out all the plot "twists" for us stoopid readerz. Have some faith in your readers. Even YA readers. They really do get stuff. Most of the time. :P

michiruwater
04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
The LOTR movies are roughly 293847410348 times better than the books. They really are some of the greatest movies ever made.

I quit reading LOTR somewhere at the beginning of TROTK because it was just so ungodly boring. But I watch the movies frequently. They're amazing.

puglover
04-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Does anybody else read the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child books? I have really fallen for them of late, especially the Agent Pendergast series. Both of the authors are anthropologists and they include a lot of interesting historical facts along with fast paced thrillers that always have you on the edge of your seat. They do stretch the concept of being believable and also include a fair amount of blood and gore so I'm sure they are not to everyone's tasts.

Nan
04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
OTOH, Chadwick's "The Greatest Knight" is leaving me anxious to get my hands on the sequel "The Scarlet Lion" ASAP. William Marshal was a medieval Rock Star! :)

I'm loving "The Greatest Knight" so far. I also have Chadwick's "To Defy a King" waiting on my Nook. Have you read that?

galaxygirl
04-06-2012, 04:17 PM
I read a book called Travels with a Tangerine. (Tangerine meaning someone from Tangiers, not the fruit.) It was written by an Englishman living in Yemen who spent time traveling around the MidEast in the footsteps of Ibn Battuta looking for signs of him. It was fascinating and I agree, Ibn Battuta was the MAN.

This sounds really interesting. I read Destiny Disrupted by Tamim Ansary last year and really enjoyed it. I've been meaning to read more about the history of Islam since then.

The LOTR movies are roughly 293847410348 times better than the books. They really are some of the greatest movies ever made.

I quit reading LOTR somewhere at the beginning of TROTK because it was just so ungodly boring. But I watch the movies frequently. They're amazing.

I completely agree. I didn't make it past the council meeting in the first book but I LOVED the movies. They are absolutely beautiful, especially if you watch them on a large screen and in HD.

kwanatic
04-06-2012, 07:53 PM
The LOTR movies are roughly 293847410348 times better than the books. They really are some of the greatest movies ever made... But I watch the movies frequently. They're amazing.

THIS.

They leave a ton of stuff out of the books and with good reason. I read all three but it took me the better part of a year and a half. I almost gave up because Fellowship of the Ring is so dense. But after I saw "Return of the King" it renewed my resolve to finish reading the series. A little into Two Towers it picked up steam and I was able to finish it and Return of the King pretty quickly. Having the movie as a visual reference was a big help. Usually I like to form the characters and surroundings in my head but this was a case where it was very helpful to have an image of what some of the places and creatures looked like.

Zaphyre, the movies are a gazillion times better b/c they cut out all of the unnecessary crap and just stick to the meat of the story. There are certain things that would have been cool to see (especially what happens after Frodo, Sam and the rest return to the Shire) but the way they did it kept the story moving.

BE WARNED: the first movie, like the first book, is a bit slow at the beginning. I fell asleep on it two separate times before I finally watched the whole thing. If you make it to the part where Strider/Aragorn joins the hobbits, you're home free b/c that's where it really picks up. The movies are fantastic and WAAAY more entertaining than the books. "Two Towers" is my favorite; the battle at Helms Deep is beyond EPIC!:swoon: And the major battle from "Return of the King" is incredible as well.

I have all three DVDs but these movies are one of the limited few that I repurchased on Blu-Ray. They are beautifully shot and wonderfully acted...damn! Now I want to watch them but I'm stuck at work!:(

PrincessLeppard
04-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Does anybody else read the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child books? I have really fallen for them of late, especially the Agent Pendergast series. Both of the authors are anthropologists and they include a lot of interesting historical facts along with fast paced thrillers that always have you on the edge of your seat. They do stretch the concept of being believable and also include a fair amount of blood and gore so I'm sure they are not to everyone's tasts.

rfisher and I will fight you to the death. Agent Pendergast is OUR (well, mine, really, but don't tell rfisher) literary boyfriend. ;)

rfisher
04-06-2012, 09:49 PM

Actually, they aren't anthropologists, :lol: , but they do pretty good research. :) Doug Preston did work at the American Museum of Natural History and had reasonably good knowlege of the museum's layout for Relic and the creation of Nora's character. You should check out their web page, especially the Pendergast files. The Gideon Crew books are OK, but Gideon is no Pendergast. Lincoln Child has a stand alone coming out in June. Their solo books are also OK, but not as good as the collaborations. I've pretty much figured out who writes what after reading the solos.

rfisher and I will fight you to the death. Agent Pendergast is OUR (well, mine, really, but don't tell rfisher) literary boyfriend. ;)

He was mine waaaaay before he was yours. You haven't even read the last book. :drama: And, I'm not going to tell you what happens. :P

PrincessLeppard
04-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I did too read the last book! I bought it on my iPad. :)

And I read the Relic right when it came out, bint. :mad:

rfisher
04-06-2012, 10:52 PM
I did too read the last book! I bought it on my iPad. :)

And I read the Relic right when it came out, bint. :mad:

HA! I not only read it, but called some colleagues at the AMNH and talked about the basements! And went to see that travesty of a movie. :P

So, do you think Helen is toast? And is the kid really dead?

PrincessLeppard
04-07-2012, 03:37 AM
I hope Helen is toast. :P Why do I not remember a kid? The wannabe assistant chick?

I saw the movie, too, bint. IN THE THEATRE.

Marge_Simpson
04-08-2012, 05:08 AM
I just finished "The Hypnotist" by Lars Kepler; a coworker lent it to me. What a piece of crap. :mad: Obnoxious characters and I could see the ending a mile off.
I just started Elizabeth George's latest and I suspect I'll have the same reaction when I finally finish. Deborah is being a whiny pain, why can't the author have someone shoot her, too?
I bought Anne Tyler's latest yesterday, "The Beginner's Goodbye". I'm saving that for after I finish "Believing the Lie", which I borrowed from the library. (Or after I give up on it in disgust)
Tyler is my favorite author so I suspect I will enjoy it. I was lucky enough to snag an authographed copy. :)
I'd love to meet her in person but I don't think she does book tours...I've heard that she's quite shy. If anyone's read it, what did you think? "The Accidental Tourist" and "Breathing Lessons" are on my top-10 list.

Zemgirl
04-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I agree and disagree. I thought some of the omissions were really for the best (clearly the Old Forrest chapters had to go) but not all of them - and I disliked the expanded battle scenes. I didn't find them all that interesting in the books, where they were about one chapter apiece, and certainly didn't care to see them as a major focus in the movies.

Prancer
04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
I have never been able to stay awake through an entire LOTR movie; if the books are even more boring, I am beyond glad I haven't read them.

rfisher will be happy to know that I am reading The Affair :D. I almost quit when I got to a part where he said he approached a railroad crossing sign that consisted of two rectangular slabs of wood nailed together in an X, with one saying RAILROAD and the other CROSSING.

Really? Golly, who would have thought a railroad crossing sign looked like that? Thank you, Lee Child, for expanding my horizons. :rolleyes: It's not as bad as his page-long explanation for why only a military person would use K to indicate thousands in his last book (or the one before, can't remember which), but man, he really does think we're all dumber than freaking dirt. But not as dumb as he makes some of his characters out to be; seriously, the former Marine cop who is supposed to be so brilliant completely missed the screamingly obvious blood evidence? Duh.

Why do I keep reading these books? Why, god, why? :drama: