PDA

View Full Version : New Gracie Gold profile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Jammers
03-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't know Gracie seems the type who can handle the pressure so i'm not sure if it really mattered if she won or not.

love_skate2011
03-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Congrats to Gracie for medaling at her first junior worlds competition :cheer2:

Will Gracie be the second coming of Yuna
I believe Gracie has never been off the podium in her whole junior and novice competitions and she has the 3rd highest record in over all score for a junior worlds ladies after Julia and Mao ?

Gracie has been the most consistent skater and If she keeps it up, I can see her as the next us star
good looks, superb technique and big jumps, at 16 she can surpass Kwan's achievements

DORISPULASKI
03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
If she's trying to get a 3A for real, she may wish to do so in the JGP format--I'm pretty sure she can still qualify for the JGPF falling on one or two 3A's per event; not so for the GP.

Also she clearly believes she has repackaging work to do on herself--again easier when on the JGP.

And Julia will still be on the JGP; it isn't like there is no competition there.

She appears to be aggressively taking one thing at a time-she was not even counting on getting to go to JR Worlds, given the US's penchant for sending seniors rather than juniors there, and she was not counting on medalling. Maybe she just needs to work on what this next step should be.

love_skate2011
03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
^

but didn't Gracie mention she will move up to senior GP next season ?
also Julia is eligible for GP next season

DORISPULASKI
03-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Having won US juniors, it's customary in the states to skate Senior Nationals the following year. However, I believe USFS asks whether the person wants to skate the JGP (which would be 2 assignments) or take their single guaranteed GP assignment and hope for a second one--which she would probably get. She may be waiting to decide to get USFS to commit that she gets one of the host picks at Skate America.

Jason Brown and Joshua Farris have been skating senior at US Nationals and Junior internationally for 2 years, for example.

love_skate2011
03-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Having won US juniors, it's customary in the states to skate Senior Nationals the following year. However, I believe USFS asks whether the person wants to skate the JGP (which would be 2 assignments) or take their single guaranteed GP assignment and hope for a second one--which she would probably get. She may be waiting to decide to get USFS to commit that she gets one of the host picks at Skate America.

Jason Brown and Joshua Farris have been skating senior at US Nationals and Junior internationally for 2 years, for example.

thanks, I think she should go senior by next season as she has stated
2 more years and it will be the Olympics, it will give her more time and exposure to the judges and she is already being noticed. Gracie will be almost 17 years old that fits well for a good senior debut.

also Agnes after she medaled at Junior Worlds
didn't she went to seniors after and went to GP events ?

floskate
03-04-2012, 09:27 AM
She said in the SP press conference that her dream is to skate in Sochi. While it is good that they are not committing to anything yet, if she's serious about making the Sochi team and doing well there, then she needs the international exposure of the senior GP and to make a run at the senior worlds team for 2013. Either way, the pressure isn't going to disappear anytime soon.

Yukari Lepisto
03-04-2012, 09:37 AM
thanks, I think she should go senior by next season as she has stated
2 more years and it will be the Olympics, it will give her more time and exposure to the judges and she is already being noticed. Gracie will be almost 17 years old that fits well for a good senior debut.

also Agnes after she medaled at Junior Worlds
didn't she went to seniors after and went to GP events ?

Gracie never said that she will skate at senior GP next season.

And yes, Agnes did go to seniors GP after silver at junior worlds.

os168
03-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Congrats to Gracie for medaling at her first junior worlds competition :cheer2:

Will Gracie be the second coming of Yuna
I believe Gracie has never been off the podium in her whole junior and novice competitions and she has the 3rd highest record in over all score for a junior worlds ladies after Julia and Mao ?

Gracie has been the most consistent skater and If she keeps it up, I can see her as the next us star
good looks, superb technique and big jumps, at 16 she can surpass Kwan's achievements

Gracie definitely got star presence, just need more confidence to dominate the ice and take ownership of her own choreography. She seems a bit tentative but at the same time visibly fought through it which are great positives already given this is her world debut. Gracie appears to be a great jumper that's a reminiscent of a young Yuna than other modern skaters of this era. Good speed and power about the ice and I can't help notice her layout approach including 3F3T, 2A+3T, 2A+2T+2T and good transitions etc. follows much of Yuna's FS programs. Her long limb and the way she phrases the choreography with outstretched head express through the whole body - up the long arms then completing the movement up to the finger tips, plus her black version of Yuna's Scheherazade costume (from the front) have all certainly give that impression.

Obviously there are areas to improve, but just give her room and time to improve. She has basic musicality and the beginning of elegance at her young age. She need to know what is pacing herself and punctuate the musical phrasing and interpretation a bit more and take more ownership of program. What she has is very good inward imitation of the champions of the past, but need time to mature and learn to bringing sensitivity and philosophy to define what makes a Gracie Gold program. Great skaters don't mature over night, even the very best, but they are capable of making even the basic choreography looking great and even fantastic.

A very good world debut (consider Julia is on another skating genius planet), but I'd rank Liza above her in the artistry and musicality for the moment. Gracie is physically stronger and once she iron out her weaknesses and boost her technical content she can easily surpass Liza, who is already strong in most of the areas (choreography and physicality aside). Had Liza participated instead of Polina this year, wonder if Gracie would be able to hold on to 2nd, maybe if Liza make big mistakes? Gracie certainly has the right talent, looks and figure already that can sell tickets, could she be the one save US figure skating by bringing the $$$? (Heh let's not pretend the last 2 is not important in this 'sport'.)

demetriosj
03-04-2012, 03:08 PM
at 16 she can surpass Kwan's achievements

I think by age 16 Kwan had accomplished a lot more than Gracie G.!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.......

DORISPULASKI
03-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Kwan did not have to have a 3F3T or a 3Lz3T at 16 to win Worlds, nor did she ever have them. She certainly was not able to do a 3lz3t3t, even in practice. Also Kwan could get away with occasionally having a slight flutz. Gracie can't get away with one, and doesn't have one. And Gracie has more complex spins than Kwan at 16, because COP requires them.
Kwan also was never 5'4" to 5'6" tall (not clear just how tall Gracie is today). Her bio says 163 cm, or approx. 5'4", but she looks taller to me.

But yes, Kwan was a much more accomplished artist than Gracie at 16.

demetriosj
03-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Kwan did not have to have a 3F3T or a 3Lz3T at 16 to win Worlds, nor did she ever have them. She certainly was not able to do a 3lz3t3t, even in practice. Also Kwan could get away with occasionally having a slight flutz. Gracie can't get away with one, and doesn't have one. And Gracie has more complex spins than Kwan at 16, because COP requires them.
Kwan also was never 5'4" to 5'6" tall (not clear just how tall Gracie is today). Her bio says 163 cm, or approx. 5'4", but she looks taller to me.

Talking about Kwan's achievements (titles, etc.) by age 16, not specific jumps and spins.........

& I just don't see what their heights have to do with anything?.....

berthesghost
03-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh. I thought that by "surpass achievements" they meant that at 16 kwan had yet to acquire a rabid über fan base that would rip your heart out of your chest and eat it for daring to suggest she wasn't perfect in every way. That came at 17. :lol:

pinky166
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Talking about Kwan's achievements (titles, etc.) by age 16, not specific jumps and spins.........

& I just don't see what their heights have to do with anything?.....

Kwan's achievements would be harder to achieve in this day and age under COP, when complex spins and 3-3s are basically a requirement to win championships.

Also, it's a known fact that it's harder for a taller/bigger girl to jump. Doing a 3lz-3t is much more impressive when you're 5'5" and 120 lbs versus 4'11" and 80 lbs because the smaller you are, the quicker you can rotate and the lower your center of gravity is, making it easier to control the landing. Kwan was never a tall skater so she didn't have to deal with the challenges associated with having a higher center of gravity like a skater like Gracie or Agnes does. And especially at 15-16, Kwan was still very tiny and had not reached her adult size yet, she was probably closer to Lipnitskaya's size than Gracie's and she still wasn't attempting 3lz-3ts. I don't know the exact height/weight of Gracie, but she isn't some little wisp junior skater out there, she looks quite tall and muscular, and that makes her 3-3s more impressive.

Mayra
03-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Kwan did not have to have a 3F3T or a 3Lz3T at 16 to win Worlds, nor did she ever have them. She certainly was not able to do a 3lz3t3t, even in practice.

Do you mean Jr Worlds? Because the front runner for gold at Senior Worlds doesn't even have a 3lutz in her program, let alone a 3flip/3toe or 3/3/3. She does however have a lovely 3toe/3toe. :)

Kwan could get away with occasionally having a slight flutz. Gracie can't get away with one, and doesn't have one.

Since when can't you get away with flutzing? Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova and Wagner all flutz. Julia just won Jr. Worlds and Wagner who has one of the worst flutzes I've ever seen just won 4CC's.

Gracie has more complex spins than Kwan at 16, because COP requires them.

Meh...It's a moot point to compare two different skaters from two different era's who are not and will not compete against each other.

They are completely different skaters and I think it's ridiculous to compare the two. At 16 they were/are at different stages in their career and competing with different requirements that their era requires/d of them.
JMO