PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]

RD
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
I agree, I don't get it at all.

Wyliefan
02-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I think it's the "any port in a storm" idea. If you want a skater to do well and singles skating just isn't going so great, it's tempting to start wondering how he or she might do in another discipline.

Sasha'sSpins
02-17-2012, 02:48 AM
^ Why does everyone think pairs is the solution to a ladies skater who is a headcase? She's the one who's going to be thrown in the air, not the other way around...

Not everyone-I certainly don't think so. Pairs is an entirely different discipline than singles. The most dangerous imo and someone who apparently has trouble with focusing like Mirai-well I don't know. I disagree with whomever said she was too tall or big for pairs. There have been female pairs skaters as tall as or bigger than Nagasu. Mirai is only about 5'3 or 5'4. With the right partner she certainly could have given pairs a go but she obviously chose singles for a reason.

LilJen
02-17-2012, 02:54 AM
:rolleyes: Are you done yet? You've been spitting venom at Mirai for a while now.

@Sasha...thank you. I couldn't remember which one it was and I'm glad you, at least, got my point. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about Eddie Edwards. Do you remember him?

Eddie the Eagle? The ski jumper from Britain? He was AWESOME!! He was having SO MUCH FUN and that was really entertaining to watch.

berthesghost
02-17-2012, 03:20 AM
^ Why does everyone think pairs is the solution to a ladies skater who is a headcase? She's the one who's going to be thrown in the air, not the other way around...Everyone? Head case?

To answer the question "why do some people think pairs is the solution to a ladies skater who can no longer land her triple jumps?", it's an outdated idea to the days of 6.0 when a lady was expected to lay down a 7 triple lp with 2 3zs and a 3/3 while pairs did nothing more difficult than a throw 3r.

Of course, now a lady can do a 5 triple lp with nothing more difficult than a 3r and be the hands down faborite for world champ while the pairs are doing throw quads, throw 3z, throw 3f etc... :lol:

sadya
02-17-2012, 07:53 AM
I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in a biography of Sjoukje Dijkstra) that in the 60s era people thought ice dancing was very easy and if people didn't do well (enough) in singles skating but wanted to keep skating, they could switch to ice dancing. It wasn't considered a real sport by many athletes and coaches back then. I think even Dijkstra considered ice dancing at a certain point, but I could be wrong about that.

FiveRinger
02-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in a biography of Sjoukje Dijkstra) that in the 60s era people thought ice dancing was very easy and if people didn't do well (enough) in singles skating but wanted to keep skating, they could switch to ice dancing. It wasn't considered a real sport by many athletes and coaches back then. I think even Dijkstra considered ice dancing at a certain point, but I could be wrong about that.

That assumption makes sense, at least to the public. And there is the safety factor. Not that there aren't injuries in ice dancing, but there don't seem as many or as severe as the other disciplines. Pairs is beautiful to watch but if I had t would o do it I be scared to death.

berthesghost
02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
It was only just inthe past 10 years that yags was saying dance so easy it shouldn't be considered a sport. :lol:

The sd comment seems odd to me, as pairs in the 60s wasn't dangerous( no overhead lifts, no throws, etc...), plus it didn't require those pesky figures, and dance wasn't even an Olympic sport and certainly didn't have all the lifts and spins it does now, so you really were almost taking yourself out of the sport completely by switching to dance.

Susan M
02-17-2012, 05:53 PM
If you want a skater to do well and singles skating just isn't going so great, it's tempting to start wondering how he or she might do in another discipline.
I think the suggestion about pairs was not so much about being able to land jumps but the idea that training with a partner would create a different kind of commitment to practice and motivate her to better mental discipline, an area where she seems to have difficulty if Frank's exasperation is any measure. The problem with that suggestion (apart from having to get down to 100 or so pounds) is that the US men skating pairs kinda suck, so where does this get her?

I was the one who suggested she could add ice dance to her training. I wasn't thinking that she compete dance, but that she practice it. Dance also helps with posture, stroking and edge quality. (Charlie White, for example, originally took up dance to improve his singles skating.)

I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in a biography of Sjoukje Dijkstra) that in the 60s era people thought ice dancing was very easy ... It wasn't considered a real sport by many athletes and coaches back then.
Have you ever seen ice dance from the 60s? It really does look pretty lame. Today most figure skaters would say the ice dancers are actually the best pure skaters among the 4 disciplines. Still, Mirai is actually a pretty strong basic skater (good speed, good edges) so there are others who would benefit from cross-training in dance more than her.

Dilng
02-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Everyone? Head case?

To answer the question "why do some people think pairs is the solution to a ladies skater who can no longer land her triple jumps?", it's an outdated idea to the days of 6.0 when a lady was expected to lay down a 7 triple lp with 2 3zs and a 3/3 while pairs did nothing more difficult than a throw 3r.

Of course, now a lady can do a 5 triple lp with nothing more difficult than a 3r and be the hands down faborite for world champ while the pairs are doing throw quads, throw 3z, throw 3f etc... :lol:

:lol: SO TRUE!!

Sasha'sSpins
02-18-2012, 04:53 AM
I think the suggestion about pairs was not so much about being able to land jumps but the idea that training with a partner would create a different kind of commitment to practice and motivate her to better mental discipline, an area where she seems to have difficulty if Frank's exasperation is any measure. The problem with that suggestion (apart from having to get down to 100 or so pounds) is that the US men skating pairs kinda suck, so where does this get her?

I was the one who suggested she could add ice dance to her training. I wasn't thinking that she compete dance, but that she practice it. Dance also helps with posture, stroking and edge quality. (Charlie White, for example, originally took up dance to improve his singles skating.)

Have you ever seen ice dance from the 60s? It really does look pretty lame. Today most figure skaters would say the ice dancers are actually the best pure skaters among the 4 disciplines. Still, Mirai is actually a pretty strong basic skater (good speed, good edges) so there are others who would benefit from cross-training in dance more than her.

Not to me it doesn't. I think they looked quite elegant in their simple grace. They may look 'lame' to some but these are some of the pioneers of the sport. They laid down some of the basics, the foundations for the greatness to come. It's difficult to be a pioneer in any sport. People generations later think little of them, many even think they can do better even though their laymen and not real athletes, and they don't give them the respect they deserve. It's unfortunate.

Sasha'sSpins
02-23-2012, 06:47 PM
No news about Mirai yet regarding what she might decide for the coming season. Just a tweet that she was 'hacked'.
https://twitter.com/#!/mirai_nagasu
Mirai Nagasu @mirai_nagasu
Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite Close Open Details Hacked

She's got so much talent. I do hope she's making some hard decisions about her career path in the coming year.