PDA

View Full Version : New Gracie Gold profile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

aftershocks
02-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Aside from the hyped attention-grabbing title of the article, the actual content of the article is fairly well balanced, despite a few hyperboles. Also Gracie's and her parents' attitudes and approaches seem realistic. GG seems to be excited, while at the same time tempering that excitement with hard work and with the knowledge that it ain't exactly a given that she will make any Olympic team, since there are still so many unknowns and obstacles/ challenges to overcome.

I wish Gracie and her family lots of good luck. Mostly I wish Gracie the opportunity to breathe, to develop with grace, to attain the understanding of how to deal with the pressures, and to truly be able to enjoy and grow from all that lies ahead of her, no matter what her future holds. If only the media and overzealous fans could just calm down with some of their rhetoric and the temptation to get ahead of themselves with the cheering for someone who is still right now only a very talented junior skater with the potential for greatness -- but not yet a senior division World champion.

The article's title might sound a little less hyped if it read: "Chatham figure skater dreaming of Olympic gold," or: "Chatham figure skater on track for Olympic berth," or: "... Olympic competition."

I think the comparisons to Tonya Harding are actually a bit too much on a number of levels. Sure, I get the fact of their raw jumping talent comparisons and their good jumping technique, but it's not as if Harding's superb athletic qualities and jumping talent were truly appreciated and valued during her prime. In fact, not even Harding truly believed in her abilities. During that period in USFS history, it was more about Kristi's well-rounded talent and charming girl-next-door appeal, and Nancy Kerrigan's athleticism and skating princess-in-waiting, Kate Hepburn look-alike appeal...

Oops ... Oh Gosh, guess I talked myself into realizing that Gracie seems to have it all: irresistible talent, technique, athleticism, great name, gorgeous looks. I can see George B beaming and saying: "Say Hello, Gracie!"

Calm down, aftershocks. :P

essence_of_soy
02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Speaking of Tara, I remember going to US Nationals in Detroit in 1994 and seeing her skate in the novice ladies event. Though it was won by Cohen Duncan (and Sydne Vogel, who would become the US Junior Champion the next year was 5th), Lipinski was the real stand out. She attempted 3 triple jumps in her free skate which was unheard of at the time. I don't think a smile left her face for the entire program.

Being compared to Tara at this stage of her career, how exciting for the United States that they have a prospect like Gold on their hands. I look forward to Gracie's continued success and development.

maureenfarone
02-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I enjoyed Gracie at Skate Detroit and Nationals. She has good jumps and some good flow across the ice. What I noticed more at Nationals is that she holds out her moves and doesn't just rush through everything as junior skaters often do. Since she has already had a major growth spurt, maybe that won't be such a big issue when she moves up to seniors.

The ice is slippery, though, so who knows how she will do in the future. I wish her well and look forward to seeing her in the future. :)

Jammers
02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Gracie really doesn't look or skate like a Junior skater even though at 16 she's really not old for a Junior. Of course some of these girls haven't grown much yet and still look like little girls but Gracie looked like she should have been skating against Ashley, Alissa etc etc.

RD
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I dunno, I thought it was clear that she still needs to take that extra step presentation-wise to really match up with them. But that's something that *may* come with time.

aliona22
02-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Springfield, IL local ABC news feature on Gracie Gold ahead of Junior Worlds that also features her twin skater sister, Carly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJgwazj_88

OT, but is that reporter wearing marge simpson's chanel suit?

love_skate2011
02-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Gracie is so lovely :)
she is a lock for silver at Junior Worlds, imo

Jammers
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Nice way to jinx Gracie. In skating their is no such thing as a "lock".

DORISPULASKI
02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Gracie herself says she views Jr worlds as a learning experience, and plans to skate sr. Nationals next year, and hopes to finish top 6 there.

I don't think those goals are unrealistic.

RD
02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
^ Sounds doable to me.

Sylvia
02-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Gracie herself says she views Jr worlds as a learning experience, and plans to skate sr. Nationals next year, and hopes to finish top 6 there.
I was going to ask you the source for the "top 6 in Senior" next season part but I just found it!

Here's a phone interview/narration by Gracie Gold before Junior Worlds in which talks about her goals next week in Minsk and next season (includes a montage of still photos): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPHivHyuXE
(Note: The high school video producer may very well be the same Hannah Merrill who was once a fellow competitive skater in the Springfield FSC in Illinois, Gracie's former club)

sk9tingfan
02-25-2012, 06:14 PM
I was going to ask you the source for the "top 6 in Senior" next season part but I just found it!

Here's a phone interview/narration by Gracie Gold before Junior Worlds in which talks about her goals next week in Minsk and next season (includes a montage of still photos): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPHivHyuXE
(Note: The high school video producer may very well be the same Hannah Merrill who was once a fellow competitive skater in the Springfield FSC in Illinois, Gracie's former club)

Thanks for finding and posting this! Great to hear :)

Yukari Lepisto
02-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Will Gracie skate at Senior GP series next season?

Sylvia
02-25-2012, 09:01 PM
^^^ We don't know yet.

iarispiralllyof
02-25-2012, 09:02 PM
her college plans were to attend Stanford University to study ophthalmology

how would you study opthamology at stanford as an undergrad? is that even possible?

wouldn't she just be premed?

and it's one thing to major in engineering or another hard science at stanford while skating (like rachael) but to do so and expect to be an ELITE competitor? she'd have to win oly gold while only doing part time at stanford or something and then truly focus on school afterwards