PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Robbery: On which year was Meryl Streep most robbed?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

emason
02-04-2012, 03:28 AM
Has anyone lost more times than Meryl?

I don't know if she lost more than Meryl, but I believe Deborah Kerr holds the record for woman with most nominations and NO win. (Man who holds that record is Richard Burton IIRC.)

PS I'd give it to MS for Julie and Julia; I thought she was phenomenal in that.

overedge
02-04-2012, 03:36 AM
I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow should have won for Shakespeare in Love, but I don't think Streep should have won that year either. I think Streep has won when she has been truly phenomenal, and in other years she seems to have been nominated just because she is Streep.

Aussie Willy
02-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Without commenting on what Meryl should have won, I just want to say what a wonderful actress she is.

In Australia we were very impressed with Meryl's Aussie accent in Evil Angels (or Cry in the Dark as it was publicised in the US). It is a really hard accent for anyone not Australian to get. The only ones who I think have done it well were Meryl and Robert Downey Jnr.

orbitz
02-04-2012, 04:16 AM
She was great in The Manchurian Candidate. A lot of her losses are for excellent performances but I don't think she really deserved to win for a lot of the losses over other losers. Like Glenn Close for Dangerous Liaisons or Elizabeth Shue or Sharon Stone in 1995.

Close was so good in Liaisons. One of my favorite films ... well, except for John Malkovich. Who won the Oscar that year?

caseyedwards
02-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Close was so good in Liaisons. One of my favorite films ... well, except for John Malkovich. Who won the Oscar that year?

It was Jodie Foster for the Accused. There was also Streep, Sigourney Weaver-Gorillas in the Mist, Melanie Griffith-Working Girl and Close.

Seerek
02-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Not sure if this applies, but interestingly, I could have totally seen a 2002 combo Streep nomination for "Adaptation" supporting and "The Hours" lead, but I guess they figured to push their efforts towards "Adaptation" supporting and give the supporting nod for "The Hours" to Julianne Moore and the lead to Nicole Kidman instead...

Allen
02-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Not sure if this applies, but interestingly, I could have totally seen a 2002 combo Streep nomination for "Adaptation" supporting and "The Hours" lead, but I guess they figured to push their efforts towards "Adaptation" supporting and give the supporting nod for "The Hours" to Julianne Moore and the lead to Nicole Kidman instead...

I agree. Streep's performance in The Hours certainly deserved a nomination that year, whereas Kidman's did not. Julianne Moore was robbed of the win in lead actress that year for Far From Heaven.

BigB08822
02-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Kidman won because of a damn fake nose. Seriously, I am convinced that she won because she "transformed" into Virginia Wolfe except that the majority of the transformation was a prosthetic nose. Streep was amazing in her scenes, especially with her ex who was dying of AIDS. The Hours is my favorite movie of all time, I have seen it countless times. People think it is horribly boring (and I actually see why they would think so) but it just pulls me in, the dialogue is just perfect.

my little pony
02-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Kidman won because of a damn fake nose. .

i thought she won because tom cruise left her

which seems like enough of a prize on its own

BigB08822
02-04-2012, 06:40 AM

:rofl:

VIETgrlTerifa
02-04-2012, 07:02 AM
I need to watch The Hours again because I remember it being wooden and pretentious. I do think I was coming off an anti-Kidman thing though which is funny because I seriously like her now thanks to Dogville (which I didn't think was all that), Fur, and Rabbit Hole. I think I'm almost a fan.

Allen
02-04-2012, 07:34 AM
I need to watch The Hours again because I remember it being wooden and pretentious. I do think I was coming off an anti-Kidman thing though which is funny because I seriously like her now thanks to Dogville (which I didn't think was all that), Fur, and Rabbit Hole. I think I'm almost a fan.

I'm in the same boat about Kidman, I loved her in Dogville, To Die For, and Rabbit Hole despite almost not seeing those films because she was starring. I didn't like her very much in The Hours or Moulin Rogue.

Allen
02-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Yeah, the pressure of being Cruise's beard had to weigh heavily on her...

Aussie Willy
02-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I wonder why Meryl was never nominated for She-Devil and Death Becomes Her. :D :slinkaway

masofs
02-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Adaptation and Silkwood. Her role in Adaptation is one of my favorites ever and while I love Debra Winger and Shirley MacLaine in Terms of Endearment, I still prefer Meryl in Silkwood.

Her role in A Cry in The Dark is one of my favorites too but Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons is my favorite that year.

I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow should have won for Shakespeare in Love, but I don't think Streep should have won that year either. I think Streep has won when she has been truly phenomenal, and in other years she seems to have been nominated just because she is Streep.

ITA. Fernanda Montenegro was my favorite that year. I'm a big fan of Meryl Streep but I agree that sometimes it seems that she is nominated only because she is Meryl Streep.