PDA

View Full Version : New Gracie Gold profile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

mag
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know how tall Gracie is now? That was one thing I was noticing at JW, her icenetwork and isu bio both say she is 5'4", but she is quite a bit taller than Adelina in pictures from the event and Adelina has said on her formspring she is between 160 and 163 cm (5'3" to 5'4"). Judging from that, she looks to be around 5'6", or at least 5'5", which is quite tall to be doing all those 3-3s. I know there was speculation that she had stopped growing, but maybe she hasn't? Not that it's effected her jumps at all, but if she is really well above 5'4" already and grows even a little more, there's a chance it could affect her (although it's worth noting Shelepen and Korobeynikova are in the vicinity of 5'5"-5'6" and are still reeling off 3lz-3t and 3f-3t like it's nothing). ...

Evan is 6'2" and manages just fine. Yes, the female body is different. But the difference is hips and bust. Gracie has a little of both but doesn't look like she will get a lot of either (Gawd, I can't believe I am writing this!)

I guess Gracie didn't get the memo that she may be too tall for 3/3's :rolleyes:

We (the skating world) really need to stop putting barriers up for why skaters can't or shouldn't be able to do what they do. New information and techniques for off ice strength training, and new on ice techniques, like dartfish, to help perfect the physics of lift and rotation are pushing the limits of what the human body can do. Yet, we still seem to come back to the, IMHO, very outdated idea that there is some magical height for female figure skaters.

It is quite possible we don't many tall female figure skaters because kids who grow early and struggle at the early stages are all told over and over that they won't make it because they are too tall! No wonder they give up. Gracie has absolutely no control over how tall she will grow. That was set along time ago.

pinky166
03-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I thought that tall skaters were more prone to injuries such as shin splints and stress fractures and that's why we don't see so many of them? Also for guys it's different, there are lots of tall male skaters nowadays, though recently female skaters seem to be getting taller on average. Gracie will probably be fine, I really just asked because I was surprised by how much taller she was than Adelina, and because, for now, she's reallyy consistent with her jumps, which historically most tall female skaters are not (Phanuef, Gilles, Kostner before she downgraded her content, Korpi, to name a few). I mean it just makes sense because the higher your center of gravity is, the harder it is to keep it in control, making it easier to fall. But Gracie is so strong physically and has narrow hips and proportional leg length to her height so maybe that helps her jump so high/well/consistently. And maybe she is only 5'4", she just looks taller, but then again a lot of skaters look taller than their real heights because in person they are all, for the most part, so SKINNY!

Jot the Dot Dot
03-10-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm just waiting for the first interviewer to say "Say goodnight, Gracie". :D

pinky166
03-10-2012, 09:22 PM

Not gonna happen. Alissa just bombed Challenge Cup so now we'll be hearing a rush of posters saying Gracie should be sent to Worlds instead (I personally don't think it's a bad idea, who cares about her PCS when you've got that kind of technical content and +GOE on jumps?).

Sylvia
03-10-2012, 09:24 PM
You're the only one who's mentioned it so far. Not gonna happen. :P

pinky166
03-10-2012, 09:30 PM
You're the only one who's mentioned it so far. Not gonna happen. :P

Just wait... ;)

martyross
03-10-2012, 10:18 PM

what does this phrase mean?

sk9tingfan
03-10-2012, 10:25 PM
what does this phrase mean?

It refers to the famous George Burns and Gracie Allen signoff on their television program. Actually, I believe the exact words said by George Burns was, "Say goodnight Gracie" to which I believe she would reply, "Goodnight, Gracie".

Vagabond
03-11-2012, 03:42 PM
It refers to the famous George Burns and Gracie Allen signoff on their television program. Actually, I believe the exact words said by George Burns was, "Say goodnight Gracie" to which I believe she would reply, "Goodnight, Gracie".

Actually, she would always say, "Goodnight."

Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, who had their heyday after Burns & Allen would end their shows with Rowan saying, "Goodnight, Dick" and Martin saying, "Goodnight, Dick." Somehow, people have gotten Burns and Allen (http://www.otrcat.com/z/burnsallen2.jpg) confused with Rowan and Martin (http://content.answcdn.com/main/content/img/getty/9/7/2696497.jpg). It's kind of like confusing Gracie Gold with Dick Button. ;)

aftershocks
03-13-2012, 05:30 AM
George also said to his wife and comedy partner: "Say hello, Gracie." Although, "Say goodnight, Gracie" is their trademark.

jlai
03-14-2012, 04:32 AM
I've just rewatched Gracie's LP. The jumps were :eek:. Look at how that 2A flew! But what bugs me about her skating was the lack of soft knees and deeper edges as she skated. A lot of times she looked stiff because she was doing an upper body movement while the skates were on flat or at least not deep edges to "compensate" for the upper body, making the choreographed moves stiff.

Sylvia
03-14-2012, 09:16 PM
"Five favorite things with Gracie Gold": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120312&content_id=27223962&vkey=ice_news

victoriaheidi
03-16-2012, 08:47 PM
More than anything, I love how completely down-to-earth and unconcerned about her own hype Gracie appears! I don't want to name names, but there are some girls who...well, some who've bought into their own hype, IMO. I also love that she seems super-close to her sister. Go GRACIE!

RD
03-16-2012, 09:22 PM
About "buying" or "not buying" into your own hype...sounds like one of those "easier said than done" things.

demetriosj
03-16-2012, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=victoriaheidi;3511726]More than anything, I love how completely down-to-earth and unconcerned about her own hype Gracie appears! I don't want to name names, but there are some girls who...well, some who've bought into their own hype, IMO. QUOTE]

Well, she has created a lot of her own hype by posting every thing she does on YouTube so...