PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

modern_muslimah
04-04-2012, 04:35 AM
At my library gig today, I got a shelf check request over the phone for something called Behold a Pale Whore.

And, yes, it's real (http://www.amazon.com/Behold-Pale-Whore-Second-Episode/dp/0975396617/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333495479&sr=8-1). :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fergus
04-04-2012, 04:57 AM
"Thou shall not f@#k a black woman's man......"

Or any woman's, actually.

I learned that one the hard way. :slinkaway

puglover
04-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Erin - I have read all of the Michael Connelly books in the Harry Bosch series. Harry is a very complicated, interesting hero. If you read the Brass Verdict you have some idea that he is a LAPD officer - although sort of retired in some of them so he can work outside the bounds - and Mickey Haller's half brother. In order the Bosch series goes: 1. Black Echo, 2. Black Ice, 3. Concrete Blonde, 4. Last Coyote, 5. Trunk Music, 6. Angel's Flight, 7. Darkness More Than Night, 8. City of Bones, 9. Last Flight, 10. The Narrows, 11. The Closers, 12. Echo Park, 13. The Overlook, 14. Brass Verdict, 15. 9 Dragons, 16. The Reversal. I liked them all a lot except for 9 Dragons. You don't need to read them in order but it would probably help because the series does include the changes in his life as well as the cases he is working on. Happy reading.

Artemis@BC
04-04-2012, 06:27 PM
In the meantime, I watched My Week With Marilyn over the weekend and decided to go read the two books the movie is based on...starting with the diaries of The Prince, the Showgirl, and Me, which is pretty entertaining so far. Colin Clark was evidently a precocious kid...a lot of the events in the movie that I had assumed were "Hollywood-ized" (such as when he says that he'll sit around all day and wait until he gets a job) came straight from his diaries.

Which of course guarantees that they actually did happen! :cool:

I watched the movie this past weekend too, and although I enjoyed it for what it was, I can't say it made me want to run out and read anything more about it. Mostly because I just don't care for (written) biographies in general. I would be interested, though, to know if Dame Sybil Thorndike (the Judi Dench character) was as much of an absolute sweetheart as she she was portrayed in the film. I wanted to adopt her as my godmother!

In an interesting coincidence, though, I also watched season one of The Hour this weekend, which is set at the same time. There's a dinner party scene where someone brings up "Oh, did you hear, Marilyn Monroe has been taken with gastritis, and they've had to suspend filming on The Prince and the Showgirl."

kwanatic
04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I bought a crap ton of books when Borders went out of business last year, so I've been slowly working my way through them.

I just started this one called Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. It's a YA book about some girl and a fallen angel...doesn't sound too original but it was like $4 and seemed like it might be a decent quick read. I read Fallen and it was alright...I didn't really like it but I didn't exactly hate it either. I'm hoping this one will be somewhere around that...

After I finish it I plan on going back to finish reading Wicked. I started it and it was interesting for a bit but then it got really political (politics bore me) and I lost interest a bit. I don't like starting books and not finishing them so I'm going to finish it at some point...

After Wicked I'll start on some of my historical narrative books. I think I'll read Empress Orchid by Anchee Min first and then I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles after that. Both are supposed first person accounts of two royals (Empress Dowager Cixi and Queen Elizabeth) so I think I'll enjoy them...

Erin
04-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Which of course guarantees that they actually did happen! :cool:

Well, I didn't say that it actually happened, just that it came from the diaries. Whether Colin Clark made it up or not, I obviously don't know, but it definitely wasn't a Hollywood screenwriter who did. That said, his preface at the beginning of the book says that he changed very little when transcribing the diaries and I don't have any particular reason to doubt that at this point.

I thought the movie was reasonably enjoyable, but as usual, I like the book better. If I even moderately like a movie, I'll almost always read the book afterward.

And obviously no guarantee that this was true in real life ;), but Dame Sybil is just as much of a doll in the book as she was in the movie.

Prancer
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm reading about Muslims who were pioneers of cartography. I'm sure you would all like to know more about that, but I just started and don't know much :P.

Not about a book, but since a participant in this thread who shall remain unnamed (coughspinnercough) has shared statistics about how few people read for pleasure in various spots, I thought I would share this:

http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2012/04/04/the-rise-of-e-reading/

It's mostly about e-reading, but there is this, too:

80% of Americans age 16 and older say they read at least occasionally for pleasure. Some 36% read for pleasure every day or almost every day.

And for those of you who think that e-reading is for people who don't like to read: The average reader of e-books says she has read 24 books (the mean number) in the past 12 months, compared with an average of 15 books by a non-e-book consumer.

:D

attyfan
04-05-2012, 09:52 PM
After Wicked I'll start on some of my historical narrative books. I think I'll read Empress Orchid by Anchee Min first and then I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles after that. Both are supposed first person accounts of two royals (Empress Dowager Cixi and Queen Elizabeth) so I think I'll enjoy them...

I enjoyed "I, Elizabeth".

IceAlisa
04-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I liked Empress Orchid. Enjoy!

galaxygirl
04-05-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm reading about Muslims who were pioneers of cartography. I'm sure you would all like to know more about that, but I just started and don't know much :P.

I would, actually. What's it called?

Prancer
04-05-2012, 10:46 PM
I would, actually. What's it called?

It's not a book; it's pile of handouts.

But if you are interested in the basic overview, look up:

al-Idrisi
Ibn al-Faqih
Ibn Khaldun
Ibn Battuta

Spinner
04-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Not about a book, but since a participant in this thread who shall remain unnamed (coughspinnercough) has shared statistics about how few people read for pleasure in various spots, I thought I would share this:[/I]

:confused: I said this?

I read this article earlier today. Stats aren't surprising at all with the recent explosion in the tablet market.

Prancer
04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
:confused: I said this?

You posted some bogus survey about how few people read for pleasure :drama:. I knew it was all wrong even at the time.

On another note, Ibn Battuta was the MAN.

emason
04-06-2012, 12:52 AM
You posted some bogus survey about how few people read for pleasure :drama:. I knew it was all wrong even at the time.

On another note, Ibn Battuta was the MAN.

I read a book called Travels with a Tangerine. (Tangerine meaning someone from Tangiers, not the fruit.) It was written by an Englishman living in Yemen who spent time traveling around the MidEast in the footsteps of Ibn Battuta looking for signs of him. It was fascinating and I agree, Ibn Battuta was the MAN.

Spinner
04-06-2012, 06:13 AM
:drama: I have no recollection of this.