PDA

View Full Version : The Voice - S2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

my little pony
03-13-2012, 03:15 AM
ita that the song choices pre determine the winner in many cases

i preferred geoff.
lex is too uncomfortable singing in public or something, charlotte had to go through but she's annoying
i preferred sarah
i think i preferred whitney but not by much
i love heart shaped box, i would hate to see either leave
i love jamie but that was never going to be his song

taf2002
03-13-2012, 03:54 AM
One thing this episode proved....Ceelo has a monstrous fabulous voice. But then I already knew that.

moebius
03-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Did I hear Juliet says that she thinks she's 'prettier' than Sarah??? What an egotistical bitch! I ain't voting for her and Charlotte. Both are annoying bitches.

Kruss
03-13-2012, 04:18 AM
Did I hear Juliet says that she thinks she's 'prettier' than Sarah??? What an egotistical bitch! I ain't voting for her and Charlotte. Both are annoying bitches.

That's what I thought at first, but I think she may have said "grittier", referring to her style of singing and the original recording of the song.

my little pony
03-13-2012, 04:27 AM
That's what I thought at first, but I think she may have said "grittier", referring to her style of singing and the original recording of the song.

at first i thought she said prettier but then i decided on grittier too

Allskate
03-13-2012, 05:08 AM
Geoff v. Sera -- I would have gone for Sera, too. Geoff seemed more about volume and I preferred Sera's tone and performance.

Charlotte v. Lex -- Weird song choice for those too. I didn't care for either of their auditions, so I didn't care who won. Charlotte came across as really annoying to me, but I prferred her singing.

Sara v. Juliette -- I didn't like that match-up. It didn't make a lot of sense. The song didn't make sense for Sarah. I wasn't surprised that CeeLo went for Juliet because she's got a bolder personality and style. I think he knew from the beginning that he was going with Juliette. I didn't care much who won, but probably would have gone with Sarah, who seemed to pretty much hold her own with a song and style that was not made for her. Juliette definitely said "grittier," not "prettier."

Kim v. Whitney -- I was sad to see Whitney go, but I can see why Adam chose Kim.

Lee v. Lindsay -- I really wish Xtina had not paired them together. I wanted both of them to get through the battle rounds, but I think Xtina saw him as pure fodder from the beginning and not her taste at all. Bummer. I preferred him, but I can see why others would prefer her. I really hope he can get a singing career out of this somehow.

Jamar v. Jamie -- Why would CeeLo put these two up against each other? They're two of his best singers. Couldn't he have put one of them up against the farm brothers and the other up against the Boston kid? Jamie did have some problems with the upper end of his range, but I really like his tone. I prefer Jamie generally, but based on this performance, I can see why Jamar won.

genevieve
03-13-2012, 05:49 AM
ugh, I hate having to wait 3 hours to read and post! :drama:

this was a mostly great episode, but they should have switched the first and last duets...although Xtina's duet was the finale last week and it wouldn't do to have her close the show 2 weeks running.

Team Xtina - Geoff vs. Sera, Chain of Fools
DAMN :wall: :wuzrobbed: right off the bat I'm going to be depressed over losing one of these two. Loved Lionel Richie's expression upon hearing Geoff sing :lol: I thought Geoff had the edge, but after the Anthony v. Jesse battle no way was Xtina picking another older R&B male singer.

Team Blake - Charlotte vs Lex, Pumped Up Kicks
In the audition, I thought Charlotte Sometimes was way too boring and lacking in personality for her name. Turns out she does have a personality - and it's AWFUL. But I was convinced that she would run away with this because of Lex's stage fright. Then Lex came out, and minus one note at the beginning, absolutely kilt it. Seriously - she has a fantastic look, a great and interesting voice, and Charlotte basically threw one tacky trick after another into her performance......and was sent through. As with the country girls last week, Blake knew who he was sending through and wasn't going to let something trifling like the performance in front of him change it :blah: SO MAD. :blah:

I couldn't believe anyone thinks Charlotte's personality is going to make people vote for her :scream:

Team Cee-Lo - Sarah vs Juliet, old Rod Stewart song
I missed Sarah's audition. She seems likable enough but no way was she going to win this. I like her k.d. lang vibe, but she didn't even fight for it - she seemed content to be Juliet's backup singer in this "battle". I liked Juliet's performance was more than her audition, and I even kinda dug her batshit Xena/Wonder Woman get up :lol:

Team Adam - Whitney vs Kim, No More Drama
Aw, another matchup of two I really like. I love Whitney's voice and style, but Kim owned this. Plus Whitney had several pitch problems at the beginnings of her phrases. Sad Whitney had to go but happy for Kim.

Team Xtina - LeetheBaker vs Lindsay, Heart Shaped Box
Gah, these mentors are killing me with these matchups! I really loved this duet. No surprise that Lindsay was chosen - she is super creative and versatile - but Lee brought it. And :rofl: to Blake for not knowing Heart Shaped Box!!

Team Cee-Lo - Jamar vs Jamie, Wanna Know What Love Is
The sandwich boy never had a chance. To be honest, I thought both of them were trying way too hard on this...it was just not a good performance. But Jamar sang well and Jamie had the worst performance of any of the battle rounds so far. Weird to end the episode on such a mediocre note, but I guess they wanted to go for the feel-good redemption story.

Cheylana
03-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Sandwich Guy was awful. Was it just because the song was out of his range, or is he a bad singer? Also, he looked like a cross between Danny Gokey and Sally Jessy Raphael.

Speaking of Gokey, the whole storyline about Jamar and Sandwich Guy being Great!Friends! seemed like a forced redux of Jamar and Danny Gokey's friendship on AI. Except this time, instead of Danny making top 36 over Jamar, now Jamar gets redemption by prevailing over his "good friend."

Man, Charlotte was annoying. Can't see the audience rushing to their phones for her when she performs live.

I think Juliette deliberately picked that trashy outfit to appeal to CeeLo's, err, weaknesses. :shuffle: Then again, the deck was stacked in her favor from the beginning; the song suited her style much more than it did Sara's style.

Cheylana
03-13-2012, 06:01 AM
I missed Sarah's audition.
I was sort of offended by her blind audition. Before she sang, the producers hid her face and said, "Would you vote for someone who looked like this?" The way they went on about it, I expected her to be hideously deformed or something. Then they finally revealed her face in this "aha" moment, and I was like, "Ok, so what? She's not conventionally 'hawt' but she's certainly not ugly." :confused:

genevieve
03-13-2012, 06:10 AM
I was sort of offended by her blind audition. Before she sang, the producers hid her face and said, "Would you vote for someone who looked like this?" The way they went on about it, I expected her to be hideously deformed or something. Then they finally revealed her face in this "aha" moment, and I was like, "Ok, so what? She's not conventionally 'hawt' but she's certainly not ugly." :confused:

ok, they had a couple of those last season too, where they hid someone and when they finally revealed their faces it was all...oh, is that all?

And honestly, after Beverly success last year, I don't see how voters would blink an eye about a soft butch who sings in a folkish style.

Allskate
03-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Sandwich Guy was awful. Was it just because the song was out of his range, or is he a bad singer?

These things are subjective, but I thought the song was bad for him and that he's actually a pretty good singer. I liked his audition, but it's not everyone's cup of tea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEUOabzp2Ns

I kind of get why coaches would choose songs that fit their favorite. It's not to make the other person look bad, but to try to make their favorite acquire more fans who will vote for them later on.

The thing with Sarah's looks would have bothered me more if she herself did not make such a big deal about it. Even tonight, after she lost, she mentioned it. It's too bad she didn't get a song that was better suited to her, but I guess CeeLo had his plans.

genevieve
03-13-2012, 07:06 AM
I really got the impression that Sarah's looks were her "niche" and she was told to keep harping on it.

It's no secret that contestants on these shows are given roles to play.

Aceon6
03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
From the first battle rounds last season, I viewed them as a chance for the mentors to get rid of anyone if they were having second thoughts. If the song wasn't in someone's wheelhouse, it meant that the mentor was either cutting them loose or, in rare cases, giving them an opportunity to show what they could do. I also got the vibe that work ethic was factoring in. Could the contestant make changes? Could they incorporate the feedback and still perform well? How quickly do they memorize lyrics? Can they switch keys? That sort of thing...

Cheylana
03-13-2012, 01:42 PM
These things are subjective, but I thought the song was bad for him and that he's actually a pretty good singer. I liked his audition, but it's not everyone's cup of tea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEUOabzp2Ns
Ah, I forgot he did the Johnny Cash song. I remember being entertained by it at the time, but hearing it again I don't think his voice is all that great. He did make a cool song choice, though.

I do remember them pulling the "Would you vote for someone who looks like this?" last season too with that Emily Hughes rocker girl, but there I could sort of understand it because she voluntarily covered herself in tattoos. Whereas here, the show implied that Sarah was just naturally homely looking. Seemed unnecessary.

rfisher
03-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Sarah at least had an opportunity to showcase her talent on the Voice. She'd never have made it past the producers on AI much less make it to the judges.