PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RD
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Wow Mirai. I love her but, she should be careful about what she says on Twitter. It's one thing for just any kid her age to say those things, but being an elite figure skater, a lot of people are following her on twitter...and those comments just make her sound like a brat. Although whoever said the thing regarding Rachael shouldn't have provoked her like that.

There lies the dilemma. While I saw a few responses to the tweet that were completely uncalled for, I wonder if Nagasu wasn't anticipating such a harsh reaction to what probably seemed to her like an innocent tweet. I don't think it was nearly as big a deal as some think, but still, when you're important enough to be Twitter-verified and you have such a large following like that (I think she has over 17k followers)- you really have to think before you tweet (or at least anticipate the backlash). Ashton Kutcher found out the hard way a few months ago.

IceAlisa
02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
OK, so what WAS the tweet in question as well as the responses?

Mayra
02-12-2012, 10:01 PM
OK, so what WAS the tweet in question as well as the responses?
In regards to the ladies 4CC's FS:

Mirai's original tweet: Omg these girls are scoring 90 points total...smh

Apparently a few took a offense to that(the smh didn't help) and tweeted a few barbs of their own.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3479914&postcount=252

Jammers
02-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Mirai is acting like a brat at the moment. If she doesn't get it together by Sochi i don't see her sticking around till 2018. And even if she does there are so many good skaters that will be coming up in the next 4-5 years she will be left in the dust considering her work ethic and mental state.

Sasha'sSpins
02-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Mirai is acting like a brat at the moment. If she doesn't get it together by Sochi i don't see her sticking around till 2018. And even if she does there are so many good skaters that will be coming up in the next 4-5 years she will be left in the dust considering her work ethic and mental state.

How can anyone know for sure what Mirai's 'mental state' is to even consider it?:confused:

berthesghost
02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
She's got a point though. It's a CHAMPIONSHIP event and we have skaters failing to score 100 pointsIMO it was a petty high school mean girl snob thing to say, and particularly rich coming from someone who couldn't even qualify for said event. Spoiled grapes.

bek
02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
She's got a point though. It's a CHAMPIONSHIP event and we have skaters failing to score 100 TOTAL points.

Still, I don't think it was the best move for her to say that given how bad it looks/how it might be interpreted by others/that it would open her up to sharp criticism, some of which she got (and responded to). You know, unless she's using the hate messages as motivation- many athletes do that- I can't see how this is helping her. After all, the best way to silence critics is to prove them wrong, like Wagner and Zhang just did

She may have a point but many of those skaters have not had the same access to training and coaches that Nagasu has had. Nagasu has one of the best coaches in the world.. Plus many of those skaters are doing their absolute BEST and maybe their best is just about 100 points total. In contrast can Mirai say she's done her absolute best this year?

FiveRinger
02-12-2012, 10:23 PM

:rolleyes: Are you done yet? You've been spitting venom at Mirai for a while now.

@Sasha...thank you. I couldn't remember which one it was and I'm glad you, at least, got my point. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about Eddie Edwards. Do you remember him?

victoriaheidi
02-12-2012, 10:25 PM
IMO it was a petty high school mean girl snob thing to say, and particularly rich coming from someone who couldn't even qualify for said event. Spoiled grapes.

Yeah. I just don't think it's fair to the skaters from places where skating isn't a big deal. Like, they're definitely trying.

RD
02-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah. I just don't think it's fair to the skaters from places where skating isn't a big deal. Like, they're definitely trying.

I'm sure they are, but that doesn't mean that level of skating belongs at a top-tier championship event...This is just my personal opinion, and I realize that it is a controversial issue.

doubleflutz
02-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm sure they are, but that doesn't mean that level of skating belongs at a top-tier championship event...This is just my personal opinion, and I realize that it is a controversial issue.

The ISU disagrees with you. It's not "controversial" at all.

triple_toe
02-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Regardless, a true sportswoman never publicly belittles her competitors, even those who are much lower-ranked. I am really surprised that the USFSA and its coaches have not drilled this into the mind of one of their top prospects, but obviously, they have not. :wall:

This, so much. It *was* rude, and there was no need for it. I'm not going to say she's a brat, I don't know her, but this specific comment certainly doesn't reflect well on her. Jeez, I remember the major uproar that ensued when Ashley said Nationals was her's to lose, and that was much less inflammatory.

victoriaheidi
02-12-2012, 10:54 PM
This, so much. It *was* rude, and there was no need for it. I'm not going to say she's a brat, I don't know her, but this specific comment certainly doesn't reflect well on her. Jeez, I remember the major uproar that ensued when Ashley said Nationals was her's to lose, and that was much less inflammatory.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. I don't really see a reason to not invite developing programs to send their skaters to Championships, but that's a side issue. Mirai should have the good sense to not tweet disrespectful comments about ANYONE.

triple_toe
02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Although we probably all know it by now, I'd just like to bring up the story of Bin Yao's performances at worlds. These kids are all trying their best, and Mirai would be better served getting pissed off and working her butt off to get back there next year than making catty comments on twitter.

berthesghost
02-13-2012, 01:13 AM
I'm sure they are, but that doesn't mean that level of skating belongs at a top-tier championship event...This is just my personal opinion, and I realize that it is a controversial issue.I'd say it's "elitist" not "controversial". 4cc is suppose to be comparable to euros, and half of the ladies there failed to score 90+ in the lp, so....:shuffle: