PDA

View Full Version : New Gracie Gold profile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20

victoriaheidi
03-18-2012, 06:56 AM
I hope she continues to post training videos. I think it's kind of neat to be able to see what she's working on and how things are coming along for her.

:)

Yeah, I mean, when you're training a 3A and a 3-3-3, why not post about it? Not like she's showing us splatfests.

maureenfarone
03-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I saw Gracie's FS at Nationals this year and enjoyed it. Missed the SP because I got to San Jose late. I don't think she is perfect, but I don't think anyone is.

What I enjoy about her is her ice coverage, jumps, competition nerves, and speed. Of course there is always room for improvement and I hope there will be improvement in all areas of her skating. Honestly I am kind of tired of Jr. Ladies who jump about 1/4 inch off the ice, cover only the center of the rink and move with tiny choppy strokes like they are skating through quicksand.

If she chooses to post videos of her practices it will be interesting to see her progress.

Good luck Gracie :)

Sylvia
03-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Golden Skate article (includes quotes from choreographer Scott Brown on goals for Gracie's programs next season): http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/03/gold-lives-up-to-the-hype/

“We will work on creating a balance of the technical elements and continue the presence of art and creative thought,” Brown said. “I will remind her to hear and feel the music so she can skate all the movement from her soul, and then she will be able to connect more with the audience.”

Brown will also focus on helping to make Gold’s new programs more Code of Points friendly.

“We will work to develop more interest in transition both in and out of the elements,” he said. “We’ll also broaden her music scope to find interesting new programs that have not been done in the sport over and over.”

DORISPULASKI
03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
As usual, she sounds realistic about herself

“I’m not going to be the new Michelle Kwan,” Gold pointed out. “She was a senior at 12-years-old, and now she’s in the Hall of Fame. That’s her story. Sasha Cohen was this flexible diva (in a good way), and that’s her story.”

“I’ll have a different story,” Gold continued. “I didn’t do anything big until this year. I won a pewter medal as a novice, which is not too shabby, but I’m just starting to do things. I don’t know what my story is going to be, but I hope it turns out as well as theirs.”

and

“Most of the expectations I sort of ignored because they were sort of irrelevant at the time,” she said. “People were telling me about Sochi and telling me to learn Russian. I was like, slow down. Sochi is still two years away, and though it’s close in terms of time, it is light years away in terms of training.”

Robin Ritoss's photo of Gracie is just gorgeous.

But I'm a bit disappointed that she is sticking with the same choreographer. I can't say the programs he gave her this year were all that and a bag of chips.

demetriosj
03-18-2012, 04:40 PM
IMHO it seems a bit presumptuous of her to be comparing herself to Sasha Cohen, let alone Michelle Kwan, when she hasn't even competed at a senior level competition yet.

victoriaheidi
03-18-2012, 05:06 PM
IMHO it seems a bit presumptuous of her to be comparing herself to Sasha Cohen, let alone Michelle Kwan, when she hasn't even competed at a senior level competition yet.

I don't feel that she's comparing herself to them. I feel like she's trying to explain that, despite the fact that people have dubbed her the next this and that, she's not. She's Gracie.

Nomad
03-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't feel that she's comparing herself to them. I feel like she's trying to explain that, despite the fact that people have dubbed her the next this and that, she's not. She's Gracie.

That's what I got out of it. She's not buying into the hype. I don't see anything wrong with the statement that she hopes to be as successful as Kwan and Cohen. It would be different if she had said something like "I'm going to be a big success like Kwan and Cohen" but she didn't.

RD
03-18-2012, 05:18 PM
^ Exactly. Plus, it may have been in response to a question that mentioned the two of them by name. Again, these articles don't show the questions that led to these responses...

Jenna
03-18-2012, 05:23 PM

:rolleyes:

Please. She wasn't comparing herself to them whatsoever.

For all the success and attention she has received over the past few months, Gracie has been extremely focused, realistic, and humble.

It's clear from your previous posts that you're simply out to get her. :blah:

mag
03-18-2012, 07:02 PM

IMHO this post could be held up as the perfect example of reading what you want read rather than reading for comprehension.

I have only seen Gracie's skates at Nationals and Jr. Worlds. She is a nice skater with, IMHO, lots of potential. Give the kid a break and let her develop. Stop buying trouble.

Coco
03-18-2012, 07:14 PM
As usual, she sounds realistic about herself..
But I'm a bit disappointed that she is sticking with the same choreographer. I can't say the programs he gave her this year were all that and a bag of chips.

Maybe she can get an exhibition program with a different choreographer.

victoriaheidi
03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
And better music! The real problem with that exhibition is that the music just didn't work for her (or for any exhibition, IMO. The only person I could actually see trying and succeeding with that for EX music is Jeremy, and I doubt he'd go for it).

DORISPULASKI
03-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Jeremy in drag doing that exhibition? I don't think so:

Lyrics

I'm just a little girl lost in the moment

I'm so scared but I don't show it

I can't figure it out, it's bringing me down

I know I've got to let it go and just enjoy the show

chipso1
03-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Did you actually read what she said? :rolleyes: She was in no way comparing herself to Michelle or Sasha.

mtnskater
03-19-2012, 04:15 AM
I am really hoping Gracie works with a new choreographer and one of the top ones. Her programs by Brown are way way too busy with gyrating arm movement and airplaning arms.

Gracie needs something more regal.....and simpler...ala Nancy Kerrigan but updated. She also needs help getting down in her knees more.

I love her and want to see her reach her potential in the way Yuna Kim who had such amazing jumps was turned into an artist as she matured.