PDA

View Full Version : New Gracie Gold profile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

euterpe
02-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Tara delivered her program well in 95. She was just out skated - like Michelle in 1998.

Tara didn't skate at Worlds in 1995. But she was 15th at Worlds 1996, when Michelle won and Tonia Kwiatkowski was 8th. Having 14 skaters finish ahead of Tara isn't my definition of a program well-delivered.

Vash01
02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Tara didn't skate at Worlds in 1995. But she was 15th at Worlds 1996, when Michelle won and Tonia Kwiatkowski was 8th. Having 14 skaters finish ahead of Tara isn't my definition of a program well-delivered.

Tara had two falls in her SP at the 1996 worlds, but she had a great free skate, with a 3s3r combination. In the 6.0 system it was not easy to move up the way it is in the COP, so her overall placement was still low, but she really delivered a very strong LP.

DORISPULASKI
02-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Tara was at Jr Worlds in 1995, AFAIR.

fenway2
02-06-2012, 11:21 PM
No, she didn't-but there is no video to say one way or the othern

Yes she did. I'd say if you call Tara's two performances in 1995 as bombing then anyone who enters a competition with lots of media hype, skates well and doesn't win = bomb. i.e. Kwan in 98 We differ in our opinions and we'll leave it at that.

Your memory is one way of the event, mine the other way. I would have had McConn second. That doesn't surprise me. I would love it if someone could upload Tara's short and long to YouTube so everyone else can see these performances where she bombed. :) It's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that, even her detractors.

FSfan107
02-06-2012, 11:50 PM
I had heard of Tara before that too, as a junior but I don't recall the kind of hype Gracie is getting right now. For example: Gracie would crush the Russians, Gracie as good as Midori and Tonya, etc. That is overhyping, and it's way too early in her case to do that.

You do realize the people starting the threads saying "Gracie will CRUSH the Russians..." and such are doing so deliberately to stir the pot? Hardly your everyday skating fan. I haven't seen any "FSU regular" hyping her up.

MacMadame
02-07-2012, 12:13 AM
So Tara did not deliver on the hype (bombed) and Gracie did deliver.
There is a big difference between not delivering on the hype and bombing. Tara skated well. She didn't fall apart. She came in 2nd which is good.

That's only a bomb if you completely change the definition of what a bomb is and you stand on your head while hoping on one foot and it's the 30th of February. :lol:

Now Dornbush's SP at Nationals this year ... THAT was a bomb.

What Tara delivered wasn't even close.

fenway2
02-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Tara didn't skate at Worlds in 1995. But she was 15th at Worlds 1996, when Michelle won and Tonia Kwiatkowski was 8th. Having 14 skaters finish ahead of Tara isn't my definition of a program well-delivered. I'm not sure where you're getting any ideas that I was discussing worlds in any year. If you were following the discussion then you'd know I was talking about 95 nationals. :)

fenway2
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
You do realize the people starting the threads saying "Gracie will CRUSH the Russians..." and such are doing so deliberately to stir the pot? Word. It amazes me how many people actually took the bait on the "Gracie will CRUSH the Russians..." thread. :yikes:

UGG
02-07-2012, 02:45 AM
The publicist had articles in all the Providence papers, and fluff pieces on the nightly news. For a 12 year old girl just new to juniors. It was so ginormous that it sets my teeth on edge just thinking about it.

But in those days there was no internet for everyone to see the hype--so the effect nationally was not the same.

When Tara skated, we were like, "This is the girl who was going to win seniors next year (which is what the publicity had implied)??" She was slow with tiny little jumps. The publicity led you to believe she was going to crush her junior opponents by miles. Instead she was beaten. In both the short and the long. By an Alaskan girl. (And that silver was a bit of a gift. I thought Britney McConn who was 3rd was better at the time. If I saw the performances today, I can't say, but that's what I thought then) To compare, Gracie not only won, she won by 23 points, and she won both the short and the long.

So Tara did not deliver on the hype (bombed) and Gracie did deliver. At Worlds, Tara was 4th, which was good for her age, but nowhere near what was hyped.

Caroline Zhang was was jr world champion, and supposed to be the next Michelle Kwan.So in my eyes, if someone lives up to the hype as a Jr it does not really show shades of the future at all. Wasn't Rachel Flatt a jr world champ also?

Nomad
02-07-2012, 02:50 AM
^ Yes, in 2008.

bek
02-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Caroline Zhang was was jr world champion, and supposed to be the next Michelle Kwan.So in my eyes, if someone lives up to the hype as a Jr it does not really show shades of the future at all. Wasn't Rachel Flatt a jr world champ also?
Exactly. Not to mention look how old Tara was when she went to Jr Nationals and Jr Worlds. She was a heck of a lot younger than Gracie. In fact by Gracie's age; Tara was already World and (I believe) Olympic Champ too. Gracie didn't even make nationals last year. Considering Gracie did well at Novice nationals; I'm sure expectations were she'd make Jr nationals last year. So she too had trouble dealing a bit with expectations.

So what if Tara struggled a bit at 12 to handle pressure; she was 12. Most skaters struggle at one time with expectations.

I think Gracie is really great jumper and seems very talented. But still....

And as mentioned how many people were Jr World Champs/Jr National champs and didn't succeed. Looking at Polina k; she will never be on a Junior World podium it seems; but she could easily become more successful than some of her counterparts who are.

MacMadame
02-07-2012, 05:31 AM
Considering Gracie did well at Novice nationals; I'm sure expectations were she'd make Jr nationals last year. So she too had trouble dealing a bit with expectations.

No, she had trouble dealing with a growth spurt.

bek
02-07-2012, 05:33 AM
No, she had trouble dealing with a growth spurt.

And expectations didn't have anything to do with that as well. I think I recall in an article her saying some of it was pressure. I'd have to look it up. Not that there's frankly anything wrong with that. Lots of great athletes go through periods where they struggle with pressure etc. Michael Jordan got cut form a high school basketball team. But to criticize Tara for only taking second at Nationals; vs Gracie I think isn't right. Gracie though might very well have a bigger career than Tara someday. No athlete is perfect and I'm sure its a process to deal with expectations/pressure.

Sylvia
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Springfield, IL local ABC news feature on Gracie Gold ahead of Junior Worlds that also features her twin skater sister, Carly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJgwazj_88

Jammers
02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I like Gracie's mentality. She seems grounded and isn't getting to caught up in the hype.