PDA

View Full Version : New Gracie Gold profile

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

martyross
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
It's a good thing Gracie is already seeing a sports psychologist...:slinkaway

why not? if she needs extra-help in dealing with her competitions... and then, better sooner than later. even because, if she fails 2 or 3 competitions in the future people will start calling her "headcase" and "inconsistent". :rolleyes: i'm not surprised that these kids want that kind of support at such tender age. a skater's life is probably much harder than we think.
btw, i'm a bit puzzled at all the advertising she/her team is making. :confused:

martyross
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM
btw i read she's also a juggler. is there a footage of her juggling by chance? i'm curious.

Sylvia
02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
btw, i'm a bit puzzled at all the advertising she/her team is making. :confused:
I don't think she/her team is directly responsible for the "advertising" (i.e., 3 simultaneously active threads) on FSU?

ETA: There's a big difference between fan-driven hype on the Internet and media-generated hype. IMO, Gold has had, to date, by far more of the former here on FSU than the latter.

btw i read she's also a juggler. is there a footage of her juggling by chance? i'm curious.
Peter Carruthers conducted a short interview with Gold the day after she won and asked her to juggle for him at the end. The video can be watched without an IceNetwork subscription in their video archive (scroll back through January 2012) - it's titled "AT&T ICE Desk - Gold."

DORISPULASKI
02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Cool!

mikemba
02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Vash01;3470392] I have never seen a skater being hyped as much as Gracie is, at this stage of her career. QUOTE]

I think that Tara had close to this much hype, though. And the good news is that she had an incredible ability to handle all types of pressure -- from being heavily hyped as a junior to competing against the beloved Michelle Kwan to doing the 1st triple loop/triple loop to delivering perfectly clean programs when even the slighest of mistakes would have surely cost her the gold. It seemed like pressure made her better -- the more pressure she had, the better she skated.

Although I generally don't like over-hyping young skaters, the little I have seen of Gracie makes me think that she might have a Tara-like ability to thrive under the hype. Although some skaters crumble under the pressure, hopefully Gracie will be one of the ones who use it to her maximum advantage, whether that's an Olympic medal, a senior national title, or whatever personal goals she has.

berthesghost
02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
:huh: tara sure was hyped as junior, and was expected to win everything. Instead she was 2nd at nats and 6th at worlds.

Her first year at nats, she had much less hype and won an almost surprise medal and trip to worlds. The next year she was almost lost in kwans shaddow, yet came from behind and won almost surprise and worlds.

Now hyped as kwan's equal, she all but imploded, skating poorly at SA, losing Lalique to Hubert, bombing the sp at nats and giving a so-so lp.

By olys she was back to underdog status which is where she really seemed to thrive, when all the pressure was off and people were counting her out,that's when she usually delivered.

Vagabond
02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Gee, she hasn't trained a Senior Program so let's send her unprepared.

How, exactly, do you know she hasn't trained one?

According to Jayar, whom I regard as a reliable source:

She already had it choreographed and was ready to compete with it if the call came.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3466406&postcount=191

mikemba
02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
:huh: tara sure was hyped as junior, and was expected to win everything. Instead she was 2nd at nats and 6th at worlds.

Not sure how I rated a :huh:, but that's ok. :)

Our recollections of Tara seem very inconsistent with each other respect to her "imploding" -- she had a very high percentage of times when she delivered perfect 7-for-7 triple jump programs.

More importantly, my point is that Tara was very much hyped when she was a junior to be the next Olympic Champion, and she did indeed accomplish that very lofty and rare goal. So, yes, it's quite possible to be hyped as the next Olympic Champion while still a junior and successfully handle that type of pressure.

DORISPULASKI
02-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Her first year at nats, she had much less hype and won an almost surprise medal and trip to worlds. The next year she was almost lost in kwans shaddow, yet came from behind and won almost surprise and worlds.

Now hyped as kwan's equal, she all but imploded, skating poorly at SA, losing Lalique to Hubert, bombing the sp at nats and giving a so-so lp.

By olys she was back to underdog status which is where she really seemed to thrive, when all the pressure was off and people were counting her out,that's when she usually delivered.

The first year I remember Tara at Nationals it was 1995 in Providence, and she was a new Junior. Her publicist was working full time, and you would have thought from the newspapers and everything else that she was going to wipe the rink with the other juniors. Instead she totally bombed and was beaten by Sydne Vogel of Alaska.

After that, AFAIR, she responded very nicely to pressure.

Dilng
02-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Not sure how I rated a :huh:, but that's ok. :)

Our recollections of Tara seem very inconsistent with each other respect to her "imploding" -- she had a very high percentage of times when she delivered perfect 7-for-7 triple jump programs.

More importantly, my point is that Tara was very much hyped when she was a junior to be the next Olympic Champion, and she did indeed accomplish that very lofty and rare goal. So, yes, it's quite possible to be hyped as the next Olympic Champion while still a junior and successfully handle that type of pressure.

Yeah I have that tape and she didn't implode. She made some errors, but it certainly wasn't imploding. Plus she had the flu even though she didn't use that as an excuse. If Gracie handles pressure like Tara she will definitely be successful. :)

fenway2
02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't remember Tara totally bombing at 95 nationals, not at all. She was beaten by Vogel but totally bombed? And to say all the pressure was off of her in Nagano is absolutely shortsighted and ridiculous. And though I didn't care for her long program at 98 nationals, I do recall Dick Button calling it the performance of her life. So clearly not everyone thought it was so-so. I guess people see what they want to see.

RD
02-06-2012, 07:02 PM
I think it's important to note here that Gracie Gold isn't Tara Lipinski...nor will she ever be.

DORISPULASKI
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
For good or evil, neither Gracie's strengths nor weaknesses are very similar to Tara's.

Vash01
02-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I think that Tara had close to this much hype, though. And the good news is that she had an incredible ability to handle all types of pressure -- from being heavily hyped as a junior to competing against the beloved Michelle Kwan to doing the 1st triple loop/triple loop to delivering perfectly clean programs when even the slighest of mistakes would have surely cost her the gold. It seemed like pressure made her better -- the more pressure she had, the better she skated.

Tara did not add the 3R3R to her program until the 1996-1997 season, and she was already competing at the senior level. The year before, she had the 3S3R, and competing in the seniors at age 13. I had heard of Tara before that too, as a junior but I don't recall the kind of hype Gracie is getting right now. For example: Gracie would crush the Russians, Gracie as good as Midori and Tonya, etc. That is overhyping, and it's way too early in her case to do that. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva got a lot of hype in Russia at a young age and we already know that while they are very good, they are nowhere close to an OGM or world championhip when it comes to performing at the senior level.

Yukari Lepisto
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
The difference is at the time when Tara just started to burst onto the scene, there're so so so many other elite singles Ladies in the US. But right now, US really lacks singles ladies at the very top level for so long that it's unusual for Americans, so they tend to really look for the next possible potential talent, even if she's only at junior level and never competed at seniors.