PDA

View Full Version : The Voice - S2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Matryeshka
02-22-2012, 03:54 AM
LOVE Sandwich dude. LOVED that version of Folson Prison Blues. I think Adam or Cee Lo would be good for him. Such a great contrast to that pretentious, overly produced Broadway Queen Guyliner douche canoe.

Kid who has never been outside gives me future serial killer vibes. I think Carson Daly guy had a good voice but was nothing special, and Babylon is boring lyrically and musically. I liked piano country girl--was that an original song? Are they allowed to do original music? :( for Eric Tipton, but it so sounded like really good karaoke rather than making the song his own.

LOVED Matthai and that version of Rumor Has It. It had a cheeky quality. Maybe I like people that don't sing all that well. :lol:

Cheylana
02-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Such a great contrast to that pretentious, overly produced Broadway Queen Guyliner douche canoe.
Was it just me or did Mr. Guyliner look pissed that more judges didn't turn around for him? :P

Aceon6
02-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Was it just me or did Mr. Guyliner look pissed that more judges didn't turn around for him? :P

Yes, he did look pissed. Guess he didn't understand that part of being a success on Broadway is the combo of the voice and the presentation. Since this is The Voice, he only got to use part of what makes him good. He should have known that.

genevieve
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM

I think that's a big part of why I didn't care for him. If he gets to the voting phase, I wonder if that will be a big reality check for him. Too bad, because I do think he's quite talented.

Allskate
02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Yes, he did look pissed. Guess he didn't understand that part of being a success on Broadway is the combo of the voice and the presentation. Since this is The Voice, he only got to use part of what makes him good. He should have known that.

I didn't think he looked pissed. He looked pretty similar to how he looked throughout the segment on him -- a skeletal and serious dude with guyliner. I'm sure there are a lot of people who will not find that -- or his dramatic vocal style -- appealing. Just as Adam Lambert didn't appeal to a lot of people. But there's really no question that those guys can sing. That's apparent without looking at them.

Realistically, I don't think Tony could have expected either Blake or Adam to turn for him. Just as those guys didn't turn for the opera guy. It's not in their comfort/preference zone. Adam does not like theatrical singing, and Blake's tastes are pretty specific.

Also realistically, the number of people who turn for a singer is not necessarily representative of the quality of the vocals. That's pretty obvious. Cee Lo was the only one to turn for both Tony and Jamal, but those two guys are not the fodder on his team. Boston Boy had three judges turning for him, but that definitely doesn't mean that Boston Boy is the strongest on Cee Lo's team or one of the strongest in the competition.

I think the producers and coaches do have to be careful not to damage a good thing by having a bunch of "different" singers who are fairly similar to each other and not necessarily what a large portion of the audience enjoys (or even that good in their style). They need variety.

skatesindreams
02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Allskate,

Entire post:
:respec:

Garden Kitty
02-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Her name is Charlotte Sometimes & that's definitely NOT her real name.

That's the name of a children's book and the movie and song inspired by the book.

genevieve
02-23-2012, 12:06 AM
I had no idea that there was a book! Just read up on it and now the lyrics make sense. Robert Smith sure was a bookworm.

Cheylana
02-23-2012, 12:55 AM
I didn't think he looked pissed. He looked pretty similar to how he looked throughout the segment on him -- a skeletal and serious dude with guyliner.
Great, now I've got this image of Skeletor sporting guyliner; can't shake it :slinkaway ;)

reckless
02-23-2012, 01:09 AM
I've watched all but the first half of the last episode (my DVR didn't work right), but I just looked at the teams and I can barely remember any of the singers. That does not bode well for me feeling like this is much-watch TV.

rfisher
02-23-2012, 02:04 AM
This has been discussed by reviewers prior to the start of the program. I don't think that's uncommon given the singers have been spread out over 4 weeks and there was only a short segment for each compared to the endless pimping on AI. That being said, the elimination rounds bring them all back. This show isn't about the audience participation until the very end and doesn't try to create audience favorites. Audience votes will be based more on the performance rather than knowing who they are. I've watched all of the Voice and parts of AI. All the singers on the Voice can sing, but that's not the real focus of the show. The interaction of the mentors is the real draw. The strategy of playing the game; choosing a team, getting it down to 4. It's more about that than any individual singer. IMHO, this is what sets the show apart and keeps my interest. I've listened to AI and not heard anybody I'd buy records from, and the judges and Seacreat leave me cold. So, the Voice wins hands down for me. And, they have Purrfectthecat. :D

genevieve
02-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Last season all of those who made the final 4 made a clear impression from the very first audition, and there was a lot less backstory on each of the singers. I'd say there were at least 6 singers who got their core fanbase from the first time we saw them.

It's not about The Voice vs. AI (that's a rather unfair fight, as AI has been a bloated mess for years). It's The Voice S2 vs. The Voice S1.

Cheylana
02-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Anyone know the amount of the recording contract for this year's winner? I sure hope it's more than $100K. I mean, if they can spare $10 million for Xtina....

haribobo
02-23-2012, 06:48 AM
douche canoe

ITA whole post!!

MarieM
02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
I think last season they played their card too early making it impossible for certain very good contesters to really shine. So the auditions look subdued so far, and a part of me like that because I'm sure I'll learn to appreciate them more with the battle rounds.
And not playing early favorites like with Javier, Dia or the hispanic chick from last year.