PDA

View Full Version : Ben Gazzara Dies at 81

soxxy
02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
I found his movies directed by John Cassavetes very interesting. He was the original Brick in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Paul Newman got the movie).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/04/movies/ben-gazzara-actor-of-stage-and-screen-dies-at-81.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

RIP

Civic
02-04-2012, 01:02 AM
He was a fine actor and a nice looking man back in the day. I remember him more from the television work he did during the 1970s than from his films. RIP

Grannyfan
02-04-2012, 03:42 AM
He had a good role in Anatomy of a Murder with James Stewart and Lee Remick.

emason
02-04-2012, 03:51 AM
He had a good role in Anatomy of a Murder with James Stewart and Lee Remick.

That's the role that always comes to mind when I think of him.

RIP Mr. Gazzara.

Fergus
02-04-2012, 04:04 AM
OMG, I just pulled his autobiography off the shelf today. :wideeyes:

A truly brilliant actor :( I raise a glass to him........

Karina1974
02-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I can remember seeing An Early Frost on TV in my (very much) younger years. Funny how for some reason I remember that movie, but I had wanted to see it because I had had a "close encounter" with an audio book of Aidan Quinn reading "The Postman Always Rings Twice" and he was in the movie (playng Gazzara's son who had AIDS). I wanted to "put a face to the voice" as it were.

KHenry14
02-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I always remember Ben for his portrayal of the eville business mogul in the crappy Road House He oozed malevolence...and i mean that in a good way!

Karina1974
02-04-2012, 11:04 PM
I always remember Ben for his portrayal of the eville business mogul in the crappy Road House He oozed malevolence...and i mean that in a good way!

Well... that's 2 films of his I've seen. I hated that movie... it started out with a great premise, but then it just got way too violent for my taste - when the one guy ripped the other guy's throat out, that was a bit too much for me. My ex, whose VHS copy was my intro to this film when we watched it one night, used to joke with me when I wanted to watch a movie, but coudn't decide: "we can always watch Road House!"

skatesindreams
02-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Aside from his theatre and film roles, I grew up watching him on "Run For Your Life".
RIP, to a fine actor, and real "presence"