PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

kwanatic
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Maybe Caroline's medal at Nationals this year will light a fire under Mirai's butt. They were always competing against each other growing up, and Mirai often practices at the rink in Artesia where Caroline trains, so maybe that will refuel her competitive spirit. I also think somebody should introduce Mirai to hypnotherapy and meditation. She needs help controlling her mind, and it looks like just repeating positive things to herself out loud isn't cutting it. Whether she has the motivation or discipline to do those things is up to her, of course.

Given that this has been her problem for so long, you'd think by now she'd have already consulted with some kind of sports psychologist. If she hasn't yet, I'm wondering what she's waiting on; if she has, she might need to find a better one.

Judging from the practice reports leading up to nationals, Mirai was ready. Granted her programs left a lot to be desired, she was doing well with her jumps. The fact that she went out there and froze screams of mental toughness issues. Mirai has a looong break before she'll have to compete again. My dream checklist for Mirai is as follows:

- Reassess training situation: the four-hour commute to and from practice isn't good. She's losing way too much time in the car...

- Reassess coaching situation: Frank is a tried and true coach, but that doesn't mean he'll work for everyone. She's learned some things under Frank but, IMO, the Mirai-Frank relationship has reached its end. She's not progressing...she's stagnant. She seems to enjoy her time with Arturnian. Maybe she should switch to him full-time.

- Seek out a different choreographer: Lori hasn't lost her touch completely (see Mao or Carolina's programs for proof) but for the past two seasons Mirai's programs have ranged from halfway decent to just downright awful. Mirai needs music that enhances her personality, not stifles it to the point she looks like a zombie. It's time for someone new...new music, new movement, a new feel...time to shake it up.

- Conditioning: Caroline is all the inspiration she needs! Mirai isn't overweight by any means, but she can tone up. She looked more fit at nationals than she did in November, but she should continue to work on her conditioning.

- Take a seat on the couch: Find a sports psychologist, a hypnotist, a shaman with a magic stick, a pixie with fairy dust, anything to help her get a grip on her mind when she skates. The excuse of being artistic/emotional sounded plausible when she was 15 and 16, but it's a bad excuse at age 19/20. She needs to get to the root of her insecurity/doubt/negativity and address it. She'll never reach her potential if she doesn't...

Mirai has work to do but she can do it if she puts her mind to it...:)

winterone
02-09-2012, 10:37 PM
When it comes to motivation and desire to win, Mirai is cooking with Wood when too many of the up and comers are cooking with GAS. Can you SPELL GOLD?

VALuvsMKwan
02-09-2012, 10:39 PM
When it comes to motivation and desire to win, Mirai is cooking with Wood when too many of the up and comers are cooking with GAS. Can you SPELL GOLD?

Can you spell PLONK?

Sasha'sSpins
02-10-2012, 01:50 AM
A user on Golden forums, KKonas mentioned speaking to Frank today (obviously no way to tell how reliable this report is) but per KKonas: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?36163-What-s-Next-For-Mirai-II
(Quote from KKonas on GF)

"Spoke to Frank today. Says Mirai has decision to make re her future. Offered to find a family for her to live with near his rink but mom won't allow. Told her there were other coaches near LA. He would help her any way he could but she needs to decide what she wants."

I think staying with a family while training with Frank is a great idea but-(if this report is true)-it's unfortunate that her mom would stand in Mirai's way. She's 18 now and not a baby. I hope Nagasu can figure out what she truly wants and follows her heart. I hope it's pursuing her skating career, coming back even stronger but if not then I hope she finds what truly makes her happy.

It sounds like Frank is quite ready to let her go if she doesn't work something out and soon.

winterone
02-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Hey I saw the "Queen Mirai" in a fancy restaurant after he long program in San Jose. She has no troubles in this world as she is taken care of in a big way. Spoiled and full of a sense of entitlement.

RD
02-10-2012, 05:26 AM
^ ??

(elaborate?)

genevieve
02-10-2012, 06:40 AM
or better yet, don't :rolleyes:

ballettmaus
02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
What I meant to say was that I wasn't the first one to bring them out to compare, but since someone else did, I pointed out the obvious.

Only thing is, I wasn't comparing their skating, I was comparing how they both have/had tremendous potential, placed 4th at the Olympics and the faltered afterwards as in never reaching their full potential. Sasha has a lot more medals than Mirai, certainly, still, Sasha could have done better.
They also both gave interviews in which they enjoy talking about anything but skating and I remember people say that maybe Sasha should focus more on training again instead of whatever it was at that time. Same things are said about Mirai.
Why one was able to hold it together so much better, I can't say. They're two different people, they react in different ways.
And the question still remains what Sasha really wanted. I vaguely remember that she once said in an interview that she had hoped to pull a Lipinski and skate off with the gold in SLC. I doubt Mirai had the same plans about Vancouver, however, maybe Sasha wanted the "wrong" thing after SLC which is why she was never to reach her potential and Mirai isn't sure what she wants or if what she wants is the right thing to want or what she really wants.
If you spend your entire life doing something you're also pretty good at as in having talent for then you don't question what you do. You just do it. Until you get to a point when something makes you question yourself.
And people with natural talent often have a harder time with discipline because things come naturally to them. Maybe she wonders if the increased training effort the level she's reached now requires is all worth it.

Sasha'sSpins
02-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Hey I saw the "Queen Mirai" in a fancy restaurant after he long program in San Jose. She has no troubles in this world as she is taken care of in a big way. Spoiled and full of a sense of entitlement.

:confused:

RumbleFish
02-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Miss Nagasu should have left her coach after last year's nationals.

berthesghost
02-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Miss Nagasu should have left her coach after last year's nationals.
And have had her mom sit with her in the k&c at 4cc?

Sasha'sSpins
02-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Saw this on GF-Mirai's watching 4CCs-and these tweets are the proof! I didn't see the it but per RD on GF Mirai made a remark about the bottom ladies at 4CC barely scoring 90 points (perhaps true but not nice imo):

low blow. “@DeBausch: @mirai_nagasu How about you? You couldn't beat @RachaelFlatt Stanford+Skating!! #doubleSMH #thinkbeforeyoutweet #4CC”

Mirai said "Too bad i used my ninja skills and flew over that insult". #bazinga
http://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu

Peter Murray's tweet to Mirai:
Peter Murray @blazingblades
Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite Close Open Details @mirai_nagasu Kindly remember, Every elite skater was once a 90 pt total skater. Try to live up to your potential for yourself first! #4CC
https://twitter.com/#!/blazingblades
In reply to Mirai Nagasu Hide conversation 1h Peter Murray @blazingblades
Reply RetweetedRetweet Delete FavoritedFavorite Close Open Details
@mirai_nagasu Me thinks you need a Dick Button spanking for those remarks! Be nice! #4CC

then:
Peter Murray @blazingblades
Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite Close Open Details @mirai_nagasu Please know we all love you. This 68 yr-old cranky dude loves all skaters from beginner to elites, so pls 4give my crankiness!

Mirai seems to have deleted her earlier remarks-I don't see them there now.

eurodance2001
02-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Mirai needs to STFU, train, and then compete like she wants to be competing.. She looked distant and indifferent all season.. I'm sure that's how she trains as well thus, her lackluster performances...

OnyxRose81
02-12-2012, 05:15 AM
I've been a fan of Mirai's skating but she seriously needs to grow up, get off twitter and figure out what she wants to do. It's exasperating (hence the thread title) to have all the talent in the world but not knowing what to do with it. There is no reason why she shouldn't be heading to Worlds but she's going to be sitting at home. Frank needs to cut her if she doesn't start showing some dedication.

orbitz
02-12-2012, 05:20 AM
Mirai needs to STFU, .

No she doesn't. I'm sure she felt good telling off all the arm-chair critics that are throwing their barbs at her.