PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Robbery: On which year was Meryl Streep most robbed?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Jenny
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Close was so good in Liaisons. One of my favorite films ... well, except for John Malkovich. Who won the Oscar that year?

I thought Malkovich was excellent in that role! He fell into the mannerisms, costuming and sets of the day so easily, and seemed to relish every line. A truly great performance IMO.

Close was also exquisite - I never get tired of that movie!

emason
02-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I thought Malkovich was excellent in that role! He fell into the mannerisms, costuming and sets of the day so easily, and seemed to relish every line. A truly great performance IMO.

Close was also exquisite - I never get tired of that movie!

I agree about Malkovich; I know a lot of people think he was miscast in that, but I loved him and thought he brought just the right amount of menace skulking down those dark corridors with a candelabra in his hand. I found it very atmospheric and right on.

masofs
02-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I wonder why Meryl was never nominated for She-Devil and Death Becomes Her. :D :slinkaway

I love her in Death Becomes Her also. That one is underrated. Meryl is so hilarious in that. :lol:

Vash01
02-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I even liked her in Mama Mia. She can handle any kind of role. However, it was obvious that she was a solid contender for Doubt that year.

Beefcake
02-04-2012, 07:12 PM
I agree. Streep's performance in The Hours certainly deserved a nomination that year, whereas Kidman's did not. Julianne Moore was robbed of the win in lead actress that year for Far From Heaven.
Big.
Red.
X

Julianne was perfection in that role. Perfection as a 50s woman dealing with her husband's homosexuality and awakening to other things in the world around her, like racism.

But, alas it was just an incredible, subtle story. No fake nose or disability/disease + no suicide scene = no chance for Oscar.

Vash01
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I agree. Streep's performance in The Hours certainly deserved a nomination that year, whereas Kidman's did not. Julianne Moore was robbed of the win in lead actress that year for Far From Heaven.

ITA about Moore.

It bothers me when actors/actresses get nominated just for -1) putting on a fake nose, etc., 2) gaining weight/choosing to be ugly for the role, 3)missed out in previous years due to unfair judging/voting.

The actual acting has to be rewarded over fake anything, including gaining/losing weight. I see that as part of the makeup/costume, and should not be a factor in the best actor award.

AliasJohnDoe
02-04-2012, 07:58 PM
1986-Out of Africa (G. Page, The Trip to Bountiful)

I believe this was 1985:
Anne Bancroft, Agnes of God
Whoopi Goldberg, The Color Purple
Jessica Lange, Sweet Dreams
Geraldine Page, The Trip to Bountiful
Meryl Streep, Out of Africa

I would have had Whoopi Goldberg winning for "The Color Purple", but I definitely thought Whoopi or Meryl should have won over Geraldine Page.

KHenry14
02-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I voted for Julie & Julia, because I just can't get over how much Meryl immersed herself in that role. Now when I see the real Julia on TV I keep thinking that it's an actress sending up Meryl's performance...it was that good!

And while Sandy Bullock's role, also of a real person was good, I could see other actresses doing that role, whereas I can't imagine any other actress doing what Meryl did.

Jimena
02-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Well, I liked Nicole Kidman in The Hours. A lot.

There's something about Julianne Moore that I don't like. She has some mannerisms and inflections that I find repetitive and fake.

Vagabond
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Well, I liked Nicole Kidman in The Hours. A lot.

Me too. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z3Cf8eqc90&feature=related) is the scene from the film that sticks in my mind.

danceronice
02-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Math is hard. :shuffle:

Not the math, you're just in deep denial it could possibly have been THAT LONG. (I mean, I was like Really? Not since then? Like, not since I was in nursery school?)

Japanfan
02-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Big.
Red.
X

Julianne was perfection in that role. Perfection as a 50s woman dealing with her husband's homosexuality and awakening to other things in the world around her, like racism.

But, alas it was just an incredible, subtle story. No fake nose or disability/disease + no suicide scene = no chance for Oscar.

ITA. That was Moore's best performance every - the nuances were amazing, particularly her body language and demeanous, which perfectly captured both her character and the times.

Seerek
02-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Furthermore, Julianne was nominated for lead actress for "Far From Heaven" in 2002, which was also set in the 1950s - so that makes 2 films in the same year where Moore got nominated portraying a character from the same era (although she does advance in time later on in "The Hours")

VIETgrlTerifa
02-05-2012, 05:38 AM
^ I think it should have helped her because though her characters were vastly different and she did a brilliant job in both. I don't think Moore has ever topped herself since Far From Heaven. I remember her receiving the most accolades by far from the critics and it's a shame she ended up losing to Kidman who donned a fake nose and was riding the wave of post-Tom Cruise sympathy (oh and some thought she was robbed for Moulin Rouge which is so whatever. Moulin Rouge wasn't even Kidman's best performance that year. She was better in The Others).

duane
02-05-2012, 06:45 AM
I didn't see The Hours, but even if Kidman didn't deserve the nomination/win I don't care because she was so robbed of not being nominated--and winning--for To Die For.