PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Melissa
01-31-2012, 01:49 AM
I don't think people quite understand the role of a sports psychologist. The majority of professional athletes and amateur athletes see sports psychologists. It doesn't mean they are crazy or have any problems, sports psychologists are there for the athletes to improve their performance. Sometimes, the psychologists are just as crucial to the success of the athlete as their coaches are. Athletes often see psychologists after getting hurt, losing the big game, or constant failure to be able to determine a cause and a cure. A sport psychologist would work WONDERS for Mirai. It seems her biggest problem is trying to please everybody but not quite knowing how, thus she gets lost in her thoughts.

Subway
01-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Exactly! For everyone of mirai's lame ass excuses on why she can't succeed there is at least 1 ready example of someone who did.
There is nothing and no one holding back nagasu except for the simple fact that she doesn't want it. Well, nice it's so simple.

There are so many things in a personality that can hold someone back besides not wanting it.

RD
01-31-2012, 03:47 AM
It's really easy for us to sit at home with remotes in our hands and to speculate as to why this is or why that is, and some of us even pretend to be psychics and mind readers....

Right.

The impression I got was not that she was distracted, or unprepared, but that she was unhappy. Whether she was actually feeling that emotion, I don't know, but that's how it LOOKED to me. And that conveys to me that she didn't want to be performing that night. It MIGHT mean that she's no longer interested in skating but there's a difference between skating recreationally in shows and competing in stressful situations at an event like Nationals/Worlds/Olys.

I don't know how she is feeling. I don't think any of us here do. Perhaps not even her coach does. Only she does. I can only look at her and draw my own conclusions from my own observations.

ETA: all this talk about a sports psychologist- do we know for SURE that Nagasu HASN'T been seeing one? I see so many posts suggesting she see one, but...no way to know if she's already tried that and it wasn't working too well...

berthesghost
01-31-2012, 04:27 AM
I don't understand--because something worked for another skater, it should automatically work
"When I see his no-nonsense attitude, I train the same way. When I'm by myself, sometimes I just like to enjoy myself and appreciate that I can skate well."

That appreciation can come from nothing more than the movement of her skates on the ice. obviously not, which is why her desire to train should come from herself and not be dependent on Evan, who finds it within himself, not sitting around waiting for Kwan to return. She shouldn't be perfectly content just doing laps like she's at a public session. Not if she wants to be among the worlds best.

IceAlisa
01-31-2012, 05:04 AM
I don't know, I've never seen her train outside of the practice sessions in San Jose and there she worked hard.

Sasha'sSpins
01-31-2012, 06:14 AM
That's all true. In practices she was calm, deadpan on the ice, but everything landed beautifully and easily. Once again, she appeared very well-trained. Off the ice she was laughing and having a good time with fellow skaters, Agnes in particular. I remember Ashley keeping to herself in contrast and having her fighter face on.

However, right before the short and the free skate I could see where the skaters waited to start their group's warm up and it was a different Mirai. Before she went out to warm up, she was pacing, looked nervous for the first time that week, almost angry or frustrated. On the ice she was tight, her face emotionless, movement mechanical vs. the easy grace of the practices.

I also noticed Mirai picking at her nails just before she started her LP-I mentioned it right away as I was typing as I watched-my post at the time:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82321&page=36#708
Mirai looks nervous/pensive. Picking on her nails.

I'd never seen her do that before. It gave me a feeling of doom right away. :(

Honestly, I think the speculation that Mirai just doesn't want it is as bad as my own speculation about what may be going on in her head.

:respec:

Well, nice it's so simple.

There are so many things in a personality that can hold someone back besides not wanting it.

:respec:

Cheylana
01-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Has there been any word from Team Nagasu since the ladies FS?

Sylvia
01-31-2012, 04:12 PM
ETA: all this talk about a sports psychologist- do we know for SURE that Nagasu HASN'T been seeing one?
Very good point. We, as fans, don't know.

I see so many posts suggesting she see one, but...no way to know if she's already tried that and it wasn't working too well...
Finding the right sports psychologist who is effective for an individual skater can be as challenging as finding the right coach.

olympic
01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
^In my post, I wasn't talking about just a sports psychologist, but a therapist that can help her with life's issues.

That's correct - it's really difficult finding a good therapist, too.

Sylvia
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
^^^ I know we fans like to discuss/speculate about what we perceive to be the skaters' problems and what might be holding them back from achieving good results, but that's just a bit too personal for me. YMMV of course.

olympic
01-31-2012, 04:19 PM
^^^ I know we fans like to discuss/speculate about what we perceive to be skaters' problems, but that's a bit too personal for me.

Understood.

But, Mirai has commented on personal matters publicly. It's natural that her fans / concerned people on skating boards would discuss them. I agree that it should be handled delicately just so you don't hurt someone so young further. That would be terrible.

Jammers
01-31-2012, 06:15 PM
All i know is someone as talented as Mirai should not be done with their skating season this early.

topaz
02-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Well I think the style of Frank Carroll and team are not helping HER. It's obvious she need a coach and a team that will help her learn to relax before a performance. It could the programs, maybe she needs programs that allow her to relax instead being the "mode" of a ladies skater should skate to.

Mirai4life
02-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Mirai needs a young, straight forward coach. Not to be rude or anything but i think Frank is a little too .... erg. It's hard to train someone who has problems like Mirai when you're that kind of coach.

change of edge
02-01-2012, 07:47 AM
It's definitely not over for Mirai if she chooses to go on. Many young skaters touted as the "next big star" experience major hiccups in their careers (Miki Ando's implosion at the 2006 olympics stands out). And actually now the international judges are rewarding maturity a lot more, since so many top skaters (carolina, alissa, miki, akiko, joannie, etc) are all mid 20s.

Sending positive thoughts for Mirai now though. I fear there's quite a long time before the next competition for her (unless she gets chosen for the World Team Trophy) and she might lose motivation :(