PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

IceAlisa
02-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Mirai looked AMAZING in practice and next to Rachael Flatt she is a paragon of fitness but her arms and back are a bit softer than say, Ashley's or Agnes'. That doesn't mean she was unfit the way Rachael was. Mirai looked good but not as great as these two.

Also, in practice I haven't seen her miss or even near miss one thing. She was solid as a rock. The sureness with which she landed her jumps every time was remarkable, which made me think she is prepared. However, there was the same blank expression in practice as she had during performances.

It's interesting that you note I agree with some of the content in Yazmeen's post (not indicating which, btw) but not with yours. :P

winterone
02-01-2012, 11:17 PM
It's interesting how sensitive and caring people are being towards Mirai in this thread, versus many of the things written in various Rachael Flatt threads. There are far fewer folks being high-minded and heroic, worried about getting too personal about Rachael. Perhaps that is a compliment; I guess they figure Flatt is tough and smart enough to take the abuse.

I don't agree with the fact Mirai gets a pass. Both of these skaters should be prepared to take the heat of being in the hot white lights. Mirai was very average at nationals. Rachel was as well. Rachel if most definately focusing on school based on her physique.

agalisgv
02-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't agree with the fact Mirai gets a pass. Ironically, earlier in this thread people were complaining how harsh some were being towards Mirai.

That said, I have to agree with mysticchic that there's a world of difference between the critiques so far directed towards Mirai, and those that have been leveled against Flatt for quite awhile now. There's been a viciousness on the part of some towards Flatt that has few counterparts. I would hope that wouldn't happen with Mirai because that really shouldn't be happening to anyone whose primary fault is not finishing as well as some would hope.

And in full disclosure I thought Flatt deserved the sanction she received. But I think virtually everyone on this board knows that the venom directed towards Flatt for the past while now really has nothing to do with that, and is really quite ugly and inexcusable.

IceAlisa
02-02-2012, 12:52 AM
I can't think of an elite skater about whom harsh comments (and that's putting it mildly) haven't been made here on FSU.

ballettmaus
02-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Also, in practice I haven't seen her miss or even near miss one thing. She was solid as a rock. The sureness with which she landed her jumps every time was remarkable, which made me think she is prepared. However, there was the same blank expression in practice as she had during performances.

Reading that, especially how solid she was in practice makes me automatically think of Sasha.
Very much like Mirai, Sasha breezed onto the scene in 2002, placed 4th in the Olympics and struggled afterwards in a similar pattern - she looked good in practices but in interviews was talking about how she liked to do this and that and it was rarely about skating anymore (very simply put, of course).
Sasha probably held it together better than Mirai since she was on several world teams afterwards and always placed among the top, still I can't help to notice similarities and neither seemed to live up to their potential after doing exceptionally and unexpectedly well at the Olympics.

Maybe this "early out" will make Mirai think about what she really wants. She may say she prefers to go to the beach rather than train, the question is why. Is it laziness or something else? Maybe she doesn't know where she's going with skating anymore?!
Whatever it is, I hope she figures it out and I hope she'll be back skating and skating everyone else into the ground because she's a great skater!

IceAlisa
02-02-2012, 01:25 AM
I really don't know what's going on with Mirai. It does seem that for one reason or another she is not exactly in a good place. Hope that changes.

iarispiralllyof
02-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Reading that, especially how solid she was in practice makes me automatically think of Sasha.
Very much like Mirai, Sasha breezed onto the scene in 2002, placed 4th in the Olympics and struggled afterwards in a similar pattern - she looked good in practices but in interviews was talking about how she liked to do this and that and it was rarely about skating anymore (very simply put, of course).
Sasha probably held it together better than Mirai since she was on several world teams afterwards and always placed among the top, still I can't help to notice similarities and neither seemed to live up to their potential after doing exceptionally and unexpectedly well at the Olympics.

Maybe this "early out" will make Mirai think about what she really wants. She may say she prefers to go to the beach rather than train, the question is why. Is it laziness or something else? Maybe she doesn't know where she's going with skating anymore?!
Whatever it is, I hope she figures it out and I hope she'll be back skating and skating everyone else into the ground because she's a great skater!

sasha was more inconsistent than mirai..

berthesghost
02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
sasha was more inconsistent than mirai..:lol: that's hilarious!

RD
02-02-2012, 01:58 AM

hmm, I dunno about that. Especially not after this season!

mag
02-02-2012, 02:16 AM

May I have some of what you are smoking?? :lol: :lol:

iarispiralllyof
02-02-2012, 02:26 AM
my point was that everyone knows sasha has never had 2 clean programs in a row (outside of a cheesefest).

mirai has

UGG
02-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Sasha placed no lower than 4th at all of her international events from 2002-2006. Also, her programs were always beautiful to watch even with the mistakes. I cannot think of one time where she looked bored. Nervous..yes. Bored...no. She also made the world team 5 out of the 6 nationals she competed in. Mirai has been eligible for the world team for the past 4 years and has only made it once. I really don't see anything similar about them in that regard at all.

Jammers
02-02-2012, 02:37 AM
I agree. While Sasha could never skate clean programs at least a clean LP when it mattered she usually was engaged with the audience and the music when she skated. She never looked bored or skated like a zombie which is how Mirai looks sometimes. And not just this year either she was skating like that also last season too. Sasha actually mad her her programs come to life while Mirai just skates with a blank look on her face.

berthesghost
02-02-2012, 02:55 AM
my point was that everyone knows sasha has never had 2 clean programs in a row (outside of a cheesefest).

mirai has:eek: she has !?!

IceAlisa
02-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Sasha never skated with a deadpan expression like Mirai does. She sold her programs and fought through at all times, even when she messed up. She never gave up, hence Olympic Silver and an impressive haul of medals in general.