PDA

View Full Version : Talk about Figure Skating Skaters nicknames in your country~

Pages : 1 [2] 3

GoGreen
02-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Poor Plushy. It seems that Chinese hates him... :(

On the contrary, the Old Artist is fashioned the same way as the People's Artist, it is the kind of title given to the most renowned and extremely accomplished artists in the Soviet Union era or in China in the past.

Plushy was nicknamed in such a way to complement the longevity of his career and his artistry, it also acknowledges him as a legacy from the Soviet era. In Chinese, "old" is not a bad word, it is associated with seniority in status and command of respect. The nickname does tease him a bit of his advanced age as a figure skater, but very affectionately so. The lengendary Swedish table tennis player Jan-Ove Waldner is widely nicknamed as the "Old Wa" (老瓦)in China. Again here the ”Old“ is a complement of his evergreen career. (p.s. Waldner is probably one of the most beloved foreign athletes in China). Plushy is also nicknamed as "Plush King" or "The Tsar".

Mao's Chinese is more like "Kitten", a compliment to her jumping ability and her cuteness.

galaxy
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
On the contrary, the Old Artist is fashioned the same way as the People's Artist, it is the kind of title given to the most renowned and extremely accomplished artists in the Soviet Union era or in China in the past.

Plushy was nicknamed in such a way to complement the longevity of his career and his artistry, it also acknowledges him as a legacy from the Soviet era. In Chinese, "old" is not a bad word, it is associated with seniority in status and command of respect. The nickname does tease him a bit of his advanced age as a figure skater, but very affectionately so. The lengendary Swedish table tennis player Jan-Ove Waldner is widely nicknamed as the "Old Wa" (老瓦)in China. Again here the ”Old“ is a complement of his evergreen career. (p.s. Waldner is probably one of the most beloved foreign athletes in China). Plushy is also nicknamed as "Plush King" or "The Tsar".

Mao's Chinese is more like "Kitten", a compliment to her jumping ability and her cuteness.

Plushenko'a debut skate in Japan was when he was 15. He blew away Japanese fans and audience, and gave an enourmous impact to Japanese figure skating world. Since then he has been mostly called "Genius", like Genius Plushenko. When he was very young, there was a time he was called "Alien". :lol: That means he was too incredible to be a human being, or his ability was beyond human abilities. Then later he started to be called "Emperor" or "King".

os168
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah in Chinese Skating forums, he is also called Pu Emperor.

Although there are others like to call him more endearingly like 'PuPu', kind of like how they call little kids, pets and especially Pandas :P

He is one of the rare skater that has received this treatment to my collection, which shows great fondness for him.

GoGreen
02-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Plushenko'a debut skate in Japan was when he was 15. He blew away Japanese fans and audience, and gave an enourmous impact to Japanese figure skating world. Since then he has been mostly called "Genius", like Genius Plushenko. When he was very young, there was a time he was called "Alien". :lol: That means he was too incredible to be a human being, or his ability was beyond human abilities. Then later he started to be called "Emperor" or "King".

I think Plushenko likes many Japanese skaters too. And it is interesting that in China, he was also nicknamed as "Cat" or "Kitten" when he was very young, for his cat-like jumping ability. Now that nickname was passed to Mao Asada, which is very fitting too.

Jot the Dot Dot
02-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Surprised no one has mentions Miki Ando's nickname: Mikkitty.

Moka-Ananas
02-10-2012, 01:16 PM
A friend of mine watched Skate Canada this season with me and she called Cynthia Phaneuf "John Travolta" and Rachael Flatt "Rachael Fat".

julianaqtpi
02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Aside from "Apron" or whatever for Patrick Chan, my sister and I call him the Human Zamboni. And I call Plushenko "Big Nose", because when you're five years old and watching the 2002 Olympics, that's what you think. Plus it's easier to say than Plushenko.

iarispiralllyof
02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
does michelle have a nickname in china? do they even know of her over there?

I know she won that Nickelodeon kid's favorite female athlete award in china but that was a lloooong time ago

GoGreen
02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
does michelle have a nickname in china? do they even know of her over there?

I know she won that Nickelodeon kid's favorite female athlete award in china but that was a lloooong time ago

Michelle is well liked in China. She is nicknamed "Kwan the Empress". Similarly, Yuna is "Kim the Queen", Plushenko is "Pu the Emperor".

NarumiAyane
02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
My 7 yo sister calls Caydee and John Moppy Denney (cuz apparently her looks like a mop) and Bald Coughlin (according to her, he looked bald during 4cc)

rosebrallier
02-29-2012, 12:58 AM
I've heard Armin Mabanoozadeh called Armin-hammer (Arm 'n Hammer).

os168
03-01-2012, 12:11 AM
A friend of mine watched Skate Canada this season with me and she called Cynthia Phaneuf "John Travolta" and Rachael Flatt "Rachael Fat".

I get Rachel, but how where did the John Travolta come from?
OH wait, i just did google search and this came up

http://media.olympic.ca/files/athleteheadshots/Cynthia_Phaneuf.jpg

Your friend is soooo right!! :lol:

aliceanne
03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I've heard Armin Mabanoozadeh called Armin-hammer (Arm 'n Hammer).

When he first came on the scene he was often referred to as the Persian Prince because people could not spell or pronounce his name.

CatherineC
07-20-2012, 09:53 PM
When I was little, i wrong read Tessa Virtue's name, not as Tessa Virtue, but like Tessa Virtuve. And in our (latvian) launguage, -
Virtuve = kitchen. :D
So, my nickname for her is Virtuve (Kitchen) :D

Blair
07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Brian Joubert has been called Baboo for years.