PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27

UGG
02-14-2012, 11:56 PM
The language/tone of several of the responses was obviously to provoke a strong reaction out of her. They could have easily said something like "you, know, that's not very nice" but that would not have been strong enough for them, I guess.

I get what you are saying, however her original comment could be perceived as bullying if you want to get that technical. She could have easily just said...nothing and then we would not be having this discussion.

BTW not trying to give u a hard time or anything.

Vagabond
02-15-2012, 12:05 AM
I don't think people are being racist. They're just not really thinking it through. I'm sure if Iran or Saudi Arabia had skating feds, people would be suggesting that Armin Mahbanoozadeh and Yasmin Siraj represent those countries. And there have been a few people who've suggested that Agnes Zawadzki represent Poland.

How many times did people suggest Emily Hughes should go skate for Canada? I think...like...everyone on this board.

And were any of them former senior-level U.S. National champions?

I recognize that Zhang and the Shibutanis weren't, and I did use them as examples, but there's a tremendous difference between former silver medalist Hughes whose chances of ever winning gold at U.S. Nationals were pretty much over when she took out her Canadian citizenship and former gold medalist Nagasu who, still, could be the best in the world.

UGG
02-15-2012, 12:14 AM
And were any of them former senior-level U.S. National champions?

I recognize that Zhang and the Shibutanis weren't, and I did use them as examples, but there's a tremendous difference between former silver medalist Hughes whose chances of ever winning gold at U.S. Nationals were pretty much over when she took out her Canadian citizenship and former gold medalist Nagasu who, still, could be the best in the world.

I don't get why being a national champion makes it difference as far as this being a race issue. Mirai was a national champion, Emily a silver medalist. They are both Olympians and their best placement at worlds was 7th. Aside from the national championship, they are really not that different career wise.

Emily was one cheated but counted triple toe loop away from being national champion.

If you are looking at this being a skater VS skater comparison, yes, there is a big difference between Emily and Mirai. Mirai could be best in the world. She does not need to go to another country for results. She just needs to work harder.

RockTheTassel
02-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Do people SERIOUSLY think Nagasu would have an easier time in the Japanese field?? :confused:

Yes and no. Mao is obviously the biggest competition, though Mirai has the potential to beat her, especially with Mao's recent struggles. Akiko is twenty-six, so I expect that she'll continue through 2014 at the latest, and I do think Mirai could beat her. Kanako has had some success, but she doesn't have the greatest consistency or technique. Haruka is also inconsistent and hasn't proved to be a strong force yet. We don't know when/if Miki will be back.

The future strength of the Japanese field depends on whether or not Mao regains her form, how long Miki and Akiko plan to continue, and if the younger girls can step up. Mirai could definitely hold her own, but of course she would need to skate like she used to. She's not going to get anywhere by doing what she's doing now.

Anita18
02-15-2012, 01:17 AM
But I don't see Mirai skating for them, her Mom wouldn't even let her move a few hours up the road...
:lol:

And if they can't afford even to rent an apartment up in Lake Arrowhead for Mirai, how in the world could they afford to send Mirai to live in JAPAN??? :rofl: My parents live in the Bay Area (which is not cheap, same as LA) and my mom nearly had a coronary when she visited Japan. :lol:

It doesn't make any sense either - Mirai's issues are not because of lack of talent. If she's underperforming here, she'd probably underperform skating for Japan too. Trying to escape to a possibly-easier field (not guaranteed since it's ya know, Japan and not Georgia) wouldn't make any difference in her training or competitiveness. She might win more, but with equally subpar performances. Is that what we really want for Mirai?

berthesghost
02-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Wait.... The Reeds live in Japan? I thought they just showed up once a year for nationals.

And what about the sister who skates for ukrain? I thought they all lived in nj with mom.

Sparks
02-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Mirai can stay in the "Debi Thomas" tee-pee in Lake Arrowhead.
The End.

Sasha'sSpins
02-15-2012, 02:38 AM
My pet peeve is the assumption that Asian-American figure skaters, particularly those who have earned U.S. national championships at the senior level, have some deep and compelling need to forfeit all the support they have earned from United States Figure Skating, sit out two years, and then represent their ancestral homeland. :rolleyes:

ITA on this. My parents are from somewhere else and I'm proud of it but I'm not about to give up my citizenship for the country of their birth and I wouldn't compete for another country if I could.

At her best she can win the US championship quite convincingly.

We all know that a revitalized Nagasu can give basically the entire US field a run for their money. The only exception was perhaps a top-of-her-game Czisny, but that basically never happens. If/when she pulls herself together and gets back to 2010 National/Olympic form, no doubt in my mind she'll go right back to the top. Although she might need a 3-3 in the future...

I think if Mirai makes it back to Worlds and then the Olympics she will absolutely need a 3/3 in her arsenal if she wants to contend for the podium, nevermind the top spot-especially with the junior Russians, and U.S. skaters like Gracie Gold coming up.

kwanette
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Mirai can stay in the "Debi Thomas" tee-pee in Lake Arrowhead.
The End.

That's what I've always said..

berthesghost
02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Who's left in la?

pinky166
02-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Who's left in la?

Raphael Artunian. Mirai says she misses training with Evan and that he always motivated her to work hard. Maybe training with Nathan Chen could have the same effect? :P. He is moving to train with Raphael full time I believe. I think Artunian is also Denis Ten's main coach now and he is skating much better recently after the nightmarish season he had last year.

Sylvia
02-16-2012, 06:32 PM
@SarahandDrew tweeted that Mirai has been added to the Skating Club of Boston's "Ice Chips" show roster (March 31-April 1). Evan Lysacek is the headliner this year.

ETA that Frank Carroll was with Denis Ten at 4 Continents so I think he is still Ten's primary coach. Rafael Arutunian was in the 4CC Kiss and Cry with other skaters, IIRC.

berthesghost
02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Raphael Artunian. Mirai says she misses training with Evan and that he always motivated her to work hard. Maybe training with Nathan Chen could have the same effect? :P. He is moving to train with Raphael full time I believe. I think Artunian is also Denis Ten's main coach now and he is skating much better recently after the nightmarish season he had last year.Thanks! I like both Nathan and Denis.

Susan M
02-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Every country who is apart of the ISU has the right to send skaters.
Actually, that is true only in theory. In reality, they only have that right if they have a skater with the minimum qualifying score. The thinking that 90- point skaters don't belong at an "ISU championship" isn't really contrary to the ISU's thinking. The difference is over what the qualifying minimum score ought to be. At 4C, I think part of the problem was that some of those skaters did not perform up to their own better efforts. This happen a lot when events are held at Colo Springs because of the altitude.

I'd say it's "elitist" not "controversial". 4cc is suppose to be comparable to euros, and half of the ladies there failed to score 90+ in the lp, so....:shuffle:

The ISU likes to pretend they are comparable but their own rules show they are not. At Europeans, slots are awarded based on prior year results, like at Worlds. At 4C, every country gets three, which can mean some pretty weak competitors get to come sometimes.

Also I remember on a thread some months back talk about Mirai doing pairs.
Mirai is too big for pairs, but the idea that skating with a partner would help build mental discipline is sound. If she is looking for an alternative skating activity to support her singles efforts, she should try ice dance. (Actually, IMO most singles skaters would benefit from some ice dance training, for lots of reasons.)

How many times did people suggest Emily Hughes should go skate for Canada? I think...like...everyone on this board.
Heck, I remember folks suggesting Sarah Hughes skate for Canada. Back around 2000-2001, if you looked at the top 5 or 6 US ladies, all but I think one had a parent or grandparent born in another country, making the athlete eligible to skate for them in the Olympics.

smarts1
02-16-2012, 11:05 PM
^ Why does everyone think pairs is the solution to a ladies skater who is a headcase? She's the one who's going to be thrown in the air, not the other way around...