PDA

View Full Version : How is Courtney Hicks doing?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

demetriosj
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Probably a good move.

It would have been awkward now that Wagner is working with Nicks.

Sylvia
04-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Does Ken Congemi still work with Frank Carroll, or is that old news?
AFAIK they haven't team coached together for years.

Here's the April 12 USFS press release: Courtney Hicks Announces Coaching Change (http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=47981&type=media)

Hedwig
04-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Congemi was Bebe Liang's coach, wasn't he?

ETA - just saw it in the article. Yes.

kwanatic
04-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Good to hear she's doing better. I think staying with Nicks full-time might be better for her...she's in desperate of need of some smoothing out. I like the attack in her jumps but Courtney's overall skating was very sloppy and unappealing (to me at least). I would have hoped staying with Nicks may have helped her with her presentation, line, extension, flexibility, etc.

Hopefully with all of the time she's had off with her injury she's been working on other areas of her skating. She's got a lot of talent and drive and that's always a plus for skater. It will be interesting to see how she does next season.

AnnMJensen
04-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Does Ken Congemi still work with Frank Carroll, or is that old news?

Frank went out to Cathedral City to the new rink opened there by the Ice Castle folks. Ken is still at El Segundo rink.

Iceman
04-13-2012, 12:58 AM
I thought Ken left coaching for some other venture. What happenrd with that endeavor?

Marco
04-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Leaving Nicks seems right given Wagner's re-birth under him.

However, god help Hicks' leg line :drama:

demetriosj
04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Is Hicks originally from California?

Sylvia
04-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Is Hicks originally from California?
Her Team USA/IN bio lists her birthplace as Placentia, Calif.

love_skate2011
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Courtney has tested up to Senior in the U.S. so she will enter U.S. qualifying competition (Southwest Pacific Regional/Pacific Coast Sectional) as a Senior. The article didn't mention her international intentions.

that makes sense. she'll be 17 now right .

Sylvia
04-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Hicks will turn 17 in December 2012. My guess is that she is aiming to be considered for the JGP again, but we'll have to wait and see.

ETA: Hicks is currently #30 on the ISU Season Best total scores list (151.91 for winning the JGP in Brisbane & the 10th ranked U.S. lady) and #75 on the Season's Rankings list (250 points for her JGP gold medal), and #81 on the ISU World Standings list (I missed seeing her name earlier).

kwanatic
04-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Has she done enough to get an invite to a senior level GP? I think staying junior is her best bet. At least that will give her a year to ease back into competition and continue to work on her skating...

Jammers
04-13-2012, 10:12 PM
I hope Courtney does skate as a Senior at Nats though. With her and Gracie there it will certainly be exciting.

demetriosj
04-13-2012, 10:58 PM
I hope Courtney does skate as a Senior at Nats though. .

Why would she even consider doing Junior again? She won! Staying in Junior would make no sense.

If she is skating well, I hope she could do Senior Grand Prix,

anyone know if she can?

pinky166
04-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Why would she even consider doing Junior again? She won! Staying in Junior would make no sense.

If she is skating well, I hope she could do Senior Grand Prix,

anyone know if she can?

Highly unlikely. Her SB is not in the top 24, and her WS is very low from only having competed in 2 internationals ever (JW and JGP Brisbane), and with so many other US ladies in contention for GP spots, her only hope really would be a host spot, and I'm sure the USFS will probably give that to another skater who maybe only gets 1 GP to give them a 2nd.