PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Robbery: On which year was Meryl Streep most robbed?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Artemis@BC
02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Well, as I've said before, she's pretty much perfect in everything she does, so she "deserved" a statue for pretty every one of those performances. So then the "most robbed" has to go to those times when the actual winner was least deserving, rather than when Streep was most deserving. That that has to be last year with Bullock winning. True, it's the most recent so freshest in my mind ... but I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Second pick would probably be Silkwood vs. Shirley Maclain/Terms of Endearment. Maclain was fine, but it was Hollywood schlock heartstring-pulling stuff, nothing really earth-shattering.

For most of the others, Streep was superb ... but then so were the actual winners -- Mirren, Sarandon, Winslet (who herself had been robbed before), Bates, Hepburn, Cher ... even Paltrow!

Allen
02-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not even going to waste my time discussing Bullock because she was the least deserving of all 5 nominees that year.

For me, it was for Adaptation where she was most robbed. Catherine Zeta-Jones was great as Velma in Chicago, but Streep's performance in Adaptation was sublime and I think perhaps the best supporting actress performance of the early part of the 2000s.

Rex
02-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I think she got the ones that she deserved.

Fergus
02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Was Geraldine's win a "career achievement/pandering Oscar"?

IMHO, yup.

She was brilliant in "Bountiful", as usual, but it was in her early 1960s prime with back to back "Summer & Smoke" and "Sweet Bird of Youth" noms when she shoulda won it (though 'twas against some MAJOR competition!). :)

BigB08822
02-03-2012, 10:49 PM
This topic makes me sad.

:wuzrobbed

I don't know which year she was most robbed because I don't remember all of the competition nor have I seen all of the other movies but I think it was a shame she never won for Adaptation. That movie and that role was amazing and I think still under-appreciated to this day.

danceronice
02-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Reminder, Streep's wins were:
** 1980: (Supporting) Kramer V Kramer
** 1983: Sophie's Choice
Yes, it's been 19 damned years since America's greatest actress has won an Oscar!

No, hon, it's been TWENTY-NINE years.

Vash01
02-03-2012, 11:02 PM
I picked several, and some that were not listed(*).

Out of Africa- could be my most favorite Meryl movie
Adaptation (definitely wuzrobbed)
A cry in the dark*
Silkwood
One true thing (it was a pity that Paltrow won it)
The devil wears prada *
Julie and Julia (Meryl was the only one that kept me awake in parts of the movie; the rest put me to sleep)

I did not see Postcards from the edge and Ironweed.

I was surprised that she was not even nominated for the Hillary Clinton-like role (played by Angela Lansbury in the past): I am forgetting the movie title- need help.

No complaints about Winslett's win over Doubt, although Streep was good enough to win the SAG for that role.

No complaints about Music of the heart not winning. The movie was a box office failure.

danceronice
02-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I was surprised that she was not even nominated for the Hillary Clinton-like role (played by Angela Lansbury in the past): I am forgetting the movie title- need help.

The Manchurian Candidate?

caseyedwards
02-03-2012, 11:16 PM
She was great in The Manchurian Candidate. A lot of her losses are for excellent performances but I don't think she really deserved to win for a lot of the losses over other losers. Like Glenn Close for Dangerous Liaisons or Elizabeth Shue or Sharon Stone in 1995.

Artemis@BC
02-03-2012, 11:18 PM

The Manchurian Candidate? I don't remember much about the 2004 version of the film, but I honestly forgot that Streep was even in it. So again, if the film is not terribly well received, its actors are less likely are going to be nominated. But maybe others liked it more. I thought it paled by comparison to the Sinatra version.

Frankly I'm surprised Streep was nominated for One True Thing -- not because she was anything less than her usual wonderful self, but I thought the movie was cookie-cutter and instantly forgettable. (That might have had something to do with a certain Ms. Zellwegger of course ...) I'm not normally a big Paltrow fan, but I did think she was great in SiL, and that movie at the time was more of an "Oscar" movie. So I'm not crying foul on that one.

Vash01
02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
The Manchurian Candidate?

That's the one. Since I had not seen the old version with Lansbury, I thought it was a good movie, though not great. I thought Streep was great in it, so it came as a shock that she was not even nominated.

caseyedwards
02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I think her nomination for One True Thing made more sense than her nomination for Music of the Heart! Streep + Cancer was a good shot with the academy- and the move was seen as much better than Sarandon's Stepmom which may have helped Streep in a way.

Beefcake
02-03-2012, 11:30 PM
No, hon, it's been TWENTY-NINE years.
Math is hard. :shuffle:

VIETgrlTerifa
02-04-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm torn between Streep in Julie and Julia and Streep in Adaptation.

Her performance in Adaptation was one of the best performances of the 2000s and I absolutely loved the film. That said, CZJ was wonderful in Chicago even if it wasn't up to Streep's standards (though I would have given the Oscar to Emily Mortimer in Lovely and Amazing had she been nominated).

My vote for Julie and Julia was due to it being a pretty ho-hum year with Bullock winning for a performance that was far from impressive and not even nomination-worthy. Talk about lack of subtlety, depth, and simple-mindedness. I'm talking both of Bullock's performance and that hack of a film. I think it's one of those things that even the Bullock knew she didn't deserve which would explain her whole demeanor that night (well I'm sure it was really the fact that her husband was cheating on her and knowing the story was going to break out the next day).

Allskate
02-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Has anyone lost more times than Meryl?