PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

eurodance2001
02-12-2012, 05:29 AM
No she doesn't. I'm sure she felt good telling off all the arm-chair critics that are throwing their barbs at her.

She should be training or doing something she actually wants to be doing instead of responding to the barbs..

berthesghost
02-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Well, watching a comp on tv that you medaled in last year while snarking on twitter about the others' low scores doesn't exactly scream "I'm in a good place right now"

eurodance2001
02-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Well, watching a comp on tv that you medaled in last year while snarking on twitter about the others' low scores doesn't exactly scream "I'm in a good place right now"

ITA! Thank you...

modern_muslimah
02-12-2012, 06:09 AM
She should be training or doing something she actually wants to be doing instead of responding to the barbs..

Sorry but I don't understand these types of comments (and Mirai hasn't been the only skater these types of comments have been directed at). No skater is going to train 24/7. How is making a tweet on a Saturday evening affecting her skating or her life (would she even be training on a Saturday evening?)? Should skaters have no life at all outside of figure skating? Sheesh!

As for her prior tweet about the skaters' combined scores, that wasn't nice and rather immature.

eurodance2001
02-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Sorry but I don't understand these types of comments (and Mirai hasn't been the only skater these types of comments have been directed at). No skater is going to train 24/7. How is making a tweet on a Saturday evening affecting her skating or her life (would she even be training on a Saturday evening?)? Should skaters have no life at all outside of figure skating? Sheesh!

As for her prior tweet about the skaters' combined scores, that wasn't nice and rather immature.

The mentality is what I was referring to; I KNOW no one will be skating 24/7.

modern_muslimah
02-12-2012, 06:15 AM
The mentality is what I was referring to; I KNOW no one will be skating 24/7.

What mentality? Mirai has her issues but I'm trying to understand how responding to a tweet is indicative of a "mentality". Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Anita18
02-12-2012, 06:25 AM
And this is why young famous people should not have Facebook and ESPECIALLY Twitter, because everyone can bother you there. :shuffle:

It does sound like typical 18-y-o stuff to me, but even at that age my mother would have smacked me for wasting my mental energy on such things AND making myself look bratty in the process.

victoriaheidi
02-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Well, you could argue that it's getting in the way of a social life. Even watching TV or going to the movies or reading a book would be more productive.

Wyliefan
02-12-2012, 06:33 AM
Well, we could all be reading a book right now. . . . :) I agree that Mirai could be doing much more productive things with her time and energy, but it's her life.

berthesghost
02-12-2012, 06:45 AM
What mentality? Mirai has her issues but I'm trying to understand how responding to a tweet is indicative of a "mentality". Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.Mirai has "fought back" on twitter before, and coupled with her team's open discussion in interviews on how she lets obsessing over minor criticisms derail her training, I'd say this cigar is looking very dirty right now. :lol:

triple_toe
02-12-2012, 07:03 AM
I'm confused, what was her original tweet about low-scoring skaters?

RD
02-12-2012, 07:17 AM
She's got a point though. It's a CHAMPIONSHIP event and we have skaters failing to score 100 TOTAL points.

Still, I don't think it was the best move for her to say that given how bad it looks/how it might be interpreted by others/that it would open her up to sharp criticism, some of which she got (and responded to). You know, unless she's using the hate messages as motivation- many athletes do that- I can't see how this is helping her. After all, the best way to silence critics is to prove them wrong, like Wagner and Zhang just did

Sasha'sSpins
02-12-2012, 08:24 AM

I saw it briefly but then I think she deleted it. Something about the 'bottom skaters' scoring only in the 90 point range. A couple of people tweeted back to her, one took a 'Rachael Flatt' swipe at her, another said Dick Button should spank her for making such a remark or something to that affect.

victoriaheidi
02-12-2012, 09:47 AM
She's got a point though. It's a CHAMPIONSHIP event and we have skaters failing to score 100 TOTAL points.

Still, I don't think it was the best move for her to say that given how bad it looks/how it might be interpreted by others/that it would open her up to sharp criticism, some of which she got (and responded to). You know, unless she's using the hate messages as motivation- many athletes do that- I can't see how this is helping her. After all, the best way to silence critics is to prove them wrong, like Wagner and Zhang just did

Agreed. I think the way Mirai got people to shut up about her subpar Nats 2011 was by winning her 4CCs bronze, no? So maybe she should look at that as an example.

brilliant9
02-12-2012, 09:52 AM

Mirai's original tweet: Omg these girls are scoring 90 points total...smh