PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27

Vagabond
02-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Suppose the country cap was increased from 3 to 5 for individual countries, as long as the skaters were in the 25 SB list. Would it really ruin the championships if there were 5 Russians, 5 Americans and 5 Japanese?

Ruin it? Probably not.

However, the effect would still be to push skaters from other federations farther down the placements and keep them out of the Free Skate. This in turn would probably alienate audiences from other countries other and discourage young people there from taking up the sport. We can see both of these trends happening to tennis in the United States, for example.

I think keeping skaters like the third best U.S. lady and the fourth and fifth best Japanese men out of this year's Worlds, while unfortunate, is a small price to pay for keeping the sport as international as it is.

YMMV.

berthesghost
02-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Yes, I would like a championship like that, but a world championship with the best skaters is clearly too extreme for the ISU and member Federations. True. Because what you are describing is Pro Skating, which the ISU killed. I'm glad that the ISU sticks to it's core root values and continues to have open competitions. I'm frankly troubled by all of this snarking on 4cc skaters who quite frankly aren't even going to worlds. What next, is Nelbelhorn to be cancelled because God forbid the viewing public be subjected to such "not good enough for me!" skating? :lol:

b-man
02-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Ruin it? Probably not.

However, the effect would still be to push skaters from other federations farther down the placements and keep them out of the Free Skate. This in turn would probably alienate audiences from other countries other and discourage young people there from taking up the sport. We can see both of these trends happening to tennis in the United States, for example.

I think keeping skaters like the third best U.S. lady and the fourth and fifth best Japanese men out of this year's Worlds, while unfortunate, is a small price to pay for keeping the sport as international as it is.

YMMV.

If we added around 6 or7 skaters from the SB list, and increased the FS entrants from 24 to 30, it would have minimal effect on the participation of other federations in the FS.

euterpe
02-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Some of the lesser skaters have competed in JGPs and were on the Seasons Best list prior to 4CC. Many of them are American or Canadian skaters who couldn't make it to their respective Nationals and chose to skate for their parents' country of origin. I don't have a problem with that, as they competed for their berths on the JGP and / or 4CC team and won their places fairly.

Vagabond
02-13-2012, 05:42 PM
If we added around 6 or7 skaters from the SB list, and increased the FS entrants from 24 to 30, it would have minimal effect on the participation of other federations in the FS.

Not really. Those six or seven (in Ladies, presumably American, Russian, and Japanese) skaters would take up the six additional spots in the Free Skate and, because also make it much harder for other federations (like Canada, China, Finland, France, Italy, and Sweden) to gain a second (or third) spot. After that, the trend would likely be for those federations to back one skater in each discipline at the expense of their second, third, fourth, and fifth best skaters (who would at times include some very good skaters along the lines of Kiira Korpi, Valentina Marchei, and Cynthia Phaneuf). Again, it means weakening the strength of the sport internationally.

ETA: Assuming that under your proposed system there would still be a Preliminary Round, there would be yet more repercussions, namely more skaters' never making it to the Short Program. So, not only might there be a Ladies' Free Skate without any Canadian, French, or South Korean skaters, there might be a Ladies' Short Program like that too! :yikes:

pinky166
02-13-2012, 11:47 PM
I'd say it's "elitist" not "controversial". 4cc is suppose to be comparable to euros, and half of the ladies there failed to score 90+ in the lp, so....:shuffle:

There were plenty of ladies at Euros of the same caliber. Unless you're from a country like the US, Japan, Russia, and a handful of other countries, the qualifying standards for competitions like 4CC and Euros are generally MUCH lower. Or sometimes you'll see a country with one very talented entrant (Georgia, Italy, etc) that is not representative of the skating of said nation at all. If Mirai is so bitter she should find a way to switch representation...

johndockley92
02-14-2012, 12:04 AM
There were plenty of ladies at Euros of the same caliber. Unless you're from a country like the US, Japan, Russia, and a handful of other countries, the qualifying standards for competitions like 4CC and Euros are generally MUCH lower. Or sometimes you'll see a country with one very talented entrant (Georgia, Italy, etc) that is not representative of the skating of said nation at all. If Mirai is so bitter she should find a way to switch representation...

Lol to where? Japan? I'm pretty sure she's of Japanese descent... idt that'd work out so great...

mag
02-14-2012, 12:06 AM
... If Mirai is so bitter she should find a way to switch representation...

If Mirai is so bitter perhaps she should look at her training and preparation for Nationals, set some clear goals for next year, and then work towards making sure she is on the 4CC's team in 2013. Mirai only has herself to blame for not being on that team. I realize she is young, but she is not too young to be taking responsibility for her own training and her own results.

UGG
02-14-2012, 12:58 AM
I don't know why mirai gets a free pass from so many people. She should not have posted that tweet. Would that be acceptable from Michelle? Sasha? Even Caroline or Rachel? i don't think so.

ChibiChibi
02-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Since 13th finish Ricky was selected to go to 4CC over 4th finish Armin, perhaps Mirai thinks she should have been selected over 4th finish Caroline...?? :shuffle:

Regardless, I thought her original comment was rude and bad taste especially she knows some of those lower ranked skaters who train Southern California area.

b-man
02-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Not really. Those six or seven (in Ladies, presumably American, Russian, and Japanese) skaters would take up the six additional spots in the Free Skate and, because also make it much harder for other federations (like Canada, China, Finland, France, Italy, and Sweden) to gain a second (or third) spot. After that, the trend would likely be for those federations to back one skater in each discipline at the expense of their second, third, fourth, and fifth best skaters (who would at times include some very good skaters along the lines of Kiira Korpi, Valentina Marchei, and Cynthia Phaneuf). Again, it means weakening the strength of the sport internationally.

ETA: Assuming that under your proposed system there would still be a Preliminary Round, there would be yet more repercussions, namely more skaters' never making it to the Short Program. So, not only might there be a Ladies' Free Skate without any Canadian, French, or South Korean skaters, there might be a Ladies' Short Program like that too! :yikes:

Instead of finding innumerable ways why things cannot be improved for figure skating fans, why not devote some thought to ways where more top skaters can be in the so called "World Championships".

I am considering spending the !,300+ Canadian dollars to attend only one event, the ladies singles, in 2013. By another genius marketing tool, to attend practices, I must buy all session tickets, even if I don't want to attend pairs or dance. For this significant expenditure, I would expect to see, at a "World Championship," all the best skaters in the world. I want to see the Zhangs and Nagasus' if they are in the SB 25. I want to see the age eligible Russian wonderbabies if they are in the top 25, but I know I will see only half at most. I also enjoy the skaters from France, Canada, and Korea, but my primary interest is the top 25. By any critical analysis, attending worlds would be a foolish expendidture. Not only is it a lot of money, but I would not be getting what I want to see. Many sports showcase and market their top atheletes, not do everything in their power to insure the major championship of the sport will only have maybe half of the top competitors.

b-man
02-14-2012, 02:41 AM
I don't know why mirai gets a free pass from so many people. She should not have posted that tweet. Would that be acceptable from Michelle? Sasha? Even Caroline or Rachel? i don't think so.

I think at least half a dozen people have already criticised her behavior in this thread. If you want to pile on, go ahead. I won't.

os168
02-14-2012, 02:56 AM
Come on people need to give Mirai a break. She is of the Social media generation. Have we all not said something we deeply regret when we were 18 and fickle minded? It is all part of the growing up process and I doubt she received proper media training yet.

I am sure she learnt from her mistakes, and yes she is CLEARLY in the wrong and I bet her management (mum) gave her bl**dy hell already.

Whats with the training situation? Is she coming back next year and still with Frank?

Vagabond
02-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Instead of finding innumerable ways why things cannot be improved for figure skating fans, why not devote some thought to ways where more top skaters can be in the so called "World Championships".

How did the U.S. develop its strength in Ice Dance? How did China develop its strength in Pairs? What has Elvis Stojko been doing in Mexico? And what are people like Albena Denkova and the Siudeks trying to do in their own countries?

You build more rinks and bring in (or develop) coaches to develop young talent, and, sometimes, you send them abroad to hone their skills.

Maybe Marai Nagasu (whom I like, BTW, even if she is not without her faults) would like to go work somewhere like South Africa or Singapore so that one day that country's representatives will be in the medal hunt at Four Continents. It would be better than belittling their accomplishments.

kwanette
02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Come on people need to give Mirai a break. She is of the Social media generation. Have we all not said something we deeply regret when we were 18 and fickle minded? It is all part of the growing up process and I doubt she received proper media training yet.

I am sure she learnt from her mistakes, and yes she is CLEARLY in the wrong and I bet her management (mum) gave her bl**dy hell already.

Whats with the training situation? Is she coming back next year and still with Frank?

Mirai has had an agent (IMG) since she burst on the scene in 07. There is extensive media training at Champs Camp. You learn early on at home that belittling someone, especially in public, is wrong. I love Mirai, she has more natural talent than the rest of the American ladies put together, but something is amiss..Her "death by blade" almost seems intentional..I was more than shocked that she would put that on twitter.