PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about apps...

Pages : [1] 2

Buzz
01-31-2012, 04:32 PM
I've finally got myself that iPad I've been drooling over for so long. :lol: But the amount of apps available is HUGE so does anyone have any recommendations or favorite apps?

skipaway
01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
I like basic card games...easy to play during down time. Spades, Spite and Malice, Hearts and Euchre are my favorites.

Stormy
01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Two words: ANGRY BIRDS

:)

Bostonfan
01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
If you have any magazine subscriptions, you can usually get a free App for it. I have one for EW and it has some nice added features like movie trailers.

I'm very new to the app world, so I have only downloaded a few apps. Angry Birds (because I heard so much about it. It really is addictive, silly fun). Also all the standard card games. Beyond that, I'm in the same boat as you - still exploring to determine what I'd like.

ArtisticFan
01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
I also love Angry Birds as a time waster. Bejeweled is also mindless fun when stuck in a waiting room or while on hold.

MacMadame
01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
I have one AWSolitaire that has about 18 card games in one app.

I was bored by Angry Birds. :D

Most of my apps are related to stuff I do elsewhere. Like I have apps for MyFitnessPal, an online food & exercise tracking service, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.

I also bought Pages, an app to create text documents. It's a mobile version of Apple's Pages for the Mac.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head... iPad is at home right now.

flyingsit
01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
If you travel a lot, TripIt is awesome.
Words With Friends
Netflix
I like NBC Sports Talk (no figure skating coverage, but the major team sports all have dedicated sections.

Rob
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Here is a thread about iPhone apps -- they have iPad versions of some of them. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81416&highlight=Apps

Anita18
02-01-2012, 12:40 AM
I love having a "read it later" app when I come across a cool article but can't read it at that minute. I use Read It Later but I've also heard Instapaper is very good as well. I just couldn't get it to work on my iPhone. :P

Plants vs Zombies is SO MUCH FUN on the iPad. You can see all the details in the animation, like the blinking lily pads. :lol:

BigB08822
02-01-2012, 01:14 AM
I am really addicted to Temple Run. I don't know how well it would translate to the iPad but I know they have it for iPad as I played for a second at the Apple Store. You have to tilt your phone/iPad when playing so I felt (in the 10 seconds I played) that it was much easier on the phone since the iPad requires two hands and is heavier. Still fun, though!

I have also enjoyed iTuneU. You can download free seminars and lectures from leading professors and Universities. They also have stuff for purchase. I recently downloaded an entire seminar on Autism and can not wait to watch all the videos, they also feature powerpoints.

Do you use Redbox? If so I highly recommend the Redbox app. It is a huge time saver because it shows you all the Redbox locations near you and what movies they have. So if I want to go rent a movie I use my app first and I can see where it is available in town before I waste a trip. You can also reserve it through the app but I tried it once and it said it didn't go through when it did and therefore I was double charged. They gave me my money back with no questions but I won't use it to reserve anything again.

Prancer
02-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Apps are personal, in the sense that the reason there are so many of them is that different people use their electronic gadgets for different things.

I don't play a lot of games (a few), but I use a lot of work/organization apps and some personal interest apps. Like MacMadame, the apps I use are related to things I do.

So I think the answer to "What kind of apps should I get?" has to start with "What do you want your iPad to do?" and you might get better advice.

oleada
02-01-2012, 02:20 AM
For games, I love:

- All the Angry Birds. Right now I'm obsessed with Angry Birds Rio
- 7 Little Words
- Shortyz crosswords. It downloads crosswords from multiple sources

For other random apps:
- Soundhound
- ZocDoc
- Yelp
- WhatsApp

Ajax
02-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Hmm well the iPad edition of this app hasn't been released yet but should be soon, and I highly recommend that you sign up for it:
http://www.readability.com/
This works for not only mobile devices but also on the computer: Basically it's an add-on to your browser. When you are reading an article, one click on the Readability button and it gets rid of all the ads, sidebars, menu bars, annoying videos etc and leaves you with just the main text that you want to read, expanded to fill a white background. It makes reading on computers/mobile devices so much easier!

Buzz
02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
FB is going to love that app! LOL So far I have only gotten a total of six apps; a recipe app, angry birds, memory, iTunes U, Toronto Library, and Sporting News.

algonquin
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
For my son:

The Monster At the End of This Book (Worth every cent)
My Playhouse
Teachme: Toddler
Teachme: Kindergarten
Shape-O ABC's
Injini (This app was designed for kids with developmental delays, but it is so good that any kid would benefit. It is not cheap.)
Whimsy
iwritewords

A few of mine:

my fitness pal
IMDb Movies
Grocery IQ
Things
Globe and Mail
CBC

(I don't play a lot games.)