PDA

View Full Version : Skaters who won the Olympic Gold, skating on home ice

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vash01
02-04-2012, 07:14 AM
I am wondering how many skaters (pairs/ice dancers) who won the OGM when the Olympics were held in their country?

Virtue & Moir (2010 Canada) and Sarah Hughes (2002 USA) are the only ones that I can think of. Did Sonja Henie win any of her OGMs in her country?

Some others came close, but I can't think of anyone else that won in their own country.

Some close calls:

Orser (silver):1988 Calgary (Canada)

Dushenays (sp?- Silver): 1992 Albertville (France)

Liz Manley (Silver): 1988 Calgary (Canada)- she was never an OGM favorite though

Michelle Kwan (bronze): 2002 Salt Lake City (USA) came very close to winning the OGM.

Tim Goebel (2002 Bronze) and Wilson-McCall (1988 bronze) were never gold medal contenders.

That makes me wonder-

Will Russia win at least one OGM in 2014 Sochi Olympics, or will their top skaters have to settle for silver medals (or worse)? They cannot win in men or ice dance. They have a chance in pairs and ladies, but V&T can be beaten by S&S, and we don't know yet how good the younger ladies really are.

falling_dance
02-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Madge Syers won the first ladies' singles OGM in London in 1908. Carol Heiss and David Jenkins won the singles gold medals in 1960 at Squaw Valley, California.

Did Sonja Henie win any of her OGMs in her country?

No. Henie won her gold medals at St. Moritz, Lake Placid, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen, respectively.

Vagabond
02-04-2012, 07:37 AM
The only other figure skaters to win Olympic gold medals on home ice were Maxi Herber and Ernst Baier, who won the pairs competition at Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

They are noteworthy for being the first pair to perform side-by-side jumps in competition.

Their respective Wikipedia pages make them sound like a textbook example of why pairs who skate together should not get married. :yikes:

Twilight1
02-04-2012, 02:12 PM
My bet is that we will see a couple gold medals go to Russia in Sochi. IMHO I think ladies and pairs will be Russian gold medalists.

Domshabfan
02-04-2012, 02:56 PM
There is also a team event this year, so added chance for gold for russia

blue_idealist
02-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I agree, ice dance is a total no go, unless for some reason V&M and D&W aren't skating.

Plushenko has an outside chance in mens, but he'll have a hard time getting past Chan.

mia joy
02-05-2012, 01:29 AM
I don't see Plushenko beating Chan, if both clean. He didn't even manage to beat the quadless Lysacek, let alone Chan with his quads and enormous PCS's.

Now the team event is another matter (my God, I even forgot about it until Domshabfan mentioned it...). Russia is very likely to win it.

A.H.Black
02-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Carol Heiss in Squaw Valley in 1960. Not her home area as she was from New York, but it was her home country.

Vash01
02-05-2012, 05:17 AM
My bet is that we will see a couple gold medals go to Russia in Sochi. IMHO I think ladies and pairs will be Russian gold medalists.

Skating Gods, you did not hear this.

Vash01
02-05-2012, 05:20 AM
I don't see Plushenko beating Chan, if both clean. He didn't even manage to beat the quadless Lysacek, let alone Chan with his quads and enormous PCS's.

Now the team event is another matter (my God, I even forgot about it until Domshabfan mentioned it...). Russia is very likely to win it.

That was under a different set of rules- rules that did not give high marks to quads. Plushenko should have had a much bigger lead in the SP over the "quadless" Lysacek. Also I believe there were some politics involved in that, considering that the Olympics were in N.America. After all, FS is a political sport, not just an athletic one.

In any case, I don't see Chan losing ANY competition, including the 2014 Olympics, and Plushenko will be too old to be competitive. It will be a minor miracle if he wins the bronze.

judgejudy27
02-05-2012, 05:32 AM
If Plushenko skated like he did at Europeans in the LP especialy he would have crushed Lysacek in Vancouver.

In any case there is definitely no shot of a clean 30 year old Plushenko coming anywhere close to a clean Chan but there is no shot of a clean anyone coming anywhere near a clean Chan right now. Chan is the 2014 OGM winner, it is just a question of how well he will skate to win it, and how many points he wins by. That doesnt rule him out of being competittive with the others. Takahashi skating like he did this season so far would probably be too much for Plushenko too, but anyone else is game after seeing Plushenko's European performances. He really seems to be tackling COP much better than he did in Vancouver. It is now about pacing and preserving his body, while still training the jump and continuing the hard work he obviously did on his non jump elements since Vancouver.

No chance of gold for Russia in mens or dance in Sochi. A medal would be best case scenario (with a variety of outside chances in both events), and a long shot still in both. The pairs and ladies gold could very well be Russia's but they will need to skate very well to make it happen. If there is a team event Russia has a great shot at winning that.

Sasha'sSpins
02-05-2012, 05:38 AM
If Plushenko skated like he did at Europeans in the LP especialy he would have crushed Lysacek in Vancouver.

In any case there is definitely no shot of a clean 30 year old Plushenko coming anywhere close to a clean Chan but there is no shot of a clean anyone coming anywhere near a clean Chan right now. Chan is the 2014 OGM winner, it is just a question of how well he will skate to win it, and how many points he wins by. That doesnt rule him out of being competittive with the others. Takahashi skating like he did this season so far would probably be too much for Plushenko too, but anyone else is game after seeing Plushenko's European performances. He really seems to be tackling COP much better than he did in Vancouver. It is now about pacing and preserving his body, while still training the jump and continuing the hard work he obviously did on his non jump elements since Vancouver.

But Plushenko didn't skate like he did at Europeans at the Olympics. Lysacek deserved to win and I'm glad he did. Plushenko had zero transitions in his lame routines. I hardly think he deserved to be on the podium at those Games. It's futile to compare skates from one competition to another.

PashaFan
02-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Why?

briancoogaert
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm sure Plushenko will win, he is soooooooooo amazing.
Skating Gods, do you hear this ? :P

briancoogaert
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Why?
Do you want to jinx them all ? ;)