PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Robbery: On which year was Meryl Streep most robbed?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Beefcake
02-03-2012, 08:43 PM
We've discussed Meryl Streep and the Oscar love (17 nominations + this year's TBD) and snubbing (2 wins) she's had over some 23 years. So, I thought I'd write a poll that asks "in which year was Meryl most robbed?"

Since I have a feeling one or two options will dominate, please select two or three .. better to :watch: stir the discussion. I've had to cram three into "Other" due to the 12-maximum restraint for FSU polls.

Feel free to bring up non-nominated roles in which Meryl should've won/been nominated.

Reminder, Streep's wins were:
** 1980: (Supporting) Kramer V Kramer
** 1983: Sophie's Choice
Yes, it's been 19 damned years since America's greatest actress has won an Oscar!

duane
02-03-2012, 08:56 PM
1988 - A Cry In The Dark

On the witness stand:
"We're talking about my baby daughter. NOT SOME OBJECT!"

Chills!

Beefcake
02-03-2012, 09:02 PM
"Other" ...

i.e. three of the least likely, in Beefy's infinite wisdom, to get votes. Or, rather, make that past tense -- "believed" -- as duane has already bamboozled me. Besides, duane, :P the line most of us remember from that movie is far more Mel Brooksian than Oscarsian.

2007-The Devil Wears Prada (H. Mirren, The Queen)
1996-The Bridges of Madison County (S. Sarandon, Dead Man Walking)
1989-Cry in the Dark (J. Foster, The Accused)

Fergus
02-03-2012, 09:04 PM
"TFL'sW"!!! :swoon: Now, of course I love me some Kate Hepburn ("The loons! The loons, you old poop!"), but Streep shoulda won that year, IMHO.

LOVE the poll, Beefstud. ;) Just an itty-bitty correction: 1978 was a Best Supporting Actress loss to Maggie Smith for "California Suite", Jane won Best Actress. Mary Louise Streep took BSA in '79 for "Kramer vs. Kramer".

Beefcake
02-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Gah, I knew it didn't sound right. Meryl disappears for an hour in Deer Hunter ... had to be Supporting. But after 20 minutes of back and forth on Wiki, my eyes were crossed by the time I got to the end ... which was - yes - 1979's winners lists. I'll ask Admin to correct.

Until the change is made, the 1979 option should read:

1979-The Deer Hunter (M. Smith, California Suite)

soxxy
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
1989 - A Cry in the Dark

She's often asked her favorite role and won't say, but was pressed and mentioned this one.

Fergus
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
^ You're lucky it was just crossed-eyes. When I finished watching "The Deer Hunter" I was depressed AND drunk. :shuffle:

Bostonfan
02-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I picked Silkwood. But I think The Devil Wears Prada was a deliciously nuanced performance that in the hands of a lesser actress would have been a 2-dimensional caricature.

soxxy
02-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I picked Silkwood. But I think The Devil Wears Prada was a deliciously nuanced performance that in the hands of a lesser actress would have been a 2-dimensional caricature.

I have the 'Prada' DVD and have listened to the commentary by the director, writer and costume desginer Patricia Field. The screenwriter, delighted, said that Meryl asked for changes and lines that would add more depth to the character. Miranda is bare-bones in the book.

ETA: Streep is a guest on Mike Huckabee's (!) FOX show this weekend.

Jenny
02-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I chose Julie and Julia because I thought the performance had so much depth beyond the funny side of it, and she was so good that before long I had trouble picturing the real Julia.

However, I recently saw The Blind Side, and Sandra Bullock was really good. Not as great as Meryl, but a worthy performance nonetheless.

My other favourite by far is Miranda Priestly. I've seen The Devil Wears Prada a dozen times - IMO it's a very well crafted movie on all fronts - but it's her performance at the centre of it all that makes it. We've seen Meryl pull of so many personas over the years, but making it totally believable that she was the most powerful woman in fashion was quite a feat. The speech she gives about the blue sweater is absolutely classic.

Beefcake
02-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I'd go with One True Thing, since Paltrow is cringeworthy in anything that isn't a small supporting and/or self effacing role, but the presence of Cate is a problem there. So, alas, I cannot.

This is tougher when you dissect things more.

I'll go with Out of Africa, even though I didn't see The Trip to Bountiful until a couple of years after and was probably drinking. I remember falling asleep during it, though. Was Geraldine's win a "career achievement/pandering Oscar"?

Jimena
02-03-2012, 09:21 PM
2007-The Devil Wears Prada (H. Mirren, The Queen)
1996-The Bridges of Madison County (S. Sarandon, Dead Man Walking)
1989-Cry in the Dark (J. Foster, The Silence of the Lambs)

I liked Helen Mirren in The Queen and Susan Sarandon in Dead Man Walking- one of my favorites. But in 1989 I would've given it to Glenn Close for Dangerous Liaisons. I thought she was robbed.

I would've definitely given it to Streep for Julie and Julia. I thought she was great. I couldn't believe they gave it to Sandra Bullock.

Rob
02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I didn't see Julia & Julia so I can't say Streep :wuzrobbed , but I did see Blind Side so I gotta think someone :wuzrobbed I wouldn't have given it to Bullock.

Jenny
02-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I have the 'Prada' DVD and have listened to the commentary by the director, writer and costume desginer Patricia Field. The screenwriter, delighted, said that Meryl asked for changes and lines that would add more depth to the character. Miranda is bare-bones in the book.

I can believe it - I have heard that the hairstyle was also her idea.

Alixana
02-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I would like to pick Silkwood but then I think Shirley MacLaine was equally good in Terms of Endearment. And 1999 .. Gwyneth Paltrow a winner in comparison with Meryl and Cate? I still don't think so.