PDA

View Full Version : Local idioms

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Susan1
02-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Our cellar had a poured floor, not a dirt one. We referred to it as the cellar; we never used the word basement. Don't know why, but it was the cellar, not the basement.

ETA: Maybe it has to do with the age of the homes. My hometown, founded in 1654, had mostly older homes - all with cellars. Newer homes, circa 1950s post WWII, had basements, finished or otherwise.

I think of basements as places where you can actually do things - like with an extra bedroom and/or bathroom or a t.v. or pool table or something like that. And a cellar as somplace you store things, where you only go to the cellar to put things away or bring them back up to the main part of the house. ??

Susan1
02-09-2012, 12:50 AM
The pronunciation may be but not the sandwich. It's printed on every jar of Marshmallow Fluff. We called it (in WNY) a fluffer nutter.

Try it on toast -- it doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth and teeth as much!!!!!

Prancer
02-09-2012, 12:54 AM
No, it isn't but from the same wiki entry:Seattle is in the Pacific Northwest, at least it was the last time I was there. :shuffle:

Indeed, but why would Seattle dwellers have the best version of a Midwestern accent? :huh:

And it seems that I grew up in "the area of the United States where the local accent is most similar to General American" (the Illinois part of the Quad Cities). People used to tell me that I should be a radio broadcaster because of my voice, but whenever I hear a recording of it, I think I don't sound "General American" enough -- a bit too flat, or something.

Most Midwesterners hear themselves and are :yikes: at how flat and nasal they sound, but that's actually what makes the accent the easiest on the ears.

Reuven
02-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Sticks - there is another one. Out in the middle of nowhere.

In the NW it's usually the "boonies", or we used to say the "toolies", although we had a discussion in my office about that once, and I'm not sure anyone else had ever used it.

This of course led to my trying to figure it out. Apparently it comes from The word Tules which is bulrush from the Lake Tulare area in California. So, lost in the weeds or out in the middle of nowhere.”New West Overshoe” ‘round heah.

Born and raised in South Eastern Michigan and never heard of "bubbler". We drink from the water or drinking fountain. We also drink "pop", wear "tennis shoes", and play in the "basement". Also, it seems that everyone I have ever known goes "up north" to their "cabin" many times during the year. "Up north" is really anywhere more northern than where you (Michigander) live. Last summer I held a garage sale. A family came and told me they were up north for just a few weeks at their cabin. I live thirty miles north of Detroit, yet this was up north to this family who lived on the Ohio/Michigan border. Their "cabin" was a two story house a mile or so away from my house. Never considered my suburban neighborhood up north! "Cabins" can be any architectural style and can be huge or tiny.that’d be “up Nawth” in my neck of the woods.

A mannerism that’s hard to explain. Usually you’ll hear it from older residents in response to a question, a quick intake of breath whilst saying “yeah."

I think of basements as places where you can actually do things - like with an extra bedroom and/or bathroom or a t.v. or pool table or something like that. And a cellar as somplace you store things, where you only go to the cellar to put things away or bring them back up to the main part of the house. ??Anybody have a root cellar? In NE that was a section of the basement that had a dirt floor and was used to store...wait for it...root veggies, and the rows of mason jars contained preserved foods that had been “put up” for the winter.

Susan1
02-09-2012, 12:55 AM
In NYC, "come with?" means "do you want to come with me (somewhere)?"

Not just NYC! I've heard that on t.v. shows for the last few years. And I will say to the t.v. ".....me".

Alixana
02-09-2012, 12:58 AM
”New West Overshoe” ‘round heah.

that’d be “up Nawth” in my neck of the woods.

Anybody have a root cellar? In NE that was a section of the basement that had a dirt floor and was used to store...wait for it...root veggies, and the rows of mason jars contained preserved foods that had been “put up” for the winter.

That's where my dad stores his homemade wine. He calls it the bodega; my mom calls it the root cellar.

Susan1
02-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Don't know if it's a localism or not, but we use Outer Mongolia.

I'm sorry - I'm commenting separately as I'm reading along - and repeating some of the previous comments - so it someone's mentioned this one already............is that like B.F.E.: Bum F*** Egypt ????? :-0

Side story, my cousin's roommate in college's high school age sister was talking to her mom about someplace "out in the boonies" and she started to say BFE (not the initials), realized who she was talking to, and what she couldn't say, so as she opened her mouth, East Jebip (don't ask me how to spell it - that's how it sounds) came out. So we always call someplace far away East Jebip.

Susan1
02-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Indeed, but why would Seattle dwellers have the best version of a Midwestern accent? :huh:

Most Midwesterners hear themselves and are :yikes: at how flat and nasal they sound, but that's actually what makes the accent the easiest on the ears.

Many, many years ago, I was on the phone with someone in New York and he said I had a midwestern accent (excuse me, a New Yorker saying *I* had an accent?). Anyway, I said Ohio's the only state that doesn't have ANY accent! ha ha ha

znachki
02-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Perhaps by "dictionary pronunciation" in the U.S. znachki means what is called "General American" or "Standard American English" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American) accent? That is, a pronunciation that is distinguished from more regional accents (i.e. Southern, New England, etc.)? Think "generic network news broadcaster" accent.

Yep - no regional accent of any kind. If you pressed the little "pronounciation" button in an online dictionary - that's what we sound like.

Jenny
02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I haven't been to the Pacific Northwest, but I've spent a lot of time all over California, and that's where I find American English the most "generic." Makes sense given the fact that with few exceptions, everyone is from somewhere else, so a common accent and pronunciation evolves.

cruisin
02-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm sorry - I'm commenting separately as I'm reading along - and repeating some of the previous comments - so it someone's mentioned this one already............is that like B.F.E.: Bum F*** Egypt ????? :-0

Side story, my cousin's roommate in college's high school age sister was talking to her mom about someplace "out in the boonies" and she started to say BFE (not the initials), realized who she was talking to, and what she couldn't say, so as she opened her mouth, East Jebip (don't ask me how to spell it - that's how it sounds) came out. So we always call someplace far away East Jebip.

I've heard East Jebib lots of times, along with booies, boons, Outer Mongolia, middle of nowhere, all expressions that are used here.

Many, many years ago, I was on the phone with someone in New York and he said I had a midwestern accent (excuse me, a New Yorker saying *I* had an accent?). Anyway, I said Ohio's the only state that doesn't have ANY accent! ha ha ha

:lol: Anyone who sounds different has an accetn to the one they sound different to :).

I told my husband about this conversation, last night. Busted him bout saying aig for egg and laig for leg. Yet he says bed correctly. The funny thing is that he doesn't hear that he is saying aig any differently from bed.

Badams
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I say laig for leg and aig for egg. Sometimes I feel like here in WNY/ southern tier we are accent mutts. We get a little of the mid western, a little Ontario, a tiny bit rural PA... Although newscasters sound a lot like me too, so maybe we aren't so bad.

Aceon6
02-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I haven't been to the Pacific Northwest, but I've spent a lot of time all over California, and that's where I find American English the most "generic." Makes sense given the fact that with few exceptions, everyone is from somewhere else, so a common accent and pronunciation evolves.

We joke that folks from central CT get neutral accents, too - Boston and NYC cancel each other out.

cruisin
02-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I say laig for leg and aig for egg. Sometimes I feel like here in WNY/ southern tier we are accent mutts. We get a little of the mid western, a little Ontario, a tiny bit rural PA... Although newscasters sound a lot like me too, so maybe we aren't so bad.

It's not bad, I just like to tease my husband :lol:

When I'm around a very strong NY/LI accent, I do pick it up. But, I usually sound more mid-west/newscaster.

Nan
02-09-2012, 03:20 PM
If you were to go out to see "Star Wars: Episode 1," would you say you were going to see a movie or a show? Those born and raised in southern Illinois all seem to say "show," while the transplants say "movie."