PDA

View Full Version : New Gracie Gold profile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Sylvia
02-25-2012, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't over-analyze what Gracie said to a local reporter when she was 14 about what she might do in college (or hold her to it). ;)

sk9tingfan
02-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Will Gracie skate at Senior GP series next season?

I guess we'll have to see how she does at Junior Worlds. That might be one of the deciding factors as to whether or not she receives a GP assignment.

letsskate
02-26-2012, 12:30 AM
What kind of score or placement does Gracie need at the Junior Worlds to be able to compete at senior GP next season?

Also, I'm just wondering whether she wants to keep competing at the junior level but do senior nationals? or is she moving up to senior level nationally and internationally completely?

sk9tingfan
02-26-2012, 12:41 AM
What kind of score or placement does Gracie need at the Junior Worlds to be able to compete at senior GP next season?

Also, I'm just wondering whether she wants to keep competing at the junior level but do senior nationals? or is she moving up to senior level nationally and internationally completely?

I took the easy way out and let Wikipedia do the work. There may be other information available which I'll see if I can find (that is, someone more facile/expert with the ISU regs doesn't beat me to it :) )

Per Wikipedia:

"Qualifying Skaters are entered in the individual events either by being seeded or by invitation. The seeding of top skaters at Grand Prix events basically takes into account their placement from the previous World Championships, as well as their ISU international ranking. Skaters who are not seeded can be invited by the hosting country and each country can invite up to three of their own skaters for each discipline. This is to give a balanced field throughout the series, as well as allowing the hosting country a chance to showcase their top competitors."

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Usually a top 24 ISU Season Best total score will guarantee 1 Grand Prix invitation IF a skater/team elects to compete senior internationally. Gracie Gold is currently #11 on the SB list (with a chance to improve on this score at Junior Worlds). It will be her and her team's decision whether or not to compete as a senior internationally next season.

sk9tingfan
02-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Usually a top 24 ISU Season Best total score will guarantee 1 Grand Prix invitation IF a skater/team elects to compete senior internationally. Gracie Gold is currently #11 on the SB list (with a chance to improve on this score at Junior Worlds). It will be her and her team's decision whether or not to compete as a senior internationally next season.

As always, the supremely knowledgeable Sylvia. Thanks ever so much!

letsskate
02-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Thank you Sylvia and sk9tingfan for answering :) I guess then based on the top 24 rule, it's most likely that Gracie will get one senior GP next season if she chooses to compete.

I asked because I thought Gracie would have probably mentioned somewhere before whether she's doing senior or junior GP next season, but probably not.

feraina
02-26-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm guessing Gracie and her team are waiting for JW to make a decision -- if she doesn't medal, then it would make sense to do JGP next year.

RD
02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
If she is shooting for Sochi 2014 I'd make the argument that she should go senior next year no matter what the JW result...

Stephanie
02-26-2012, 06:49 PM
If she is shooting for Sochi 2014 I'd make the argument that she should go senior next year no matter what the JW result...

I agree. She's already guaranteed one senior GP (based on her SB score) and I'm sure USFS politiking (if necessary) could get her a second.

Jammers
02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I'd much rather they gave Gracie 2 GP events next years especially if she does well at JW's then someone like Rachael Flatt.

pinky166
02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
I'd much rather they gave Gracie 2 GP events next years especially if she does well at JW's then someone like Rachael Flatt.

A lot of it has to do on politiking. Rachael has experience and past results on her side, while Gracie, especially if she doesn't medal at JW, has very little international experience to back her up. You get invited to GP events, the USFS doesn't just decide who gets to go, it's a lot more complicated than that and the final assignments depend on a bunch of factors, many of them un-related to the USFS's wishes.

Jammers
02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
That may be true but if Gracie medals at JR worlds the USFS has to look to the future. Rachael isn't a part of that future.

bek
02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
A lot of it has to do on politiking. Rachael has experience and past results on her side, while Gracie, especially if she doesn't medal at JW, has very little international experience to back her up. You get invited to GP events, the USFS doesn't just decide who gets to go, it's a lot more complicated than that and the final assignments depend on a bunch of factors, many of them un-related to the USFS's wishes.

This may all be true. But with her Season score would probably qualify on her own for at LEAST one spot. And the USFSA could arrange to give her a second one at Skate America.

pinky166
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
This may all be true. But with her Season score would probably qualify on her own for at LEAST one spot. And the USFSA could arrange to give her a second one at Skate America.

This is true. Her SB will give her one spot, and a second can come in the form of a host spot, but it's more if she doesn't medal at JW, she can't be certain of getting 2 spots, even though there is a good chance she still could. Even if she doesn't she might get Nebelhorn or something in addition to her 1 GP and then moving up would still probably be worth it. She probably will medal at JW though so I'm not too worried.