PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

zaphyre14
04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
For Prancer: I'm really enjoying Chadwick's "The Greatest Knight" - and not just because of the contrast with Tolkein (I'm 2/3rds of the way through "Return of The King" so I'll finish it if it kills me, just so I can say I did.). I like Chadwick's style - although some of the battle details drag a bit - and she's definitely done her research. I'll give it a Thumbs-up, for what that's worth. :)

Artemis@BC
04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I've always thought The Robber Bride was one of her most compelling and cohesive works. It also begs to be a movie.
I've already picked out a cast:
Angelina Jolie as Zenia
Jeanine Garrafalo as the history professor obsessed with war, Tony
Daryl Hannah as Charis
Bette Middler as Roz

I like your casting choices except for Zenia -- and certainly anyone rather than Wendy Crewson (who I just can't stand) as Roz would have been an improvement.

I started watching the movie when it aired a few years back but fell asleep. That may or may not be a comment on its quality. But it's still on my DVR, so I might actually get around to watching it someday.

IceAlisa
04-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I saw a snippet on youtube--seemed to be totally divergent from the book. Meh.

Artemis@BC
04-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Apologies if this has been discussed before but ... has anyone read Divergent by Veronica Roth? I'm next in the library queue for it, hoping to read it before the sequel comes out. It's had some pretty good reviews, but I don't know how many of those are teen fangirls looking for "something like The Hunger Games" (not that there's anything wrong with that ...), and how many are more balanced reviews.

Spinner
04-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Apologies if this has been discussed before but ... has anyone read Divergent by Veronica Roth? I'm next in the library queue for it, hoping to read it before the sequel comes out. It's had some pretty good reviews, but I don't know how many of those are teen fangirls looking for "something like The Hunger Games" (not that there's anything wrong with that ...), and how many are more balanced reviews.

I've not read it, but from what I've heard it's very well-written and seems to have broad appeal across ages and gender. What I can tell you is that both in my bookstore and the Twitterverse the eagerness for its sequel, Insurgent, is very strong.

Buzz
04-02-2012, 10:17 PM
The Hunger Games trilogy is not available on iBooks for some silly reason so I was forced to run out and buy a hard copy at Indigo. I am very much looking forward to reading the book since I enjoyed the movie so much.

Nan
04-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I will be starting Elizabeth Chadwick's "The Greatest Knight" about William Marshall tonight.

Let me know if you like it. I have it somewhere.

For Prancer: I'm really enjoying Chadwick's "The Greatest Knight" - and not just because of the contrast with Tolkein (I'm 2/3rds of the way through "Return of The King" so I'll finish it if it kills me, just so I can say I did.). I like Chadwick's style - although some of the battle details drag a bit - and she's definitely done her research. I'll give it a Thumbs-up, for what that's worth. :)

Good to know. I have this waiting on my Nook. I'll bump it up to "next." :)

PrincessLeppard
04-02-2012, 10:46 PM

I've read it! I actually liked it a bit, though the ending seemed rushed to me. I didn't know there was a sequel in the works, so that's kind of cool. I did like the heroine, strong but vulnerable when the plot called for it.

galaxygirl
04-02-2012, 11:14 PM

I loved it. I actually preferred it to The Hunger Games, though I do agree with PL about the ending.

I've read it! I actually liked it a bit, though the ending seemed rushed to me. I didn't know there was a sequel in the works, so that's kind of cool. I did like the heroine, strong but vulnerable when the plot called for it.

The sequel is being released on May 1st.

zaphyre14
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Good to know. I have this waiting on my Nook. I'll bump it up to "next." :)

Thanks. Let me know what you think. I'm not used to people (other than Prancer and rfisher :) ) admitting to having similar tastes to mine. :shuffle:

I found another box of old Harlequin and Signet romances in my basement. I don't remember ever reading them and, after a quick glance through a couple, decided I won't bother. Onto the swap site they go! If nobody wants them there, they'll head to the church sale at the end of June. Either way, I'll have room for more of MY books! Yay!

Fergus
04-04-2012, 12:25 AM
At my library gig today, I got a shelf check request over the phone for something called Behold a Pale Whore.

And, yes, it's real (http://www.amazon.com/Behold-Pale-Whore-Second-Episode/dp/0975396617/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333495479&sr=8-1). :rofl:

michiruwater
04-04-2012, 12:28 AM
The commandment "Thou Shall Not Kill" and "Thou shall not steal" is repeated all over the entire world, however Patricia G better known as Mende on the streets and between the sheets will laugh in your face and tell you that she don't give a damn about anyone's law. Mende's a spoiled white chick from the suburbs who only sleeps with black men and like most teenagers with a strict father, she gets buckwild behind his back. Mende's obsessive fascination with inner-city fast life becomes a quick reality, but it aint all glitz-n-glamour like she thought. Ol' girl learns the hard way that in these mean streets it's survival of the illest...Mende takes what she wants when she wants it, whether it belongs to her or not until she finally meets up with a few sistas who teach her a brand new commandment..."Thou shall not f@#k a black woman's man or try to run away with all her money without catching an old-school project beat down!"

Sounds like a serious gem of a book, Fergus :rofl:

Erin
04-04-2012, 01:19 AM
I whipped through The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly this past weekend, second book in the Mickey Haller series. Really enjoyed it, a quick but suspenseful read that kept me interested the whole time. The only other book I'd read by him was The Lincoln Lawyer. My library doesn't have any more of the Mickey Haller series left, so it's either buy the books or try one of his other series. Has anyone read the Harry Bosch or Jack McEnvoy books? And if so, how do they compare to the Mickey Haller ones? I guess I don't have a whole lot to lose by trying the library ones out, aside from my time.

In the meantime, I watched My Week With Marilyn over the weekend and decided to go read the two books the movie is based on, which are now conveniently packaged into one. I'm trying to read in chronological order, which means starting with the diaries of The Prince, the Showgirl, and Me, which is pretty entertaining so far. Colin Clark was evidently a precocious kid...a lot of the events in the movie that I had assumed were "Hollywood-ized" (such as when he says that he'll sit around all day and wait until he gets a job) came straight from his diaries.

PrincessLeppard
04-04-2012, 02:32 AM
Is it wrong that I want read behold a Pale Whore?

IceAlisa
04-04-2012, 03:21 AM
No. Sounds intriguing.