PDA

View Full Version : The Voice - S2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

taf2002
03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Sarah at least had an opportunity to showcase her talent on the Voice. She'd never have made it past the producers on AI much less make it to the judges.

I don't know about that. After all, Clay Aiken made it past the producers.

skatesindreams
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
^^^
This!

Jamar was great.
How could you not like Jamie after his reaction to Jamar's success.
There's always at least one "redemption" story on these programs; that's fine, as long as the person can back it up with their talent.

genevieve
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
From the first battle rounds last season, I viewed them as a chance for the mentors to get rid of anyone if they were having second thoughts.
That's how it should be, but it's more often the chance to get rid of people they had no intention of keeping from the get go (like sorority country girl last week). Xtina does truly have a jam-packed team though - very few fillers so far.

I will admit though - as fans, we complain when a song choice is so clearly weighted to one singer's style than the other, but then it sucks when two who excel in the same style go head to head so early. And everybody loses when the song doesn't suit either of them (thanks Cee-Lo....)!

Beefcake
03-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Geoff / Sera: Thoroughly enjoyed that. Still, Sera by a mile for her stage presence. Team Xtina is looking :kickass: at this point.

Charlotte / Lex: Agree with some of y'all. Limp duet. I remain FAR less impressed with Charlotte than the judges appear to be.

Juliette / Sarah: Not a fan of Juliet -- voice or personality. Hopefully, Sarah's "despite my looks" stuff is just producer obsession, because she's got talent and isn't bad looking. Ala Lex, Sandwich Boy and Lee, Sarah was 100% coaches' fodder. Unfortunate that she couldn't have been given a better match-up or fitting song. :(

Kim / Whitney: genevieve called it -- Adam stacked the deck for Kim here. And I :swoon: that she nailed it. Yay 50!!! Go Kim!!!

Lee / Lindsey: I thought that this was a trainwreck after the first listening, but found it so intriguing that I replayed it. And then I loved it! :lol: The nuance, the mystique of it all, the moodiness. And, importantly, some excellent vocal styling by both singers. But I agree that Lindsey deserved to go forward. She is a definite title contender. Team Xtina grows stronger, still! :kickass:

Jamar / Jamie: Jamie :scream:

taf2002
03-13-2012, 05:16 PM
My one problem with Kim...her age. Is there room in the music business for someone who is starting at age 50? What demographic is going to buy her music? While I think she has a powerful voice, I don't really see anything unique about her sound. IMO Whitney is so much more marketable.

skatesindreams
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
My one problem with Kim...her age. Is there room in the music business for someone who is starting at age 50?

That's one of the best things about "The Voice".
It gives an opportunity to someone who usually wouldn't be seen as "marketable".

genevieve
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
My one problem with Kim...her age. Is there room in the music business for someone who is starting at age 50?

Sharon Jones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Jones_(singer)) says yes.

(BTW, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are :kickass: )

Aceon6
03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
My one problem with Kim...her age. Is there room in the music business for someone who is starting at age 50? What demographic is going to buy her music? While I think she has a powerful voice, I don't really see anything unique about her sound. IMO Whitney is so much more marketable.

Next to the tween/teen market, the next largest demographic for music purchases is the over 50s. And they buy physical CDs with a higher profit margin!

I would imagine someone like Kim is looking to book more steady work as were most of the older contestants last season. None of them had delusions of being the next big thing, they just wanted to be able to afford health insurance.

masofs
03-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Sharon Jones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Jones_(singer)) says yes.

(BTW, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are :kickass: )

I love Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, so much soul and feeling. :)

Jimena
03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
I just found out that Carson Daly is blogging (http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/13/carson-daly-voice-blog-battle-rounds-2/) about The Voice on ew.com. I was actually surprised that I liked it!

Some snippets:

What I can tell you that you didn’t see on the show is that Kim had laryngitis and she couldn’t even sing in most of the rehearsals. We didn’t know until the day of that battle whether or not she was going to be able to sing at all on stage.

What you have to know about that – a little behind the scenes stuff here – is that Jamie, from Chicago, has never even been away from home, and he’s never performed outside of that sandwich shop. So The Voice is a really big opportunity for him, not just professionally but personally, too. Jamar took Jamie completely under his wing.

ryanbfan
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
My brother is friends with Whitney. He was over one night for dinner and we happened to have this on and he was so pleasantly surprised to see her on TV... he said she does a lot of shows and what not. We were all excited for her :(

Cheylana
03-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Some snippets:
What you have to know about that – a little behind the scenes stuff here – is that Jamie, from Chicago, has never even been away from home, and he’s never performed outside of that sandwich shop. So The Voice is a really big opportunity for him, not just professionally but personally, too. Jamar took Jamie completely under his wing.
Aww, how heartwarming! :)

skatesindreams
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Just wow!
No wonder Jamie was so emotional.

Allskate
03-14-2012, 05:03 AM
I don't know about that. After all, Clay Aiken made it past the producers.

Yeah, but he was cast as the sweet Southern Christian boy with the skinny body and big voice and he was in the closet. I think there is a difference between Idol and The Voice, not just with the producers, but with some of the audience. I think Creighton would have been treated differently on The Voice than on Idol. Has Idol yet had someone out of the closet in the top 12?

Just wow!
No wonder Jamie was so emotional.

And nervous! I can't imagine going from singing in a small sandwhich shop to singing in front of tens of millions on national tv. Hopefully he'll now get to perform elsewhere and get the training and experience he needs. I do think he has quite a bit of natural talent.

RockTheTassel
03-14-2012, 09:56 AM
What you have to know about that a little behind the scenes stuff here is that Jamie, from Chicago, has never even been away from home, and hes never performed outside of that sandwich shop. So The Voice is a really big opportunity for him, not just professionally but personally, too. Jamar took Jamie completely under his wing.

That kind of explains the nerves then. I think he was extremely intimidated by Jamar. Too bad because I really liked his blind audition.