PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27

kwanatic
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
On one hand, all she did was state the facts. But OTOH, that sounded pretty rich coming from someone who wasn't able to qualify for a trip to the competition. I doubt if she meant it in a mean and negative way (ie. "damn, these girls suck so bad their total scores are 90pts!") but that's how it came across. And whoever brought out the Rachael + Stanford card aimed low and landed a good punch. That might have been the low blow she needed to clue her in to the mistake she made by posting that comment. I'm sure once she saw the backlash of her comment, she realized that it was an inappropriate thing to say and went ahead and removed it. It does make her look bitter/bratty to be criticizing other competitors, even if she could beat them in her sleep. That's a rather classless comment to make and, given her popularity in the figure skating world, she should know better than that...

RD
02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
While she probably shouldn't have said that, I still think it was completely uncalled for to jump on her like that. Almost reminds me of bullying tactics...some people really should be ashamed...

PDilemma
02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
While she probably shouldn't have said that, I still think it was completely uncalled for to jump on her like that. Almost reminds me of bullying tactics...some people really should be ashamed...

It was an unnecessary comment. But such is the beast that is FB and Twitter. I have often seen stuff my teenage cousins post and been quite glad that my teenage stupidity was limited to being heard only by those in the room and not broadcast to a wide audience.

It also occurs to me that when Mirai is competing, she is likely not really paying attention to what the scores of the lower level skaters are. So she may have been unaware that there are skaters scoring that low at major senior events and found it a bit shocking. Now she knows. Hopefully, she won't comment on it again.

victoriaheidi
02-14-2012, 06:32 PM

Can you point to specifics? I feel like the majority of posts I've seen (noting that I've undoubtedly missed some) just say some variation of "that was completely inappropriate and so childish."

os168
02-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Mirai has had an agent (IMG) since she burst on the scene in 07. There is extensive media training at Champs Camp. You learn early on at home that belittling someone, especially in public, is wrong. I love Mirai, she has more natural talent than the rest of the American ladies put together, but something is amiss..Her "death by blade" almost seems intentional..I was more than shocked that she would put that on twitter.

What is this "death by blade" business? :confused:

I am thinking at next Champs Camp they can include

1.) Patrick Chan, joining in as a VIP. He could always do with more training and in turn share experience with others on what not to say based on his many experiences. Usually not his fault despite his best intentions.

2.) They should extend the courses on twitter and social media.

3.) I am glad she is broody but darn it Mirai, you should be up there with the best of them you silly ninny!! Get your act together girl!! You are amazingly talented, but pls focus your ninja stuff squarely at the top of the podium.

RD
02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Isn't this the very reason Caroline Zhang isn't tweeting any more? I remember a similar incident, people pounced on her and that ultimately scared her away. Worst thing about it was, I don't even think it was on the scale of Nagasu's comment...

RD
02-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Can you point to specifics? I feel like the majority of posts I've seen (noting that I've undoubtedly missed some) just say some variation of "that was completely inappropriate and so childish."

I'm referring not to FSU posts, but tweets that were sent out to Nagasu herself in response to that comment. The comment and her replies have since been deleted, though- can't find them any more.

pinky166
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Lol to where? Japan? I'm pretty sure she's of Japanese descent... idt that'd work out so great...

Well with Miki gone, idk, Haruka is not as good as Mirai and she got to go to 4CC this season and last season. Akiko will probably retire soon, Mao and Kanako are not as strong currently as they once were, Miyahara surviving puberty is a big question mark, Shoji's UR issues seem to have gotten worse and her scores are reflecting that, and those are all the top ladies in Japan right now. Mirai might actually have better luck skating for Japan.

Also I remember on a thread some months back talk about Mirai doing pairs. Idk, could be a good move, maybe skating with and having someone else rely on her to deliver could teach her better discipline and training habits. Just a thought. She has the flexibility and considering she tries triple axels without a harness in practice "for fun" she doesn't seem like the fearful type. And with the status of the US pairs, if she found a good partner she could potentially be on a top team in a year or two if she put in the effort. Just throwing it out there.

Sparks
02-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Well with Miki gone, idk, Haruka is not as good as Mirai and she got to go to 4CC this season and last season. Akiko will probably retire soon, Mao and Kanako are not as strong currently as they once were, Miyahara surviving puberty is a big question mark, Shoji's UR issues seem to have gotten worse and her scores are reflecting that, and those are all the top ladies in Japan right now. Mirai might actually have better luck skating for Japan..

Not.

Sylvia
02-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Does anyone really believe that USFS would release Nagasu to skate for Japan? ;)

My pet peeve: The assumption that anyone can take up pairs if they aren't doing well in singles or just on a whim.

IceAlisa
02-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Does anyone really believe that USFS would release Nagasu to skate for Japan? ;)

My pet peeve: The assumption that anyone can take up pairs if they aren't doing well in singles or just on a whim.

Mine too.

pinky166
02-14-2012, 07:50 PM

I meant the pairs option more for discipline purposes, but one of my best friends skates, and at her rink they all joke about making the switch to pairs from singles and when girls do, most of them go from not making it out of regionals/sectionals to qualifying for nationals. The volume of pairs competitors is simply a lot less than that of ladies singles. Plus it's just a matter of numbers, it doesn't matter how good the rest of your skating is, because double jumps are worth so little in comparison to triples, the deficit can't be overcome. A skater with one triple in her arsenal will never be competitive in singles because she'd only be able to do 2 triples in her FS, but this same skater could potentially become a World Champion in pairs because there are so many other elements in those programs and only 2 jumping passes in the FS (one could be the one triple said skater has, the other a double axel). 3t-2t and 2a are enough to do well in pairs, in singles, it will never cut it. It doesn't mean there aren't a whole lot of other skills needed for pairs, not to mention the tremendous bravery and strength one needs for it, but from a jumping standpoint alone, that is the reality.

Sparks
02-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Seriously? For discipline purposes? Mirai has Frank.

Nomad
02-14-2012, 08:02 PM

Mine, too. "She should take up pairs" just makes me roll my eyes. Especially since there are so few guys to pair up with. Just who are thse girls supposed to skate with?

pinky166
02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Seriously? For discipline purposes? Mirai has Frank.

She sure seems to like to frustrate the h*ll out of Frank, though. Their relationship is on the rocks for sure. I bet it's only a matter of time before she leaves him and/or he "fires" her.