PDA

View Full Version : The Voice - S2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Allskate
02-08-2012, 02:43 AM
One thing that really impressed me about Adam last year was his song choices. He really managed to find songs that fit the voices of his team members. The one that still stands out in my mind is his using "Leather and Lace" for Casey and Tim. They both had unusual voices, but the song was perfect at showing off their unique qualities.

I didn't think their voices were that unusual, and I actually had the overall impression that both Adam and Xtina were hit and miss with the song choices. I thought Blake was better. But that wasn't really what I was thinking about when I said that Christina would have been better suited to Christina. I think Christina generally picked more of the powerhouse voice and people who liked glory notes, melisma, and were more bold in their personalities. Basically, singers in her comfort zone. (Which is why I find her choice of Lindsey interesting.)

In contrast, I think Adam is at the other end of the spectrum. He has made it pretty clear, on and off the show, that he doesn't like melisma, glory notes, and theatrics. He's much more restrained in general. I got the impression that this led to some conflicts with some of his team, like Javier and Casey.

Personally, my own taste is much more like Adam's, but I got the impression that Kim's tastes were more like Christina's, which is why I thought she was better suited for Kim. I also think Adam is less likely than Christina to keep Kim around when he has the power to choose in the early rounds, simply because her style isn't one he loves. And the most important thing is to stay on the show as long as possible.

I don't think I would pick Adam for a coach if I didn't share his views on vocals and artistry. OTOH, I think I would feel comfortable choosing Blake even if I weren't country and had a different approach to music because I think he really is mostly about helping the singers to be their best at who they really are as singers and artists (unlike Adam and Christina who both were claiming to be like that last night.)

But, I think that all of the coaches probably learned something from last season and may change their approaches.

AragornElessar
02-08-2012, 03:53 AM
what I loved so much about last year is that it showed that voters can be trusted to vote based on voice and the TRUE package of a person. When Beverly was voted safe - a middle aged bald butch dyke* FFS!!! - out of all of Team Xtina, I just about wept. yeah, the safe guy won the big prize, but 1) he was hella talented and 2) Vicci and Beverly got SHAFTED in the final competition with their star duet, and I'd also say that Vicci got lost a bit in Cee-Lo's Great Packaging Machine. I really respected the way Xtina and Blake were able to promote their singers and draw out what made them unique. Not sure about Adam's ability to do that because he didn't have to...Adam's already got the vaguely alternative crowd, and his singer was ready for the mainstream.

I do wonder what Cee-Lo would have done with Nakia if he's made it to the finals.

but anyway...it remains to be seen if the show can hold onto the cred of promoting the truly talented but not conventional without going all Breakfast Club Makeover on them.

*on the off chance anyone doesn't already know this and has their boxers in a wad - I am a dyke and this is a COMPLIMENT

Well, I'm not and I was just as thrilled as you over Beverly doing so well last year in spite of who and what she was. To me, Bev doing so well last year really showed how far America has come. I still think she should have won, as her voice just knocked me out from her first audition all the way through. Has she put out an Album since, because I'd love to get my hands on it if she has.

Javier OTOH...Other than his performance of Angel, he just never really got to me and seemed rather one note. That's just me though. I also think a certain Cdn teeny bopper pop "star" who mentioned to his Twitter-pods they should all vote for Javier because said "star" was such good friends w/Adam didn't exactly hurt Javier's voting numbers...

As I said though, that's just me and my opinion.

my little pony
02-08-2012, 04:02 AM
bev's cd is called "fear nothing" and it came out around thanksgiving

manhn
02-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Just based on the top 4 from last season, I thought Christina did the most to help her pupil get to that spot. I thought Christina chose appropriate songs for Bev and let her do stuff that would allow her to shine.

Ceelo was okay with Vicki but sometimes I find Ceelo makes decisions just to amuse him rather to really help the contestants.

I can't remember one darn thing Adam did to help Javier (besides, totally shaft Casey in the judge's scores). Oh yeah, Adam had great original song for Javier but I don't know if the judges have any power in that.

No doubt, Blake really invested in Dia by having her tour with him and all that, but I don't think Dia's performance style or selection of music were greatly impacted by Blake.

AragornElessar
02-08-2012, 04:38 AM
bev's cd is called "fear nothing" and it came out around thanksgiving

Thanks mlp!! Once I get back to the World of WiFi, I'll have to look for it on iTunes. :)

taf2002
02-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Ok maybe not gay, with all his Christian background, but his voice was just ok. Nothing spectacular or unique. He wouldn't have won.

Are you kidding? Son of a Christian music composer & football star? It's destiny. :D

I DVR'd both episodes & watched them this afternoon. For some reason I didn't get the country girl who went for Blake but I saw her later. She's pretty good, also like Opera guy. I'm starting to forget who was on 1st show & who was on 2nd. I didn't really like 1st rocker girl or the backup singer.

The Prince medley was good in parts & painful in others but the best part for me was Blake's solo of Kiss at the end....he knocked me out. But all 4 really showed why they are such big stars.

I agreed with all the people they didn't turn around for...that big teenager with the strange name was the only one who was really bad. But I felt bad for some of the others, like the guy with the top hat. I liked the country girl from North Dakota but I thought her priorities are a little strange. If you haven't made it by age 37, are you really going to become a big star? My favorite by far was army girl. To me she has the best backstory, the most marketable voice, the looks, & the stage presence. I'm really looking forward to the season.

Spareoom
02-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Just finished the second episode...man, I love this show. :D

I love Adam, but he needs to tone it down on the "I won!" stuff, lol. He should be thanking Justin Bieber with every breath he takes because Dia was miles ahead of Javiar.

A few pages back someone was commenting on how Idol seems to be better at producing actual success than The Voice. I think that is because shows like Idol and X-Factor aren't about the actual voice as they are about the whole package...they want looks, personality, backstory, presence and then they just market them to death. They make them sing the music that is current and gets them boatloads of fans as a result. They're more about the icon status of a pop singer, whereas the Voice really is about the voice. Someone like Xenia wouldn't have made it anywhere on Idol (and didn't succeed on the Voice because she was unable to control her nerves) but you have to admit she had a GREAT voice; and I would buy her music, because her style appeals to me.

Not all the singers on The Voice do something for me; I wouldn't buy Javier or Bev's music personally. But that's my own taste, and I love how The Voice has a bit of every style and genre for everyone, even if it's not the most trendy thing that's going to sell a million cd's.

Anyway! So far on the show, I like Lindsay and RaeLyn (?) the country girl. I'm excited to see how they will develop! :D

Oh, and as for coaches, I like Blake the best. He was the one I knew the least about at the beginning of the first season, but he really grew on me. He showed a lot of restraint in letting Dia do her own thing, and was so incredibly supportive of Xenia. We all thought she'd get cut after the first week but he saw the potential in her and kept at it. He has the patience of a saint and I really, really really hope he picks the winning artist this year!

Allskate
02-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Just based on the top 4 from last season, I thought Christina did the most to help her pupil get to that spot. I thought Christina chose appropriate songs for Bev and let her do stuff that would allow her to shine.

I agree with this. My point was that Xtina does the best with the power singers and big personalities. I'm just not sure she would do as well with singers whose voices and personalities are the opposite of hers.

No doubt, Blake really invested in Dia by having her tour with him and all that, but I don't think Dia's performance style or selection of music were greatly impacted by Blake.

I think the songs were right for her, whether they were his idea or hers, he had the power and he used it well. I don't think the same is necessarily true of Adam. I agree with whoever said that a lot of other people would have dumped Xenia much earlier, and I am so glad that Blake didn't.

And, yeah, the best thing that Adam did for Javier was get Justin Bieber to have his very large and fanatical fanbase vote for Javier. Javier lost the I-Tunes vote and won the title only because of the other votes.

In general, though, I think that this is a great group of coaches and that it's looking like we're going to have a good mix of talented singers this season. The focus will be on the singing, not looks, backstories or phony personalities pandering to conservative Americans. Give me Bev, Dia, Vicci, and Xenia over Lauren and Scotty --not to mention Gokey! -- any day. So, yay for The Voice!

MarieM
02-08-2012, 08:47 AM
To me Adam and Blake are the best coach.
Adam because when he finds his true "love" so to speak, he'll put everything behind him. Yeah his visions can be strange (and I think Dia would have been better with him than with Blake IMO) but that's that vision that makes him a good coach. Only for his chosen one though.
Blake doesn't play favorites. I think he's looking for new artists and he will nurture them all without distinction. He sometimes lack the artistic vision that could prove to be vital for them to emerge. Xenia is the perfect exemple of that right ? I used to listen to her closing my eyes. She was one of the few I would turn every single time !

C-Lo is there to "play". I don't think he's too serious about that.
Xtina has learned a lot it seems from last year's experience. We'll see :)

haribobo
02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Since we're talking about Xenia, here's her awesome single. I love it! Warning, the video is very blah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqi1AJeMeWs&ob=av2e

MarieM
02-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Ok now I do have one album to buy and a single to find on french sites. It's gonna be hard !

Rob
02-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Have you noticed that Randy and Steven will often send through the pretty girls, even if their voices are not up to par? Sometimes it has seemed that way to me.

Yes, I have noticed that and I think JLo has too! :lol:

orbitz
02-12-2012, 03:05 AM
i dont really understand adam's appeal to be honest

Sex on a stick. And oh yeah, some of his songs aren't bad either ;)

LuckyCharm
02-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Ya'll watchin'?

rfisher
02-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Yes. Will an admin please close the other thread if we're using this one? Kthanks.

I don't see what the big deal about her looks was.