PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

pinky166
02-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Also if Mirai wanted to skate for Japan, would she actually need the permission of the USFS to do that? I wouldn't think so...

modern_muslimah
02-14-2012, 08:12 PM
If she wanted to compete for Japan, she would need USFSA to release her and that process would take some time. So yes, she would need permission.

Skittl1321
02-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Also if Mirai wanted to skate for Japan, would she actually need the permission of the USFS to do that? I wouldn't think so...

She would definitely have to sit out a release period, as she has competed for them at international championships. With Mirai being such a high ranking skater (a former Olympian) there is no way they would release her quickly. Two years is a long time.
Even after that time, it is my understanding they could refuse to release her, and then she would have to petition the ISU to release her.

AxelAnnie
02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Why would Mirai want to skate for Japan?

Nomad
02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
And why would Japan want Mirai? AFAIK, she doesn't have Japanese citizenship.

Skittl1321
02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
And why would Japan want Mirai? AFAIK, she doesn't have Japanese citizenship.

I think all children of Japanese parents have citizenship, at least until they are 22, then they must choose their citizenship.

But I don't see Mirai skating for them, her Mom wouldn't even let her move a few hours up the road...

UGG
02-14-2012, 09:32 PM
While she probably shouldn't have said that, I still think it was completely uncalled for to jump on her like that. Almost reminds me of bullying tactics...some people really should be ashamed...

I disagree. If you (general you, not you specifically) post openly on the internet like that, don't call the wahhhhhmbulance when you don't like the responses you get back. If you don't want to hear opposing view points, backlash, etc...just don't post online.

Sasha'sSpins
02-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Does anyone really believe that USFS would release Nagasu to skate for Japan? ;)

My pet peeve: The assumption that anyone can take up pairs if they aren't doing well in singles or just on a whim.

^^^
THIS!

kwanette
02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
What is this "death by blade" business? :confused:

A little poetic license on "death by cop"..

berthesghost
02-14-2012, 10:27 PM
While she probably shouldn't have said that, I still think it was completely uncalled for to jump on her like that. Almost reminds me of bullying tactics...some people really should be ashamed...:lol:
"bullying" usually means picking on someone whom you perceive as weaker than you, belittling them for things they can't help... calling them ugly, fat, stupid, etc... oh, IDK, like making fun of skaters who can't score above 90 in an lp when you can :P

generally, calling someone out for mean spirited remarks is not considered "bullying".

Vagabond
02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
My pet peeve is the assumption that Asian-American figure skaters, particularly those who have earned U.S. national championships at the senior level, have some deep and compelling need to forfeit all the support they have earned from United States Figure Skating, sit out two years, and then represent their ancestral homeland. :rolleyes:

RockTheTassel
02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
My pet peeve is the assumption that Asian-American figure skaters, particularly those who have earned U.S. national championships at the senior level, have some deep and compelling need to forfeit all the support they have earned from United States Figure Skating, sit out two years, and then represent their ancestral homeland. :rolleyes:

I think ideas about skating for Japan are from frustrated fans of Mirai who are looking for any kind of change that could potentially help her and bring back the personality and superb skating she was bringing to the ice a couple of years ago. But I agree that the idea of Mirai skating for Japan is unrealistic and unnecessary. Mirai could probably be the top US lady if she really committed to it.

RD
02-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Do people SERIOUSLY think Nagasu would have an easier time in the Japanese field?? :confused:

RD
02-14-2012, 10:47 PM
"bullying" usually means picking on someone whom you perceive as weaker than you, belittling them for things they can't help... calling them ugly, fat, stupid, etc... oh, IDK, like making fun of skaters who can't score above 90 in an lp when you can

generally, calling someone out for mean spirited remarks is not considered "bullying".

CLARIFICATION: I didn't say it WAS bullying. I said it REMINDS me of such tactics.

love_skate2011
02-14-2012, 10:48 PM
I think all children of Japanese parents have citizenship, at least until they are 22, then they must choose their citizenship.

But I don't see Mirai skating for them, her Mom wouldn't even let her move a few hours up the road...

but, for those to obtain their japanese citizeship
she needs to give up her american citizenship.