PDA

View Full Version : New Gracie Gold profile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20

VarBar
03-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Sorry but I don't find Adelina any better than Gracie in the exhibition program. Adelina just has a more exciting and sophisticated choreography than Gracie, with a lot of emphasis on attitude and smiling - btw, Gracie should learn to smile too - but other than that, Adelina strikes me as pretty immature and clumsy in expressing the theme in quite a few parts of her number, just like Gracie in hers.

As far as Julia, her movement on the ice doesn't express the lyrics at all I'd say, and it's a wrong choice of music for a 13-year old to begin with.

But I love all the three girls and I am looking forward to seeing how they will grow and develop in future.:)

kwanatic
03-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Sorry but I don't find Adelina any better than Gracie in the exhibition program. Adelina just has a more exciting and sophisticated choreography than Gracie, with a lot of emphasis on attitude and smiling - btw, Gracie should learn to smile too - but other than that, Adelina strikes me as pretty immature and clumsy in expressing the theme in quite a few parts of her number, just like Gracie in hers.

As far as Julia, her movement on the ice doesn't express the lyrics at all I'd say, and it's a wrong choice of music for a 13-year old to begin with.

But I love all the three girls and I am looking forward to seeing how they will grow and develop in future.:)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree b/c I found Adelina's presence, performance and maturity to be lightyears beyond what Gracie did...not at all clumsy or awkward. Obviously Adelina had a better choreographed routine to more mature music, but the attitude and smiling is what helps to convey the music and its theme. I think that's better than just skating through the program with little regard for the tone or feel of the music you're skating to. Facial expressions, attitude, emphasis on parts of the music, sharpness and completion of movement...those are the little things that separate a skater from a performer. Gracie's a great skater but as a performer, she's got work to do.

BUT we all have opinions and perceive things differently. What works for some doesn't work for others and that's just fine. :) I do like Gracie a lot...but, IMO, she's got a ways to go in certain areas of her skating to catch up to her competition. She'll get there though... ;)

However, I do agree that Julia's program had a disconnect from the music. IMO, she often skates on top of the music and I think that has more to do with the choreography than anything. Again, I pray she branches out and finds someone who can utilize her qualities. If she stays with Morosov it will be such a waste...

martyross
03-08-2012, 06:20 PM
After watching her nice ex, i agree with those who say G.G. should use some modern theme and music, suitable for her age, like Harry Potter. no warhorses, tangos, ballet and such, even though the goal is getting good PCS and unfortunately, pretentious things like those are considered "champion-like". while more conservative choices are understandable because in the end they have to please the judges in some way, the undeniable fact is that in many cases the skater ends up looking even more juniorish by using "mature" themes. a very smart choreographer is needed.

demetriosj
03-08-2012, 09:50 PM
very[/B] smart choreographer is needed.

She has three listed!

victoriaheidi
03-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking that her choreographers should really consider HP for a few reasons:

1. If she loves it, she may develop a greater artistic understanding just out of a connection to the score
2. If she really progresses under it, it could become an iconic music choice
3. Even disregarding the two hypotheticals, it's the kind of music that will be universally recognizable to audiences. And she may get widespread attention for being the girl who's skating to Harry Potter.
4. In regards to age-appropriateness, yes 100%. In regards to "championship" material, the score has that, but it just isn't as well-known. I'd rather see her attempt that than, say, Carmen, because I just don't really want to see anyone else's Carmen.

Side note: overall, I've been thinking about good music for her and I keep coming back to film scores. I love Ashley Wagner's film score programs, and there's so much iconic-but not overdone-film music. John Williams, Alexandre Desplat, Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman--they all have brilliant compositions, but most of them aren't overdone (or touched in the first place), and she could find a goldmine (no pun intended) if she just looks for it.

VarBar
03-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree
BUT we all have opinions and perceive things differently. What works for some doesn't work for others and that's just fine. :)

Oh sure, I always keep in mind that my opinions will not necessarily be shared by others.:)

To me, this is a truly mature presentation to Hernado's Hideaway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCIk7LskGqc

But I don't have the arrogance to believe that I'd be holding the absolute truth. Different strokes for different folks.:)

However, I do agree that Julia's program had a disconnect from the music. IMO, she often skates on top of the music and I think that has more to do with the choreography than anything. Again, I pray she branches out and finds someone who can utilize her qualities. If she stays with Morosov it will be such a waste...

I definitely agree with you but I suppose Julia will have no reason to change choreographers so long as she is successful in competition skating to Morozov's material.

kwanatic
03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Oh sure, I always keep in mind that my opinions will not necessarily be shared by others.:)

To me, this is a truly mature presentation to Hernado's Hideaway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCIk7LskGqc

Now there's something we can agree on! :) I really love Sasha's Ex to this piece. It's a lot more jazzy than Adelina's version but I just love it, especially the ending--from the skid spiral to the combo spin and the split at the end. Awesome!

I definitely agree with you but I suppose Julia will have no reason to change choreographers so long as she is successful in competition skating to Morozov's material.

That's what I'm afraid of. If the judges keep rewarding her there will be zero incentive to change anything. Hopefully her coach will suggest she goes to Tat or someone else....just not Morosov, please! Anyone but him!

victoriaheidi
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Which makes me sad. :( I actually like Julia. I feel like, with the proper packaging, she could be one of the top skaters in the world (I like her better than Liza and Adelina). But I do feel like her success will be limited to juniors unless she makes some choreographic adjustments. I don't think senior judges will be super-into the choreo.

martyross
03-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Which makes me sad. :( I actually like Julia. I feel like, with the proper packaging, she could be one of the top skaters in the world (I like her better than Liza and Adelina). But I do feel like her success will be limited to juniors unless she makes some choreographic adjustments. I don't think senior judges will be super-into the choreo.

mmh, if she becomes the #1 Russian, high scores are garanteed in seniors even with so-so choreography. i think that with so many Russian girls the key is the internal ranking, international reputation will follow. it happened with Japanese skaters in the last years. not to mention ice dance.

victoriaheidi
03-10-2012, 12:26 AM
mmh, if she becomes the #1 Russian, high scores are garanteed in seniors even with so-so choreography. i think that with so many Russian girls the key is the internal ranking, international reputation will follow. it happened with Japanese skaters in the last years. not to mention ice dance.

But do you think she will become the #1 Russian?

Sylvia
03-10-2012, 12:32 AM
For those interested, I posted an new interview with Julia Lipnitskaia in the Russian news thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3505440&postcount=569

pinky166
03-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know how tall Gracie is now? That was one thing I was noticing at JW, her icenetwork and isu bio both say she is 5'4", but she is quite a bit taller than Adelina in pictures from the event and Adelina has said on her formspring she is between 160 and 163 cm (5'3" to 5'4"). Judging from that, she looks to be around 5'6", or at least 5'5", which is quite tall to be doing all those 3-3s. I know there was speculation that she had stopped growing, but maybe she hasn't? Not that it's effected her jumps at all, but if she is really well above 5'4" already and grows even a little more, there's a chance it could affect her (although it's worth noting Shelepen and Korobeynikova are in the vicinity of 5'5"-5'6" and are still reeling off 3lz-3t and 3f-3t like it's nothing).

Also, I think HP would be a good music choice for Gracie. She needs a piece of music that will show off her speed and power. In that sense, she reminds me a little of Slutskaya, which makes me think a Maskim Mrvca piece could also be a good choice for her next season's programs. As long as she doesn't skate to techno Nutcracker, Carmen, Scherezade, or Spartacus I will be happy. Although on the topic of ballet music, she maybe could do Firebird justice.

chipso1
03-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know how tall Gracie is now?

How did I not know this was coming? :wall:

Sylvia
03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I believe height shouldn't matter as long as proper jump technique is in place, and so I thought I'd repost the following from another thread (written after she had won the junior title at Nationals):

To the best of my recollection, I cannot recall this kind of hype about a Junior skater, especially one as "unknown" as Gold before this season. Why the hype?

Gold has outstanding jump technique. Her technical understanding of a triple toe as the back-half of a combination is textbook; she is very unusual in her correct timing of the toe-loop takeoff. She relies on timing, clean body positions, and correct use of edges/toe picks to vault herself into the air. She does not rely on quick rotation in the air. She may not have her adult body yet, but she clearly has something of an adult body - and it appears that her adult body, with its muscles and post-pubescent strength - is part of what helped her improve so drastically over the past three years. Technically, she's going to be fine unless she injures herself training a triple Axel. Artistically, she has the building blocks of flow, power, edging, and musical awareness. The rest can taught if she wants to learn - and her personality suggests she's a sponge, not a diva, and will accept both feedback and coaching. Her family is supportive in the best ways.

I think the hype about Gold is much stronger (and a bit out-of-control, honestly) on the internet than in the skating world. I sense a bit of "let's hold our breath" among those who have been on this roller coaster before. That's not to suggest that Gold isn't seen as a phenom; it's to suggest that the thought process is more like "we haven't seen someone like this in two decades and oh please skategods let's not screw this up no one say out loud what we are all thinking lets pretend shes just your typical junior ladies champion."

DORISPULASKI
03-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes. Sort of skate gods don't jinx her now.