PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

FiveRinger
02-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Mirai's original tweet: Omg these girls are scoring 90 points total...smh

I am trying to figure out the big deal. She stated a fact. I don't think that was supposed to be an attack against anyone. There are some people who wait for others to make the slightest misstep or say something that can be taken out of context to pounce. And seeing that one of them was in his sixties sparring with teenager is just silly.

DickButtonFan
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
She's only 18, she's going to say stupid things sometimes without thinking. As far as her skating, I'll think she'll get it together eventually. Many of these ladies are getting better into their 20s. She still has time if she wants it. Being 18 can be a difficult stage in life.

winterone
02-12-2012, 02:00 PM
She's only 18, she's going to say stupid things sometimes without thinking. As far as her skating, I'll think she'll get it together eventually. Many of these ladies are getting better into their 20s. She still has time if she wants it. Being 18 can be a difficult stage in life.

Difficult stage in her life? More like the crossroads. Frank is about done with her, Mom should be on the "SKATING MOM'S" reality show. Mirai is so full of herself that she has to bad mouth skaters from other countries. She needs an intervention. Unfortunately the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. This is what happens when your Mom is nutz and you are not smart enough to figure it out for yourself.

Vagabond
02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
She's got a point though. It's a CHAMPIONSHIP event and we have skaters failing to score 100 TOTAL points.

But the point isn't a valid one. These skaters are the best their Federations have, and they all met the (fairly low) qualifying TES marks in international competition. To expect them to suddenly step up from their qualifying scores and earn 140 points is silly. And Nagasu must know this. She competed at Four Continents last year!

Some of these skaters are simply Americans or Canadians who could never make their national teams, but Lejeane Marais, the twenty-second-place finisher, is a full-time architecture student and has spent her career training in South Africa (no great bastion of figure skating) supplemented only by occasional short trips overseas.

If Marais had grown up in Southern California and had access to the coaches there, maybe she would have finished higher than Nagasu at this year's Nationals and even medalled at Four Continents. Who knows?

Regardless, a true sportswoman never publicly belittles her competitors, even those who are much lower-ranked. I am really surprised that the USFSA and its coaches have not drilled this into the mind of one of their top prospects, but obviously, they have not. :wall:

RD
02-12-2012, 05:29 PM
^ Then the minimum qualifying score should be raised. This is a championship event- it's about having the BEST. If a country lacks skaters good enough to reach the minimum score, too bad.

I mean, the difference in skill level between group 1 and group 4 was ASTONISHING. I still say the minimum total score should be ~120. Perhaps 110 at the lowest.

haribobo
02-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I mean, the difference in skill level between group 1 and group 4 was ASTONISHING. I still say the minimum total score should be ~120. Perhaps 110 at the lowest.

I don't really disagree, but what's interesting is that this would have disqualified skaters like Alexandra Najarro who only managed 104 at her JGP event. Canada would've been forced to send DeSanctis or Charbonneau. Although given the way Alexandra tends to skate internationally, this may not have been a bad thing...

Sasha'sSpins
02-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Difficult stage in her life? More like the crossroads. Frank is about done with her, Mom should be on the "SKATING MOM'S" reality show. Mirai is so full of herself that she has to bad mouth skaters from other countries. She needs an intervention. Unfortunately the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. This is what happens when your Mom is nutz and you are not smart enough to figure it out for yourself.

That's a way harsh thing to say about someone's mother whom you don't even know. What proof do you have that Mrs. Nagasu is 'nutz' in order to insult her in such a way?

Mirai seems very close to her mom. I remember her remarks during her mother's cancer scare. Pure admiration.

Whether Nagasu is in a 'difficult place' or 'at a crossroads' is neither here nor there. None of us know for sure what is going on in Mirai's daily life. She may overcome her current slump, or she may not. The next 2 years will tell. I've said it before and I'll say it again-I'm not giving up on a teenager least of all a clearly talented one at that.

The Fly On The Wall
02-12-2012, 05:49 PM
^ Then the minimum qualifying score should be raised. This is a championship event- it's about having the BEST. If a country lacks skaters good enough to reach the minimum score, too bad.

And they are the BEST their countries have to offer. I bet this was their own Olympics. If what it takes to build a skating program in some of these countries is seeing one of their own compete in a "big" event like this, then so be it. This is affecting you how?

FiveRinger
02-12-2012, 06:52 PM
And they are the BEST their countries have to offer. I bet this was their own Olympics. If what it takes to build a skating program in some of these countries is seeing one of their own compete in a "big" event like this, then so be it. This is affecting you how?

Thank you.....I can't remember if it was the Olympic oath or not.....what passage is it hat says that it's not about winning or losing but about mere participation in a sport? Because we all know that everyone who participates is not going to win. It reminds me of the swimmer at the Olympics a few years ago that finished the race a LONG time after everyone else, but because he was from a country that didn't have swimmers everyone applauded when he finished because they respected the EFFORT

falling_dance
02-12-2012, 07:03 PM
And they are the BEST their countries have to offer. I bet this was their own Olympics. If what it takes to build a skating program in some of these countries is seeing one of their own compete in a "big" event like this, then so be it.

I agree with this.

Also, I'd hate to see skaters with the presentation skills of Marais and Kerry totally miss out on competing in a senior-level ISU championship. The much-derided first group certainly wasn't all bad.

Proustable
02-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Regardless, a true sportswoman never publicly belittles her competitors, even those who are much lower-ranked. I am really surprised that the USFSA and its coaches have not drilled this into the mind of one of their top prospects, but obviously, they have not. :wall:

Thank you. It's hard not to read it as belittling them.

Someone pointed out in response that she couldn't beat Flatt at her own Nationals despite Flatt's split focus. This is a fact. For her, that was an insult. How is her comment any less insulting?

pinky166
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Wow Mirai. I love her but, she should be careful about what she says on Twitter. It's one thing for just any kid her age to say those things, but being an elite figure skater, a lot of people are following her on twitter...and those comments just make her sound like a brat. Although whoever said the thing regarding Rachael shouldn't have provoked her like that.

Mayra
02-12-2012, 08:20 PM
I am trying to figure out the big deal. She stated a fact. I don't think that was supposed to be an attack against anyone. There are some people who wait for others to make the slightest misstep or say something that can be taken out of context to pounce.

It wasn't an attack, but the comment was in bad taste. It is a petty comment, and totally beneath a skater of her level, let alone a young woman her age.

modern_muslimah
02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Maybe Mirai should make her tweets private so that we don't dissect them to death. The initial tweet was stupid but much of the reactions don't seem much better.

Personally, this is the reason why I post very little on Twitter and FB. There is always the potential for drama.

Sasha'sSpins
02-12-2012, 09:05 PM

I remember the story of the Chinese coach who as a pairs skater was laughed at along with his partner because they looked shall we say less refined than skaters from the then power countries. Look at China now.

Thank you.....I can't remember if it was the Olympic oath or not.....what passage is it hat says that it's not about winning or losing but about mere participation in a sport? Because we all know that everyone who participates is not going to win. It reminds me of the swimmer at the Olympics a few years ago that finished the race a LONG time after everyone else, but because he was from a country that didn't have swimmers everyone applauded when he finished because they respected the EFFORT

You are close-it comes from the Olympic Creed:

Olympic Facts (http://history1900s.about.com/od/greateventsofthecentury/a/olympicfacts.htm)

The Olympic Creed

Pierre de Coubertin got the idea for this phrase from a speech given by Bishop Ethelbert Talbot at a service for Olympic champions during the 1908 Olympic Games.

The Olympic Creed reads: "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

The Olympic Oath
Pierre de Coubertin wrote an oath for the athletes to recite at each Olympic Games. During the opening ceremonies, one athlete recites the oath on behalf of all the athletes. The Olympic oath was first taken during the 1920 Olympic Games by Belgian fencer Victor Boin.

The Olympic Oath states, "In the name of all competitors, I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules that govern them, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams."

The Olympic Motto
In 1921, Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympic Games, borrowed a Latin phrase from his friend, Father Henri Didon, for the Olympic motto: Citius, Altius, Fortius ("Swifter, Higher, Stronger").

Perhaps remembering the late Baron's Olympic creed would help some keep things in perspective. The Olympics is not exclusively for the power countries of the world or for countries who seem to produce exceptional athletes in certain sports (i.e. distance runners from Africa, Nordic skiers/speedskaters and so on). That is not what the Olympics are ultimately about. It's not meant to be some elitist club for the lucky few-otherwise charming personalities (imo) like the Jamaican bobsledders wouldn't have been allowed to compete. Or that shy young man who struggled across the pool in an event he was clearly not too well-trained for-although I'm sure he trained the best he could. I remember another athlete (Middle Eastern I think) making his way through the snow in one of those snowshoe/pole events (not sure what the sport is called). He was last and yet he stood smiling at the end with the gold medallist who towered over him and was clearly far better trained for the event. I also remember a very old story about 'Felix the Fourth' Carvajal, a Cuban postman who decided to run in the 1904 Olympic marathon.
http://www.worldsstrangest.com/mental-floss/wacky-tales-from-olympics-past/ His story is rather humorous as many believe he would have won if he hadn't stopped to chat to spectators, eat peaches, etc. along the marathon route! He had no training, he made some friends on the American team who cut his pants off but they could do nothing about his shoes. And yet with no training, nor the proper equipment, Felix still beat better-trained athletes to finish just out of the medals-in fourth. My point being that the Olympics aren't just about winning-there are human interest stories too, some that can even touch the heart-for me anyway.

Thank goodness the good Father was around to lend his words to Baron de Coubertin. The late Baron's heart was buried in a monument by ancient Olympic. I think that's nice to know. Appropriate. :cool: