PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27

AndyWarhol
02-13-2012, 01:20 AM
it is interesting when skaters show some personality. bit mean though.

FiveRinger
02-13-2012, 01:35 AM
This is an example of why we all need to careful about we send out there in cyber-space. Messages get misconstrued all of the time. I, personally, this is all being blown out of proportion. However, when you are on Twitter, Facebook, (and even this message board) etc. you open yourself up to all kinds of comments, criticism, etc. Hopefully, Mirai will keep that in mind when she makes her posts.

IceAlisa
02-13-2012, 01:47 AM
She should be careful about what she says.

mag
02-13-2012, 02:42 AM
She reminds me a bit of some other 18 to 20 year old skaters who say what is on their mind without thinking about the consequences. People either find it refreshingly honest, rude, condescending or ....

Twitter is a terrible thing IMHO. All it does is expose to the world our worst manners. Of course, teenagers now (lord I feel old!) in general, don't seem to have the same concerns with how the world at large sees them. I think that is probably both a good and a bad thing.

Wyliefan
02-13-2012, 03:03 AM
Of course, a lot of people think Johnny's adorable when he snipes at other skaters. No wonder Mirai thinks she can get away with it. . . . :shuffle:

victoriaheidi
02-13-2012, 03:11 AM
She reminds me a bit of some other 18 to 20 year old skaters who say what is on their mind without thinking about the consequences. People either find it refreshingly honest, rude, condescending or ....

Twitter is a terrible thing IMHO. All it does is expose to the world our worst manners. Of course, teenagers now (lord I feel old!) in general, don't seem to have the same concerns with how the world at large sees them. I think that is probably both a good and a bad thing.

We aren't all this way. I don't even know how to use twitter and I DO care about my image.

RockTheTassel
02-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Of course, a lot of people think Johnny's adorable when he snipes at other skaters. No wonder Mirai thinks she can get away with it. . . . :shuffle:

I don't know about that. Johnny's gotten criticism for his remarks, too. Plus, his comments are often about more trivial things, which is different from belittling the ability of skaters who don't have the same privileges the US skaters have.

Vagabond
02-13-2012, 03:29 AM
I'm sure they are, but that doesn't mean that level of skating belongs at a top-tier championship event...This is just my personal opinion, and I realize that it is a controversial issue.

Do you realize that the ISU is an umbrella organization made up of member federations from around the world? It isn't like the professional tennis players' associations, which is made up of individual sports professionals and where tournaments commonly have very large contingents from some countries (like Russia at the moment) and none from others.

Why shouldn't those federations be able to send their best athletes to the championship events? That's the way it's done in many other individual sports that are organized around national federations. Or do you think figure skating is in any way special in this regard.

ETA: Systematically excluding smaller federations from championships might well cause the IOC to re-consider including figure skating in the Olympics. Among the criteria for a sport's inclusion in the Olympics is the number of countries with member federations. I don't know if there's any specific consideration given to whether the federations can freely send at least one participant to the championship events, but it very well might be if the need arose.

mag
02-13-2012, 04:54 AM
We aren't all this way. I don't even know how to use twitter and I DO care about my image.

I realize that. That is why I said "in general." My teenager isn't that why either. Some of her friends, on the other hand, don't seem to care one bit about what people think of them. I suspect it has always been that way, but now, with the advent of social networking sites, it is easier to make an a$$ of yourself in front of the whole world. Kind of a hard lesson for someone like Mirai to learn.

victoriaheidi
02-13-2012, 06:23 AM
I realize that. That is why I said "in general." My teenager isn't that why either. Some of her friends, on the other hand, don't seem to care one bit about what people think of them. I suspect it has always been that way, but now, with the advent of social networking sites, it is easier to make an a$$ of yourself in front of the whole world. Kind of a hard lesson for someone like Mirai to learn.

Oh, yes, I know those types. Some of them have really embarrassed themselves, big-time.

b-man
02-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Do you realize that the ISU is an umbrella organization made up of member federations from around the world? It isn't like the professional tennis players' associations, which is made up of individual sports professionals and where tournaments commonly have very large contingents from some countries (like Russia at the moment) and none from others.

Why shouldn't those federations be able to send their best athletes to the championship events? That's the way it's done in many other individual sports that are organized around national federations. Or do you think figure skating is in any way special in this regard.

ETA: Systematically excluding smaller federations from championships might well cause the IOC to re-consider including figure skating in the Olympics. Among the criteria for a sport's inclusion in the Olympics is the number of countries with member federations. I don't know if there's any specific consideration given to whether the federations can freely send at least one participant to the championship events, but it very well might be if the need arose.

I think most realize the ISU championships have entrants from many federations, large and small. What many don't like is having a so called championship where many of the top contenders can't participate, while many skaters with lesser skills will participate. Neither you nor I want to exclude entrants from smaller federations with few facilities. But to have a championship with meaning, skaters in the top 25 seasons best list should all be participating. We get around that in part by sending some to junior worlds. But there are still quite a number in the top 25 who won't qualify for junior or senior worlds. I note Ms Zhang of the US is currently 9th in the season's best list, but she won't be in Nice. Ms Nagasu is 10th on the SB list, and was 3rd on the list last year, but won't be at world's either year. It only diminishes a so called championship when skaters in the top 10 cannot compete. I note that Russia currently has 8 in the top 25, the US 6 and Japan 5. Some will be at junior worlds and some will sit home. If you have people in the top 10 who are not eligible, and are sitting home, then your so called championship isn't really a championship. That also is a reason it is much easier to find tennis on TV, and hard to find skating.

Vagabond
02-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Entire post

If you want a World Championships structured like that, you need to have a governing body organized by the athletes themselves. Otherwise, you're expect a bunch of national federations to sit back while their own skaters get shunted aside. For Ladies' Singles, that means mostly teenaged girls, almost none of whom would ever be able to finance their own touring and training costs, let alone the organization's overhead, that would be involved in something like this.

Leaving aside the Junior/Senior issue, the Top 25 of the current Ladies' Season's Best List (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtslto.htm) includes eight Russians, six Americans, five Japanese, two Chinese, an Italian, a Finn, a Georgian, and a Swede. If you set up a World Championship like that this season, it would effectively mean that the top skaters from Canada (currently 33rd on the list), France (38th), and South Korea (41st) -- all of which are significant markets for figure skating -- would have no shot of making the Free Skate! Is that really what you want? And do you really expect Canadians, French, and South Koreans to watch a Free Skate when they have no countrywomen to root for?

AndyWarhol
02-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Every country who is apart of the ISU has the right to send skaters. It encourages skaters from "developing skating countries" to improve. Someone has to come last. Maybe with some time, these 90 point scorers WILL improve. They aren't going to improve staying home and skating around their home rink with other less than fantastic skaters.

Sasha'sSpins
02-13-2012, 09:05 AM
:rolleyes: Are you done yet? You've been spitting venom at Mirai for a while now.

@Sasha...thank you. I couldn't remember which one it was and I'm glad you, at least, got my point. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about Eddie Edwards. Do you remember him?

Yes I do! Eddie the Eagle! :D

It is unfortunate when skaters like Mirai are left home-but she had her chance, a very good chance to make her country's team and didn't. Athletes from developing countries deserve a chance too. They may not have the history such as in the U.S. but they've got to start somewhere.

b-man
02-13-2012, 04:36 PM
If you want a World Championships structured like that, you need to have a governing body organized by the athletes themselves. Otherwise, you're expect a bunch of national federations to sit back while their own skaters get shunted aside. For Ladies' Singles, that means mostly teenaged girls, almost none of whom would ever be able to finance their own touring and training costs, let alone the organization's overhead, that would be involved in something like this.

Leaving aside the Junior/Senior issue, the Top 25 of the current Ladies' Season's Best List (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtslto.htm) includes eight Russians, six Americans, five Japanese, two Chinese, an Italian, a Finn, a Georgian, and a Swede. If you set up a World Championship like that this season, it would effectively mean that the top skaters from Canada (currently 33rd on the list), France (38th), and South Korea (41st) -- all of which are significant markets for figure skating -- would have no shot of making the Free Skate! Is that really what you want? And do you really expect Canadians, French, and South Koreans to watch a Free Skate when they have no countrywomen to root for?

Yes, I would like a championship like that, but a world championship with the best skaters is clearly too extreme for the ISU and member Federations. Then are you saying no adjustment could be made to make the Worlds a better championship with more of the better skaters eligible. Suppose the age rule remains in effect, and the junior /senior difference stays. Suppose the country cap was increased from 3 to 5 for individual countries, as long as the skaters were in the 25 SB list. Would it really ruin the championships if there were 5 Russians, 5 Americans and 5 Japanese? I think it would be a much more exciting event. The number qualifying for the SP, and free skate could be increased to accomidate those entrants qualifying from the SB list, so Canada, France and Korea would not be slighted. It would be a much better event for spectators, better for TV, and a true World Championship.